Dec 19, 2012, 8:00 AM EDT
We’ve got a pretty good slate of games on tap tonight, including the much-anticipated Crosstown Classic between Xavier and Cincinnati. The college basketball world continues to show their support to those who were involved in the horrific Sandy Hook Elementary School Shooting.
Lets hit the links.
Wednesday’s Top Games:
7:00 p.m. – Cornell @ No. 1 Duke
7:00 p.m. – Florida International @ No. 5 Louisville
7:00 p.m. – Xavier vs. No. 11 Cincinnati
7:00 p.m. – Illinois State @ Dayton
7:30 p.m. – Ohio @ Massachusetts
8:05 p.m. – Tulsa @ No. 17 Creighton
8:00 p.m. – South Dakota State @ Belmont
8:00 p.m. – Oregon @ UTEP
9:00 p.m. – No. 23 North Carolina @ Texas
9:00 p.m. – Oakland @ West Virginia
10:00 p.m. – Pacific @ St. Mary’s
10:00 p.m. – Northern Iowa @ No. 21 UNLV
11:00 p.m. – Ole Miss @ Loyola Marymount
Read(s) of the Day:
This is one of the best articles I’ve read all month and potentially all year. Jason King does a masterful job detailing the priceless tutelage provided by John Lucas to troubled players and coaches. If you read only one article today, make sure it’s this. (ESPN)
Providence honors Newtown victims with jersey, 26 empty seats: Providence played on Tuesday night and their way of honoring the memory of the victims was to wear the colors of Sandy Hook Elementary School. Many schools have done a marvelous job of honoring Sandy Hook and Newtown, but the good people at Providence should be applauded for their swift efforts.
VIDEO: How did Jim Boeheim make it to 900? Vin Parise joined NBC Sports’ SportsTalk to break down exactly how Jim Boeheim made it to this spectacular point in his illustrious coaching career.
Holiday Wish List for Ohio State: In order for the Buckeyes to make consecutive Final-Fours, they will need to ask for more minutes for Shannon Scott and increased consistency from Lenzelle Smith and LaQuinton Ross.
Can Miami really be the second best team in the ACC? The Hurricanes have a front line big enough to compete with anyone in the league and has a balanced attack that features five players averaging double figures. Miami picked the right season to peak. With the rest of the ACC down, Jim Larranaga has enough talent to make a push to be the second best team in the league.
– We’re less than 48 hours away from finding out where Jabari Parker will attend college, and the father of the nation’s top recruit doesn’t know which school his son will choose. (ESPN Chicago)
– Wichita State’s Ron Baker becomes third Shocker starter to miss time due to injury (Wichita Eagle)
– Louisville center Gorgui Dieng likely to sit out with injury until after New Year’s Day (The Dagger)
– Duke redshirt freshman Marshall Plumlee is set to make his debut tonight when the Blue Devils take on Cornell. The youngest Plumlee brother had been sidelined with a stress fracture in his foot for the last two months (Rant Sports)
– Purdue reserve guard Jay Simpson will miss the rest of the 2012-2013 season due to a foot injury and will be eligible to seek a medical redshirt hardship waiver. (Lafayette Journal Courier)
Observations & Insight:
– A nice-read on Memphis’ dunk machine D.J. Stephens, who has evolved from athletic project to senior leader. (Memphis Commercial Appeal)
– Nicole Auerbach spent some time in the Queen City and profiled the anatomy of a rivalry. (USA Today)
– A miscommunication between Keith Appling and Tom Izzo resulted in Bowling Green players being a little upset with the way the Spartans finished off their ten point victory over the Falcons. (MLive.com)
– Winthrop head coach Pat Kelsey spoke out about the Newtown shootings during his teams press conference following their loss to Ohio State last night. (Cincinnati.com)
– Former-Seton Hall head coach Bobby Gonzalez has some words of wisdom for currently suspended Rutgers head coach Mike Rice (SNY.tv)
– Joe Lunardi has some bracket concerns with the new unnamed Catholic League (ESPN)
– Jeff Borzello updates us on his Freshman of the Year awards. (Eye on College Basketball)
– Four midseason transfers that can provide an instant impact for their new teams. (The Dagger)
Odds & Ends:
– A “where are they now” on a bunch of players who were recruited by Billy Gillispie at Kentucky. (Eye on College Basketball)
– State Fair JuCo star Kenny-Red Chery has committed to Baylor. Future #AllNameTeam member for sure. (Our Daily Bears)
– Ten reasons why Bearcat fans hate Xavier. Don’t hate on the Xavier popes. Those guys are the best. (Bearcats Blog)
– Aaron Craft’s mom explains her son’s trademark rosy red cheeks. (The Dagger)
– Kansas sophomore Naadir Tharpe did “The Robot” on the bench during the Jayhawks destruction of Richmond. (The Mock Session)
Picture of the Day:
The Providence honored the victims of the Sandy Hook shooting during the Friars game against Colgate last night by memorializing 26 seats at The Dunkin’ Donuts Center. (College Basketball Talk)
Dunks(s) of the Day:
Auburn’s Chris Denson shut it down against Tennessee Tech last night. # GameOver.
