Dec 16, 2012, 12:05 PM EST
Each day, CollegeBasketballTalk brings you the “Pregame Shootaround,” which will lay out a preview for the slate of games that night. We’ll take a look at some key match-ups and important games, as well as make some predictions and point out what you need to watch for. Take a look below at today’s edition:
Note: The weekend editions of Pregame Shootaround will be published half an hour prior to tip-off of the day’s first game.
Game of the Day: No. 10 Illinois vs. Eastern Kentucky
Illinois showed that it had some legitimate staying power with last week’s 85-74 win on the road over Gonzaga. Guard Brandon Paul launched himself into the early conversation for Player of the Year and John Groce proved that he can make his inherited group of players a threat in the Big Ten.
They now face a 9-0 Eastern Kentucky team that makes for an unlikely match-up of undefeated teams. The Colonels have yet to meet a BCS team this season, but bring a high-scoring and highly efficient team to Champaign on Sunday.
The Illini aren’t a particularly dominant rebounding team, but should have the advantage against a team ranked 342nd in the country in that department. Guard Glenn Cosey (17.7 points per game) is Eastern Kentucky’s biggest asset in the backcourt. He matches up with Illinois’ biggest offering, the backcourt of Paul, D.J. Richardson, and Tracy Abrams.
Who’s Getting Upset? Villanova against Delaware
Delaware has had one of the toughest schedules in the country for a mid-major so far this year, having lost to Kansas State, Pittsburgh, Temple, and Duke. Against young Ryan Arcidiacono and Villanova, the scoring of Delaware guard Devon Saddler (20.7 points per game) and rebounding of forward Jamelle Hagins (12.5 rebounds per game) might be too much for the Wildcats. Look for the Blue Hens to give ‘Nova a game Sunday.
Mid-Major Matchup of the Day: Western Kentucky vs. Murray State (3:00 p.m. ET)
With Isaiah Canaan in the national spotlight, the Racers (7-1) welcome Western Kentucky (8-2). WKU might be overmatched against Canaan (21.7 points per game) and Ed Daniel (17.1 points, 12.4 rebounds per game), but it should be a quality mid-major match-up.
The Hilltoppers are a Top 30 team in the country on the backboards, helping to make up for their deficiencies from the floor (43.7 percent). T.J. Price and Jamal Cook will be the focal points Sunday, together averaging over 32 points per game.
Five Things to Watch
1. Marcus Smart is coming off a slow 2-of-8 game against Missouri State, including 0-of-4 from three-point range last week. With time off for finals to regroup, we’ll see if the impact freshman can bounce back vs. Central Arkansas.
2. Drexel has been one of the mid-major underachievers so far this season, but a match-up with Fairfield could help get them back on track.
3. Illinois State’s high-powered offense meets Morgan State Sunday. Jackie Carmichael has momentum after a 24-point, 6-block performance against Western Michigan least week.
4. Villanova got a key confidence-boosting win over St. Joe’s this week, but runs into a battle-hardened Delaware team. Maurice Sutton had nine rebounds against the Hawks and he will have his hands full with Jamelle Hagins down low.
5. Quinnipiac ran Connecticut to the wire earlier in the season and takes on Boston University today in Massachusetts. They scored just 46 points in a loss to Vermont in their last time out and hope to reach closer to their average of 67 points per game.
Rest of the Top 25
No. 10 Illinois vs. Eastern Kentucky
No. 24 Oklahoma State vs. Central Arkansas
Other Notable Games
UAB vs. Rutgers
Delaware vs. Villanova
Mar 8, 2014, 6:15 PM EST
No. 19 UConn has struggled to crack 70 points during a recent six-game stretch and it could lead to an early exit for the Huskies in the postseason.
Mar 8, 2014, 6:01 PM EST
The top seed in next week’s American Athletic Conference was determined by an old school method Saturday afternoon.
