Dec 17, 2012, 10:25 PM EDT
We’ve seen sports teams from various states, both far and neighboring, honor the victims of the Sandy Hook Elementary School tragedy in Newtown, Conn. since Friday. On Monday night, UConn got their opportunity to honor their fallen in-state citizens.
The men’s basketball team held a heart-felt memorial before their game with Maryland-Eastern Shore. Along with a moment of silence, players like Ryan Boatright (pictured) wrote SH on his face and 26 students held candles to honor the 26 victims shot to death, 20 of them children ages 6 and 7, in the tragedy that rocked the nation.
The Huskies also honored the fallen with a green, rectangular patch on their jerseys with the letters “SH” on them. Others also wore green and white ribbons in tribute, according to the Associated Press.
UConn’s campus in Storrs, Conn., is located about 75 miles northeast of Newtown.
While all memorials have been equally heart-wrenching, one that honors the victims in the state where the unthinkable act occurred carried a little more impact, I’d imagine. Some in that crowd on Monday night may have been friends or relatives of those who died and with Connecticut having no professional teams in any of the major sports, UConn has the state’s attention. They did right by the state, definitely.
Great job by the Huskies for giving those in the state a little bit, however small, to smile at with an 84-50 over Maryland-Eastern Shore.
David Harten is a sportswriter and college basketball blogger. You can follow him on Twitter at @David_Harten.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)