Dec 19, 2012, 10:31 AM EST
Winthrop coach Pat Kelsey used the power of his microphone after his team played No. 4 Ohio State Tuesday night to voice his opinion in the wake of the elementary school shootings in Newtown, Conn.
Kelsey made an emotional reference to his daughters in his comments, also calling on the country’s leaders to bring about change.
“I didn’t vote for President Obama, ok, but you know what? He’s my president now. He’s my leader,” he said. “I need him to step up. Mr. Boehner, the Speaker of the house, he’s a Xavier guy. He’s a Cincinnati guy. He needs to step up…This has to be a time for change.”
“I know this microphone is powerful right now because we’re playing the fourth best team in the country. I’m not going to microphone like this the rest of the year, maybe the rest of my life. And I’m going to be an agent of change with the thirteen young men that I get to coach every day and the two little girls that I get to raise.”
Kelsey is the second Division I coach to publicly speak about the gun issue since the Newtown shooting. Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim did the same after winning his 900th game Monday night.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 0
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)
- Colorado’s second half run a product of its focus on getting the ball inside (3)