Mar 8, 2014, 6:00 PM EST
Cleanthony Early scored 20 points to lead No. 2 Wichita State to a 67-42 rout of Missouri State in the semifinals of the Missouri Valley tournament. The Shockers improve to 33-0 on the season with the victory, one game away from heading into Selection Sunday with an unblemished record. They will play the winner of…
Mar 8, 2014, 5:06 PM EST
As Louisville sophomore forward Montrezl Harrell puts up huge numbers against great competition in the last few weeks are the Cardinals a threat to make a run at back-to-back national titles?
Mar 8, 2014, 4:14 PM EST
At this point, there should be no questioning whether or not Oklahoma State is back to being the team that they were back in December. If it wasn’t for a missed free throw from Phil Forte, an 88.9% free throw shooter, and a buzzer-beating three from Naz Long at the end of regulation, the Cowboys…
Mar 8, 2014, 3:34 PM EST
No. 8 Kansas fell on the road to West Virginia on Saturday, but the Jayhawks will take the loss knowing that the superstar version of Andrew Wiggins might have finally come to life.
Mar 8, 2014, 3:21 PM EST
Just how concerned should we be by Kentucky’s struggles over the last two weeks?
Mar 8, 2014, 2:53 PM EST
Oklahoma State star Marcus Smart has developed a reputation for flopping this season. Don’t, for a second, think that opposing student sections haven’t noticed.
Mar 8, 2014, 2:41 PM EST
No. 1 Florida spent Saturday showcasing just what makes them so dangerous heading into the NCAA tournament.
Mar 8, 2014, 2:36 PM EST
No. 20 Memphis is known for the play of its senior guards, but does their improving frontcourt give them a chance at a postseason run?
Mar 8, 2014, 12:16 PM EST
Get caught up on all of Saturday’s bubble action
Mar 8, 2014, 12:00 PM EST
As the regular season nears an end, Bob Baptist of the Columbus Dispatch has a fantastic feature on Ohio State senior point guard Aaron Craft that you should definitely check out.
Mar 8, 2014, 10:40 AM EST
Conference tournament action heats up on Saturday as the Ohio Valley Conference’s title game takes place and 12 different leagues have tournament action. We preview the day’s action here.
Mar 8, 2014, 9:00 AM EST
Although conference tournaments are underway, there are still plenty of tremendous regular-season matchups on Saturday including No. 14 North Carolina at No. 4 Duke and a pair of top-25 matchups in the American.
Mar 8, 2014, 8:00 AM EST
Jason Garrett and Tony Romo get some shots up at Cameron, and the quarterback can shoot.
Mar 8, 2014, 1:00 AM EST
A recap of Friday night’s action, including Harvard wrapping up the Ivy League crown
Mar 7, 2014, 10:22 PM EST
Siyani Chambers and company played much better in the rematch, beating Yale to earn a third consecutive NCAA tournament berth.
Mar 7, 2014, 9:38 PM EST
Meet Harvard, the first team to wrap up a spot in the 2014 NCAA tournament.
Mar 7, 2014, 7:15 PM EST
Harvard looks to wrap up its third consecutive trip to the NCAA tournament.
Mar 7, 2014, 6:25 PM EST
South Carolina head coach Frank Martin met with the media to address the actions that led to his one-game suspension
- No. 8 Kansas loses, but The Andrew Wiggins Show is what’s important 1
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league 2
- Bubble Banter: St. John’s, Stanford headline Saturday’s early winners 0
- Harvard wraps up third consecutive NCAA tournament berth (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend Preview: The regular season comes to a close 1
- For the first time in months, No. 22 Michigan State and Keith Appling look healthy 6
- Senior starters once again carry No. 15 Cincinnati 0
- Undefeated regular season says all we need to know about No. 2 Wichita State (9)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- Finally at full strength, Michigan State sleepwalks through loss to Illinois (6)
- Kentucky hits rock bottom, loses at South Carolina (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest Top 25 (6)