Dec 20, 2012, 10:22 AM EDT
Over the course of the next two weeks, College Basketball Talk will be detailing what some of the country’s best, most intriguing, and thoroughly enigmatic teams need. It’s the spirit of the holidays. We’re in a giving mood.
What do other teams have on their Christmas Wish Lists? Click here to find out.
Gotta have it list-topper: James Johnson proves to be the frontcourt force San Diego State needs him to be
The Aztecs picked up a much-needed addition to the lineup this week, as Virginia transfer James Johnson became eligible after sitting out the last year per NCAA transfer rules. What does Steve Fisher need from the 6-7 junior? Similar to Illinois’ need for a “Deebo”-like figure, San Diego State needs Johnson to be the inside muscle for a group that’s rather slender.
Deshawn Stephens has been SDSU’s best front court rebounder to this point in the season with an average of 5.3 rebounds per game, J.J. O’Brien is averaging 4.3 and Skylar Spencer at 3.8. But with Jamaal Franklin (9.7 rpg) being their best rebounder, San Diego State will need Johnson to take on a prominent role on the glass, beginning with the Diamond Head Classic this weekend.
Stocking stuffer: Taking better care of the basketball
Through ten games the Aztecs have 134 assists…and 128 turnovers. Given their attacking off the dribble the assist count isn’t a surprise, but nearly breaking even in assist-to-turnover ratio isn’t good. The biggest offenders when it comes to taking care of the basketball have been Franklin (4.2 turnovers per game) and freshman Winston Shepard (2.6 turnovers per game). With a schedule that has included four games against teams 201 or worse in the RPI, San Diego State has gotten away with occasionally being reckless with the basketball. That’s going to have to changes at the Aztecs approach Mountain West play.
Planning on re-gifting: Winston Shepard’s start
It’s been a bit of a struggle for Shepard, who also sat out three games due to NCAA suspension. In seven games the Findlay Prep product is averaging 3.4 points and 2.6 rebounds per game, shooting 31.0% from the field and 38.5% from the foul line. Immensely gifted, Shepard was expected to be at the very least a critical reserve for San Diego State and there’s definitely time for that to be the case. Hopefully for SDSU fans the turnaround begins in Hawaii this weekend.
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 6
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 3
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)