Dec 18, 2012, 12:01 PM EDT
Ed Cooley and the Providence Friars are off to a 7-2 start this season, but they have some major reinforcements coming into the fold Tuesday against Colgate, according to Kevin McNamara of the Providence Journal.
With the first semester completed, Arizona transfer Sidiki Johnson is eligible to play and freshman guard Kris Dunn is ready after sitting out the first nine games of the season with a shoulder injury.
Johnson announced his intention to transfer to Providence early this year after seeing action in four games with Arizona to start the 2011-12 season. Reports were that Johnson and Arizona head coach Sean Miller weren’t on the best of terms at the time of his transfer, and he chose Providence to be closer to his hometown of New York City.
He was a Top 100 recruit out of high school and chose Arizona over St. John’s, Pittsburgh, West Virginia, and Providence, where he is now. His arrival gives the Friars more depth on the interior and more depth in general, being that Cooley’s team has been playing with just seven players since guard Vincent Council went down with an injury in the second game of the season.
As for Dunn, he was supposed to be paired with fellow freshman Ricky Ledo, who was ruled ineligible to play early in the season. Dunn had been out since July after undergoing surgery to repair an injured shoulder.
There were discussions as to whether Dunn would redshirt, but he now makes his debut with the Friars and adds some much needed depth, especially with Council sidelined.
The Friars tip off against Colgate at 7 p.m. ET.
To watch highlights of Sidiki Johnson, click here.
To watch highlights of Kris Dunn, click here.
- Duke lands five-star Class of 2015 wing Brandon Ingram 3
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 1
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 4
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season (4)