Dec 16, 2012, 12:05 PM EDT
Each day, CollegeBasketballTalk brings you the “Pregame Shootaround,” which will lay out a preview for the slate of games that night. We’ll take a look at some key match-ups and important games, as well as make some predictions and point out what you need to watch for. Take a look below at today’s edition:
Note: The weekend editions of Pregame Shootaround will be published half an hour prior to tip-off of the day’s first game.
Game of the Day: No. 10 Illinois vs. Eastern Kentucky
Illinois showed that it had some legitimate staying power with last week’s 85-74 win on the road over Gonzaga. Guard Brandon Paul launched himself into the early conversation for Player of the Year and John Groce proved that he can make his inherited group of players a threat in the Big Ten.
They now face a 9-0 Eastern Kentucky team that makes for an unlikely match-up of undefeated teams. The Colonels have yet to meet a BCS team this season, but bring a high-scoring and highly efficient team to Champaign on Sunday.
The Illini aren’t a particularly dominant rebounding team, but should have the advantage against a team ranked 342nd in the country in that department. Guard Glenn Cosey (17.7 points per game) is Eastern Kentucky’s biggest asset in the backcourt. He matches up with Illinois’ biggest offering, the backcourt of Paul, D.J. Richardson, and Tracy Abrams.
Who’s Getting Upset? Villanova against Delaware
Delaware has had one of the toughest schedules in the country for a mid-major so far this year, having lost to Kansas State, Pittsburgh, Temple, and Duke. Against young Ryan Arcidiacono and Villanova, the scoring of Delaware guard Devon Saddler (20.7 points per game) and rebounding of forward Jamelle Hagins (12.5 rebounds per game) might be too much for the Wildcats. Look for the Blue Hens to give ‘Nova a game Sunday.
Mid-Major Matchup of the Day: Western Kentucky vs. Murray State (3:00 p.m. ET)
With Isaiah Canaan in the national spotlight, the Racers (7-1) welcome Western Kentucky (8-2). WKU might be overmatched against Canaan (21.7 points per game) and Ed Daniel (17.1 points, 12.4 rebounds per game), but it should be a quality mid-major match-up.
The Hilltoppers are a Top 30 team in the country on the backboards, helping to make up for their deficiencies from the floor (43.7 percent). T.J. Price and Jamal Cook will be the focal points Sunday, together averaging over 32 points per game.
Five Things to Watch
1. Marcus Smart is coming off a slow 2-of-8 game against Missouri State, including 0-of-4 from three-point range last week. With time off for finals to regroup, we’ll see if the impact freshman can bounce back vs. Central Arkansas.
2. Drexel has been one of the mid-major underachievers so far this season, but a match-up with Fairfield could help get them back on track.
3. Illinois State’s high-powered offense meets Morgan State Sunday. Jackie Carmichael has momentum after a 24-point, 6-block performance against Western Michigan least week.
4. Villanova got a key confidence-boosting win over St. Joe’s this week, but runs into a battle-hardened Delaware team. Maurice Sutton had nine rebounds against the Hawks and he will have his hands full with Jamelle Hagins down low.
5. Quinnipiac ran Connecticut to the wire earlier in the season and takes on Boston University today in Massachusetts. They scored just 46 points in a loss to Vermont in their last time out and hope to reach closer to their average of 67 points per game.
Rest of the Top 25
No. 10 Illinois vs. Eastern Kentucky
No. 24 Oklahoma State vs. Central Arkansas
Other Notable Games
UAB vs. Rutgers
Delaware vs. Villanova
Mar 29, 2015, 2:24 PM EDT
Dave Leitao is the leading candidate to become the head coach at DePaul for a second time.
Mar 29, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
Five-star big man Ivan Rabb makes a clutch free throw to win a California state title.
Mar 29, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
Wisconsin and Kentucky get to play again after last season’s thrilling National Semifinal.
Mar 29, 2015, 8:37 AM EDT
The label of “best coach yet to reach a Final Four” will remain Miller’s for another offseason, whether that’s fair or not.
Mar 29, 2015, 12:50 AM EDT
The Big Ten champion and SEC champion move on to Indy.
Mar 28, 2015, 11:07 PM EDT
The Wildcats knocked off a tough Notre Dame team.
Mar 28, 2015, 8:35 PM EDT
Dekker scored 20 of his 27 points in the second half at Wisconsin beat Arizona in the Elite Eight for the second straight year.
Mar 28, 2015, 8:34 PM EDT
Frank got a little funky after Wisconsin’s win over Arizona.
Mar 28, 2015, 8:27 PM EDT
This is too funny.
Mar 28, 2015, 6:05 PM EDT
Barnes coached at Texas for 17 seasons.
Mar 28, 2015, 5:32 PM EDT
So Andrew Harrison was a grown man in middle school?
Arrests made as Michigan State fans gather, set fires near off-campus apartments after Sweet 16 win (VIDEO)
Mar 28, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
Some Michigan State students got a little too rowdy following a win over Oklahoma.
Mar 28, 2015, 1:48 PM EDT
The Citadel hired away the head coach of a Southern Conference rival.
Houston Rockets GM Daryl Morey on college hoops: ‘It’s absolute torture watching some of these games’ (AUDIO)
Mar 28, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Houston Rockets general manager Daryl Morey had some strong words on the current state of college basketball.
Mar 28, 2015, 12:17 PM EDT
Frank Kaminsky’s path to stardom may not follow that of last year’s national Player of the Year winner, Doug McDermott, but it’s one that many players hope to navigate during their own time in school.
Tom Izzo blames himself, new Will Ferrell/Kevin Hart movie on Michigan State’s sluggish Sweet 16 start
Mar 28, 2015, 10:55 AM EDT
Michigan State might have been the only people in the country watching “Get Hard” on Friday afternoon.
Former oddsmaker believes Kentucky would be underdog against all-time great college basketball teams
Mar 28, 2015, 9:40 AM EDT
Kentucky might finish the 2014-15 season unblemished, but how do they stack up against some of the best teams in college basketball history?
Mar 28, 2015, 12:52 AM EDT
Get caught up on all of Friday’s NCAA tournament action.
Mar 28, 2015, 12:27 AM EDT
The schedule for Sunday’s Elite 8 games.
Mar 28, 2015, 12:23 AM EDT
Second straight Elite 8 appearance for Tom Izzo and Co.
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see 3
- No. 2 Arizona, Sean Miller’s quest to reach Final Four once again falls short 5
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four 60
- Sam Dekker, Frank Kaminsky catch fire as No. 1 Wisconsin beats No. 2 Arizona 9
- Rick Barnes is no longer the head coach at Texas 14
- Frank Kaminsky’s growth results in individual and team benefits for No. 1 Wisconsin 3
- Tourney Snacks: Duke-Gonzaga, Louisville-Michigan State advance to Elite 8 11
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (60)
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten, SEC champions headed to Indy (25)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)