Dec 17, 2012, 2:30 PM EDT
Game of the Day: 8:00 p.m.: No. 21 UNLV at UTEP (CBS College Sports)
The big news of this game isn’t necessarily the game itself; it’s about the changeover in the UNLV roster. This marks the Rebels’ first game against a Division I opponent that will come with Mike Moser laid up with his dislocated elbow and with Khem Birch back in the lineup. When Moser suffered the injury, one of the things that we speculated about was whether this could end up being a blessing in disguise for UNLV. Anthony Bennett has proven that not only does he play a similar position to Moser, but he may actually be better at the role than Moser is. If Birch ends up living up to his potential, that would mean Moser would be forced to play the three. He’s not a natural three. He’s only going to be out a month, so it will be quite interesting to see where UNLV goes from here.
Who’s Getting Upset?: Northwestern (8:00 p.m., Big Ten)
The Wildcats announced over the weekend that Drew Crawford, their leading scorer, would miss the rest of the season after he elected to undergo surgery on his shoulder. Crawford was the team’s second-leading scorer, but saw his production drop from last season as he’s been battling the torn labrum. How will the Wildcats respond? Texas State has a couple of good front court players and should matchup well inside.
Mid-Major Matchup of the Day: 10:00 p.m.: Cal Poly at Santa Clara
Cal Poly has just two Division I wins this season, but one of those wins happens to be against UCLA. They’ve also been competitive in road games against TCU, St. Mary’s and Nevada. Santa Clara is sneaky good this year, as they have one of the most underrated 1-2-3 punches this season in Kevin Foster, Marc Trasolini and Evan Roquemore.
Five Things to Watch
1. UConn will be playing their first game (UMES at 7:00 p.m., ESPN3) since the massacre in Newtown on Friday. Newtown is an hour and change from Storrs.
2. Detroit takes on Syracuse at 7:00 p.m. (ESPNU), which should make for an exciting game as the Titans are one of the favorites in the Horizon League this year. If Syracuse does win, it will be Jim Boeheim’s 900th victory.
3. UNLV isn’t the only team getting a player eligible tonight. No. 12 Missouri will have Jabari Brown eligible for the first time this season as they take on South Carolina State tonight at 8:00 p.m. (ESPN3).
4. Georgia Tech has been better than some people expected this season, and they’ll be getting a perimeter boost tonight as Solomon Poole will be eligible to play for the first time tonight against Alabama State at 7:00 p.m. (ESPN3).
5. Torrey Craig of USC-Upstate is one of the best mid-major players in the country, averaging 19.5 points this season. He’ll get a chance to showcase his skills against one of the best frontlines in the country tonight as USCU will take on Baylor at 8:00 p.m.
Rest of the Top 25
7:00 p.m.: IPFW at No. 22 Notre Dame (ESPN3)
Jul 21, 2014, 11:43 PM EDT
DePaul redshirt freshman forward DeJuan Marrero will play his sophomore season at Chipola.
Malik Newman, Ivan Rabb, Jayson Tatum, Malik Monk among 33 members battling for USA U17 roster spots this week
Jul 21, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
The USA U17 tryouts have a lot of big names and it will also be important for the last week of the July live evaluation period.
Jul 21, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
Isaiah Briscoe helped lead the New Jersey Playaz to a title at Peach Jam.
Jul 21, 2014, 7:45 PM EDT
Bruce Brown was a promising two-sport athlete, but gave up football to focus on basketball.
Jul 21, 2014, 6:10 PM EDT
Walker is the second commitment for the Cardinal this spring.
Jul 21, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT
Seven additional thoughts on Nike’s Peach Jam, including Ben Simmons’ one weakness, Malik Monk and how college coaches look at parents
Jul 21, 2014, 3:46 PM EDT
The whole situation regarding Jacksons recruitment is weird.
Jul 21, 2014, 2:54 PM EDT
Tatum is the best player in the class.
Jul 21, 2014, 1:54 PM EDT
Seven thoughts from my time in Augusta
Jul 21, 2014, 12:28 PM EDT
The Hoosiers will be in shape come September, that’s for sure.
Jul 21, 2014, 11:26 AM EDT
The latest in our series of anonymous quotes from coaches on the players they recruit.
Jul 21, 2014, 10:09 AM EDT
Simmons is a much better passer than you’ll see in this video.
Jul 20, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
After playing sparingly last season, Lucas is hoping to take a significant step forward in 2014-15.
Jul 20, 2014, 10:10 PM EDT
Fans may look to compare Gary Payton II to his father, something both hope to avoid this season, but his role as point guard is an important one.
Jul 20, 2014, 7:46 PM EDT
Djambo’s playing time was unlikely to increase had he remained at Clemson, where he played 9.2 minutes per game last season.
Jul 20, 2014, 6:46 PM EDT
McQuaid’s de-commitment leaves SMU with one verbal pledge in its 2015 recruiting class.
Jul 20, 2014, 5:39 PM EDT
Apparently there were some questions at the Peach Jam regarding the possibility of Simmons returning to Australia in 2015 to play professionally instead of attending LSU.
Jul 20, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
Brown won Pac-12 Most Improved Player honors last season, helping lead the Cardinal to the Sweet 16.
Jul 20, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
The 6-foot-4 Walker played just one season at Stony Brook.
Jul 20, 2014, 2:36 PM EDT
It’s the second commit for Rick Pitino this week.
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Seven Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 1
- CBT Quotables Part IV: The Lawsons, Stephen Zimmerman, Malik Monk 1
- Peach Jam Saturday Recap: Rabb, Zimmerman go big, Chris Clarke goes hard, Lawson bros advance 0
- Nike Peach Jam Saturday Recap: Jayson Tatum, DeAndre Ayton and Briscoe vs. Trier 0
- Peach Jam Recruiting Notebook: Jamal Murray plays well, Tyler Davis has big day, Juwan Morgan likes two 0
- Skipping college makes Emmanuel Mudiay the most important player in 2014 class (5)
- Study says Louisville has the best fanbase for second straight season (4)
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)