Dec 16, 2012, 3:24 PM EDT
After Syracuse’s 85-61 win over Canisius on Saturday, Jim Boeheim’s 899th of his career, all eyes now shift to Monday night when the Orange take on Detroit and Boeheim goes for win No. 900.
A win Monday would make Boeheim only the third coach in the history of men’s college basketball to win 900 career games, going Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski (936 and counting) and former Indiana coach Bob Knight (902). Boehiem is unique in that he has been with Syracuse for the entirety of his career.
His first win with the Orange came against Harvard in 1976, a 75-48 victory.
Ironically, it seems, this is all coming within the context of the Big East’s demise, a conference that has defined Boeheim and his Syracuse program for more than three decades. On Saturday, the core Catholic schools that constituted the Big East in its early days, voted unanimously to withdraw from the conference and pursue the formation of an independent league.
This is Syracuse’s final season in the league before leaving for the ACC. The No. 4 Orange are one of the early contenders for a national championship, which would be his second. He won his first with now-NBA star Carmelo Anthony.
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 0
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 3
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- Karl-Anthony Towns becomes Kentucky’s third top overall pick in program history 1
- Syracuse makes it official that Mike Hopkins will take over in 2018 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- Five-star guard to announce college choice Wednesday evening (5)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Jamal Murray’s commitment a huge boost for Kentucky (4)