Video(s) of the Day:
This is the funniest faux Christmas infomercial you will ever see (The Basketball Jones)
Video(s) of the Day:
Highlights from VCU’s 32-point win over Western Kentucky, as seen on the NBC Sports Network
Do you like the new Morning Mix? Hate it? Have a suggestion or want something featured? Troy Machir will take all your praise, insults and inquiries via Twitter (@TroyMachir)
Aug 31, 2015, 11:15 PM EDT
Malik Monk is rated No. 6 overall in the Class of 2016 by Rivals.
Aug 31, 2015, 9:44 PM EDT
It’s the second commit in as many nights for the Cyclones.
Aug 31, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT
Javion Ogunyemi averaged 9.3 points and 4.8 rebounds per game in 2014-15.
Aug 31, 2015, 6:10 PM EDT
The two teams last met in the 2013 Big East Tournament
Aug 31, 2015, 4:44 PM EDT
Indiana dismissed the forward after his second alcohol-related incident.
Aug 31, 2015, 4:35 PM EDT
Cheick Diallo is still waiting to hear from the NCAA Eligibility Center.
Aug 31, 2015, 2:05 PM EDT
Frank Jackson will make his college decision on Tuesday.
Aug 31, 2015, 12:45 PM EDT
Rawle Alkins is one of the best players to come out of New York in years.
Aug 31, 2015, 11:20 AM EDT
Wisconsin head coach Bo Ryan seems to be taking things slowly when it comes to deciding his future.
Aug 31, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT
Texas native Marques Bolden is focusing on seven schools.
Aug 31, 2015, 9:05 AM EDT
Rick Pitino gives some candid thoughts on Louisville and Puerto Rico.
Aug 30, 2015, 9:52 PM EDT
With Monte’ Morris being a junior and Nick Noskowiak leaving the program, Iowa State needed a point guard in the 2016 class.
Aug 30, 2015, 8:41 PM EDT
These games against seasoned competition will help Michigan State in the tough Big Ten this season.
Aug 30, 2015, 7:27 PM EDT
Gbinije averaged 7.3 points and 2.1 rebounds per game at Afrobasket.
Aug 30, 2015, 6:01 PM EDT
Hill led the team in minutes played last season, and it’s been tough to keep him out of the gym this summer despite attempts to get him to spend some time resting.
Aug 30, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
Notre Dame has a bouncy freshman guard in Rex Pflueger.
Aug 30, 2015, 1:05 PM EDT
Reid Travis is looking like a potential go-to scorer for the Cardinal this season after some strong outings in Europe.
Aug 30, 2015, 10:50 AM EDT
Colorado State is having a rough go of getting great programs to play in their building.
Aug 30, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
Scottie Lindsey put one on a defender during Northwestern’s trip to Spain.
Aug 30, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
According to the New York Post, Morton will go back to teaching full-time.
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Syracuse legend to undergo surgery on a brain tumor this week (2)
- Wake Forest dismissed senior point guard for rules violation (1)
- Is Louisville’s non-conference schedule weak by design? (1)
- 10 year old Ohio State fan worried heart surgery would make him love Michigan (1)