Dec 15, 2012, 10:20 AM EDT
Georgia Tech made it through the fall semester with a 6-2 record and now get an added boost heading into the winter break, as the Yellow Jackets add freshman guard Solomon Poole to the roster.
Poole, who signed with Georgia Tech back in November and graduated from North Florida Educational Institute also this fall. Last week, he was admitted to Georgia Tech.
“Our program is really excited to have Solomon join us at this time,” Georiga Tech head coach Brian Gregory said in a press release on Friday. “I’m really proud of all the hard work he has put in to get himself into this position. I know Solomon is ready to help this team in any way he can, and in any role possible. While this is great for our program currently, it will also accelerate Solomon’s progress in the future.”
According to the release, Saturday – which marks the first day after the fall semester has ended – will be the first day the 6-foot Poole can practice with the team. Ken Sugiura of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, also reported on Friday that Poole will be eligible to play on Monday against Alabama State.
Georgia Tech adds Solomon’s older brother, Stacey, next week. The elder Poole is expected to be eligible for the Dec. 22 game against the Citadel. Stacey Poole played his freshman season at Kentucky in 2010-2011.
“Solomon has the explosiveness and athletic ability that fits in extremely well with our style of play,” Gregory had previously stated. “I really like his ability to create scoring opportunities for others and for himself in both the open-court and half-court situations. His tremendous work ethic and toughness will allow him to immediately compete on the ACC level.”
Poole will add a fourth-guard to Georgia Tech’s offensive alongside Marcus Georges-Hunt, Mfon Udofia, and Brandon Reed. Georges-Hunt and Udofia are the two leading scorers for the Yellow Jackets, while Reed has started every game.
Poole committed Georgia Tech back in June, picking the Yellow Jackets over other offers from Louisville, Georgia, Memphis, UCLA, and Oklahoma State.
(Photo credit: Adidas)
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)