Dec 16, 2012, 3:24 PM EST
After Syracuse’s 85-61 win over Canisius on Saturday, Jim Boeheim’s 899th of his career, all eyes now shift to Monday night when the Orange take on Detroit and Boeheim goes for win No. 900.
A win Monday would make Boeheim only the third coach in the history of men’s college basketball to win 900 career games, going Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski (936 and counting) and former Indiana coach Bob Knight (902). Boehiem is unique in that he has been with Syracuse for the entirety of his career.
His first win with the Orange came against Harvard in 1976, a 75-48 victory.
Ironically, it seems, this is all coming within the context of the Big East’s demise, a conference that has defined Boeheim and his Syracuse program for more than three decades. On Saturday, the core Catholic schools that constituted the Big East in its early days, voted unanimously to withdraw from the conference and pursue the formation of an independent league.
This is Syracuse’s final season in the league before leaving for the ACC. The No. 4 Orange are one of the early contenders for a national championship, which would be his second. He won his first with now-NBA star Carmelo Anthony.
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)