Dec 17, 2012, 10:11 AM EDT
Virginia Tech entered this season short-handed, as Seth Greenberg’s untimely firing coupled with Motrezl Harrell and Dorian Finney-Smith leaving before giving new head coach James Johnson a chance severely limited the Hokie rotation.
That rotation is now down to seven players, as freshman Marshall Wood fractured the third metatarsal bone in his left foot and will be out indefinitely.
“I feel extremely bad for Marshall,” Johnson said. “This young man has been playing well. He was really starting to come into his own and playing with confidence. He has been helping the team in a lot of ways. This is a setback to Marshall and setback to our team.”
This is a bigger problem for the Hokies than it would be for another program due to the uptempo system that Johnson wants to play. After a 7-0 start, Virginia Tech has lost two of their last three games, at West Virginia and, on Saturday, at home to Georgia Southern. Does that have anything to do with the lack of depth on the roster? Who knows, but we’ll find out in the coming weeks just how capable Virginia Tech is of handling those depth issues. They play at BYU on December 29th and start ACC play the following week.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)