Dec 16, 2012, 12:05 PM EDT
Each day, CollegeBasketballTalk brings you the “Pregame Shootaround,” which will lay out a preview for the slate of games that night. We’ll take a look at some key match-ups and important games, as well as make some predictions and point out what you need to watch for. Take a look below at today’s edition:
Note: The weekend editions of Pregame Shootaround will be published half an hour prior to tip-off of the day’s first game.
Game of the Day: No. 10 Illinois vs. Eastern Kentucky
Illinois showed that it had some legitimate staying power with last week’s 85-74 win on the road over Gonzaga. Guard Brandon Paul launched himself into the early conversation for Player of the Year and John Groce proved that he can make his inherited group of players a threat in the Big Ten.
They now face a 9-0 Eastern Kentucky team that makes for an unlikely match-up of undefeated teams. The Colonels have yet to meet a BCS team this season, but bring a high-scoring and highly efficient team to Champaign on Sunday.
The Illini aren’t a particularly dominant rebounding team, but should have the advantage against a team ranked 342nd in the country in that department. Guard Glenn Cosey (17.7 points per game) is Eastern Kentucky’s biggest asset in the backcourt. He matches up with Illinois’ biggest offering, the backcourt of Paul, D.J. Richardson, and Tracy Abrams.
Who’s Getting Upset? Villanova against Delaware
Delaware has had one of the toughest schedules in the country for a mid-major so far this year, having lost to Kansas State, Pittsburgh, Temple, and Duke. Against young Ryan Arcidiacono and Villanova, the scoring of Delaware guard Devon Saddler (20.7 points per game) and rebounding of forward Jamelle Hagins (12.5 rebounds per game) might be too much for the Wildcats. Look for the Blue Hens to give ‘Nova a game Sunday.
Mid-Major Matchup of the Day: Western Kentucky vs. Murray State (3:00 p.m. ET)
With Isaiah Canaan in the national spotlight, the Racers (7-1) welcome Western Kentucky (8-2). WKU might be overmatched against Canaan (21.7 points per game) and Ed Daniel (17.1 points, 12.4 rebounds per game), but it should be a quality mid-major match-up.
The Hilltoppers are a Top 30 team in the country on the backboards, helping to make up for their deficiencies from the floor (43.7 percent). T.J. Price and Jamal Cook will be the focal points Sunday, together averaging over 32 points per game.
Five Things to Watch
1. Marcus Smart is coming off a slow 2-of-8 game against Missouri State, including 0-of-4 from three-point range last week. With time off for finals to regroup, we’ll see if the impact freshman can bounce back vs. Central Arkansas.
2. Drexel has been one of the mid-major underachievers so far this season, but a match-up with Fairfield could help get them back on track.
3. Illinois State’s high-powered offense meets Morgan State Sunday. Jackie Carmichael has momentum after a 24-point, 6-block performance against Western Michigan least week.
4. Villanova got a key confidence-boosting win over St. Joe’s this week, but runs into a battle-hardened Delaware team. Maurice Sutton had nine rebounds against the Hawks and he will have his hands full with Jamelle Hagins down low.
5. Quinnipiac ran Connecticut to the wire earlier in the season and takes on Boston University today in Massachusetts. They scored just 46 points in a loss to Vermont in their last time out and hope to reach closer to their average of 67 points per game.
Rest of the Top 25
No. 10 Illinois vs. Eastern Kentucky
No. 24 Oklahoma State vs. Central Arkansas
Other Notable Games
UAB vs. Rutgers
Delaware vs. Villanova
Apr 17, 2015, 10:23 PM EDT
Cheick Diallo won named MVP for both the McDonald’s All-American Game and Jordan Brand Classic.
Apr 17, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT
Hoiberg just completed his fifth season at Iowa State.
Apr 17, 2015, 8:20 PM EDT
The Aztecs now have no commits for 2016.
Apr 17, 2015, 7:18 PM EDT
Domantas Sabonis previously announced he would return.
Apr 17, 2015, 6:05 PM EDT
The Jordan Brand Classic is Friday night at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn.
Apr 17, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
The former Villanova guard cut his list to eight.
Apr 17, 2015, 4:23 PM EDT
Thanks to this ruling Neal will have three years of eligibility remaining.
Apr 17, 2015, 3:19 PM EDT
Heron, who committed to Pitt back in January 2014, says he will continue to consider Jamie Dixon’s program.
Apr 17, 2015, 1:31 PM EDT
Dazon Ingram joins Brandon Austin and Donta Hall, both of whom remained committed following the firing of Anthony Grant, in Alabama’s 2015 class.
Former Florida guard discusses Billy Donovan’s potential as an NBA head coach on ‘Dan Patrick Show’ (VIDEO)
Apr 17, 2015, 12:45 PM EDT
Beal spoke highly of his college coach, including how a possible adjustment would go should Donovan decide to try his hand at the NBA game.
Apr 17, 2015, 12:19 PM EDT
Harris is the fifth departure from the Kansas State program since the end of the season.
Apr 17, 2015, 11:02 AM EDT
Hooley’s game-winning shot in the America East title game came less than two months after his mother passed from a lengthy bout with colon cancer.
Apr 17, 2015, 12:04 AM EDT
Hale is Alabama’s leading returning scorer, as he averaged 8.2 points per game last season.
Apr 16, 2015, 11:51 PM EDT
Landing Zimmerman is a big deal for Dave Rice, who could use the boost after a disappointing 2014-15.
Apr 16, 2015, 10:56 PM EDT
Michigan won’t lack for big men when Davis arrives on campus in 2016, but that will give him time to develop as a freshman.
Apr 16, 2015, 8:02 PM EDT
Costello dealt with the knee issue down the stretch, but the procedure isn’t expected to keep him out of offseason workouts for too long.
Apr 16, 2015, 6:32 PM EDT
The Mountain West is guaranteed one of the eight slots in the field.
Apr 16, 2015, 3:58 PM EDT
With the NBA coaching carousel getting started, which college coaches will be linked to the jobs?
Apr 16, 2015, 3:06 PM EDT
This will forever put a smile on my face.
Apr 16, 2015, 1:57 PM EDT
Duke-bound Luke Kennard discusses the Blue Devils’ one-and-dones and filling the point guard role.
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 3
- College basketball’s eight most important NBA Draft decisions 1
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 8
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 10
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft 11
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft 8
- Bobby Portis announces that he is turning pro 0
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (10)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (8)
- 6-foot-11 center Antonio Vrankovic commits to Duke (6)