Dec 19, 2012, 10:31 AM EST
Winthrop coach Pat Kelsey used the power of his microphone after his team played No. 4 Ohio State Tuesday night to voice his opinion in the wake of the elementary school shootings in Newtown, Conn.
Kelsey made an emotional reference to his daughters in his comments, also calling on the country’s leaders to bring about change.
“I didn’t vote for President Obama, ok, but you know what? He’s my president now. He’s my leader,” he said. “I need him to step up. Mr. Boehner, the Speaker of the house, he’s a Xavier guy. He’s a Cincinnati guy. He needs to step up…This has to be a time for change.”
“I know this microphone is powerful right now because we’re playing the fourth best team in the country. I’m not going to microphone like this the rest of the year, maybe the rest of my life. And I’m going to be an agent of change with the thirteen young men that I get to coach every day and the two little girls that I get to raise.”
Kelsey is the second Division I coach to publicly speak about the gun issue since the Newtown shooting. Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim did the same after winning his 900th game Monday night.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Virginia, an MVC showdown and UNC-Louisville 0
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 13
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)