Dec 20, 2012, 10:22 PM EDT
You should know the story of Shabazz Muhammad by now.
The nation’s No. 1 recruit coming out of high school, Muhammad was investigated by the NCAA for accepting illegal benefits during his high school career. According to reports from CBSSports.com from back in February, one of the things that the NCAA was looking into involved Muhammad’s relationship with a couple of financial advisors in New York and how the Las Vegas native paid for some of the unofficial visits he took to the other side of the country.
Most expected the NCAA to try and make an example out of Muhammad. Predictions ranged from a 10-15 games suspension to having his amateur status permanently revoked.
But Muhammad ended up sitting out just three games, and perhaps the biggest catalyst for the 6-foot-5 swingman was the boyfriend of Abigail Grantstein.
Grantstein has been a lead investigator for a number of the NCAA’s more high-profile cases, including, among other, Josh Selby. But a lawyer sent an email to the NCAA saying that she had overheard a man claiming to be the boyfriend of an NCAA investigator named Abigail bragging about how the NCAA would never clear Muhammad.
And according to Baxter Holmes, the UCLA beat reporter for the LA Times who has been all over this story, that has cost Abigail her job:
Sources say the NCAA has fired Abigail Grantstein, its lead investigator in the Shabazz Muhammad case.—
Baxter Holmes (@BaxterHolmes) December 21, 2012
I bet it cost her a boyfriend, as well.
- Top talent in 2016 announces a top ten 1
- North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham comments on Rashad McCants situation 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- DePaul’s Purnell loses fifth recruit that signed letter of intent (3)
- Former Ole Miss star Marshall Henderson getting pro tryout in Italy (2)
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? (2)
- Report: Ex-Spartan forward headed to Ohio (1)
- Blue Ribbon releases their Preseason First Team All-Americans (1)