Dec 16, 2012, 3:24 PM EDT
After Syracuse’s 85-61 win over Canisius on Saturday, Jim Boeheim’s 899th of his career, all eyes now shift to Monday night when the Orange take on Detroit and Boeheim goes for win No. 900.
A win Monday would make Boeheim only the third coach in the history of men’s college basketball to win 900 career games, going Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski (936 and counting) and former Indiana coach Bob Knight (902). Boehiem is unique in that he has been with Syracuse for the entirety of his career.
His first win with the Orange came against Harvard in 1976, a 75-48 victory.
Ironically, it seems, this is all coming within the context of the Big East’s demise, a conference that has defined Boeheim and his Syracuse program for more than three decades. On Saturday, the core Catholic schools that constituted the Big East in its early days, voted unanimously to withdraw from the conference and pursue the formation of an independent league.
This is Syracuse’s final season in the league before leaving for the ACC. The No. 4 Orange are one of the early contenders for a national championship, which would be his second. He won his first with now-NBA star Carmelo Anthony.
- Five-star shooting guard focusing on ten schools 0
- Isaac Humphries is Kentucky’s insurance policy inside, but should that be concerning? 2
- Source: Isaac Humphries expected to commit to Kentucky, enroll in 2015 1
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)
- Wichita State forward working hard to improve offensive repertoire (3)
- Bruce Pearl on his time at Tennessee: ‘I ran a clean program’ (3)
- Another Division I coach loses their job in the wake of the Donnie Tyndall scandal (3)