Dec 17, 2012, 10:04 PM EDT
Frank Haith has to rely on a ton of transfers this season. Quite possibly the most important of all of them debuted tonight in Jabari Brown.
Brown, a 6-5 swingman who came from Oregon, finished with 12 points in a 102-51 home win over South Carolina State. In all, Brown went for his 12 on 3-for-9 shooting, 1-for-7 from three-point range and 5-for-6 from the free throw line. He chipped in three assists, a rebound and two turnovers in 20 minutes off the bench.
Many believe Brown is the missing piece that will steady Missouri, who needed a little better guard play since Michael Dixon decided to leave the team. Brown’s off to a solid start.
The transfers have been doing fine without him, though. Earnest Ross had a team-high 16 in a balanced effort from Missouri where five players finished in double-figures. In all, 10 players played at least 15 minutes as well.
I guess now this puts Brown in front as the newcomer of the night between himself, UNLV’s Khem Birch and Georgia Tech’s Solomon Poole. All three players are eligible tonight for their first game action.
David Harten is a sportswriter and college basketball blogger. You can follow him on Twitter at @David_Harten.
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 5
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)