Dec 16, 2012, 3:24 PM EST
After Syracuse’s 85-61 win over Canisius on Saturday, Jim Boeheim’s 899th of his career, all eyes now shift to Monday night when the Orange take on Detroit and Boeheim goes for win No. 900.
A win Monday would make Boeheim only the third coach in the history of men’s college basketball to win 900 career games, going Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski (936 and counting) and former Indiana coach Bob Knight (902). Boehiem is unique in that he has been with Syracuse for the entirety of his career.
His first win with the Orange came against Harvard in 1976, a 75-48 victory.
Ironically, it seems, this is all coming within the context of the Big East’s demise, a conference that has defined Boeheim and his Syracuse program for more than three decades. On Saturday, the core Catholic schools that constituted the Big East in its early days, voted unanimously to withdraw from the conference and pursue the formation of an independent league.
This is Syracuse’s final season in the league before leaving for the ACC. The No. 4 Orange are one of the early contenders for a national championship, which would be his second. He won his first with now-NBA star Carmelo Anthony.
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 10
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 3
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (10)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)