Dec 17, 2012, 10:04 PM EDT
Frank Haith has to rely on a ton of transfers this season. Quite possibly the most important of all of them debuted tonight in Jabari Brown.
Brown, a 6-5 swingman who came from Oregon, finished with 12 points in a 102-51 home win over South Carolina State. In all, Brown went for his 12 on 3-for-9 shooting, 1-for-7 from three-point range and 5-for-6 from the free throw line. He chipped in three assists, a rebound and two turnovers in 20 minutes off the bench.
Many believe Brown is the missing piece that will steady Missouri, who needed a little better guard play since Michael Dixon decided to leave the team. Brown’s off to a solid start.
The transfers have been doing fine without him, though. Earnest Ross had a team-high 16 in a balanced effort from Missouri where five players finished in double-figures. In all, 10 players played at least 15 minutes as well.
I guess now this puts Brown in front as the newcomer of the night between himself, UNLV’s Khem Birch and Georgia Tech’s Solomon Poole. All three players are eligible tonight for their first game action.
David Harten is a sportswriter and college basketball blogger. You can follow him on Twitter at @David_Harten.
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)