Dec 18, 2012, 12:01 PM EDT
Ed Cooley and the Providence Friars are off to a 7-2 start this season, but they have some major reinforcements coming into the fold Tuesday against Colgate, according to Kevin McNamara of the Providence Journal.
With the first semester completed, Arizona transfer Sidiki Johnson is eligible to play and freshman guard Kris Dunn is ready after sitting out the first nine games of the season with a shoulder injury.
Johnson announced his intention to transfer to Providence early this year after seeing action in four games with Arizona to start the 2011-12 season. Reports were that Johnson and Arizona head coach Sean Miller weren’t on the best of terms at the time of his transfer, and he chose Providence to be closer to his hometown of New York City.
He was a Top 100 recruit out of high school and chose Arizona over St. John’s, Pittsburgh, West Virginia, and Providence, where he is now. His arrival gives the Friars more depth on the interior and more depth in general, being that Cooley’s team has been playing with just seven players since guard Vincent Council went down with an injury in the second game of the season.
As for Dunn, he was supposed to be paired with fellow freshman Ricky Ledo, who was ruled ineligible to play early in the season. Dunn had been out since July after undergoing surgery to repair an injured shoulder.
There were discussions as to whether Dunn would redshirt, but he now makes his debut with the Friars and adds some much needed depth, especially with Council sidelined.
The Friars tip off against Colgate at 7 p.m. ET.
To watch highlights of Sidiki Johnson, click here.
To watch highlights of Kris Dunn, click here.
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 2
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 2
- The bond between Rick Byrd and Casey Alexander crosses rivalry lines 1
- John Calipari: ‘We’re chasing perfection’ (14)
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (4)
- The Big Ten is setting records for their revenue (3)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement