Dec 16, 2012, 1:38 PM EDT
If you’re 7-3, you likely won’t be featured in the New York Times. If you’re a musician in a college marching band, you likely won’t be featured in the New York Times. But if you’re a 7-3 musician in a college marching band who also happens to play on the school’s basketball team, you’ve got a chance.
Andrew Del Piero, LSU’s 7-3 senior center, got his first start of the year against Seton Hall on Nov. 29 and is now finding his spot in the Tigers’ regular rotation. The former sousaphone player was on a music scholarship at LSU before walking on to the school’s basketball team.
He has seen minutes in all seven of LSU’s games and, though he’s not in the running for any all-conference teams, is averaging a solid 4.9 points and 3.1 rebounds per game while shooting an impressive 75 percent from the floor.
He wasn’t always that way, though, he tells the New York Times.
“I was really uncoordinated when I was younger and I got discouraged,” Del Piero said, according to the paper. “It wasn’t what I wanted to do. At the time, anyway.”
“A lot of people at school had seen me play, and they knew that I wasn’t a basketball player,” he added.
He then, according to the report, began to play in the school’s recreational league and gained confidence along the way. With a boost from former LSU forward Collis Temple, he walked on to the team and is now finding himself in the regular rotation.
Read the full NYT story here.
Below is a video of Del Piero marching with the LSU band:
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)