Dec 20, 2012, 10:22 PM EST
You should know the story of Shabazz Muhammad by now.
The nation’s No. 1 recruit coming out of high school, Muhammad was investigated by the NCAA for accepting illegal benefits during his high school career. According to reports from CBSSports.com from back in February, one of the things that the NCAA was looking into involved Muhammad’s relationship with a couple of financial advisors in New York and how the Las Vegas native paid for some of the unofficial visits he took to the other side of the country.
Most expected the NCAA to try and make an example out of Muhammad. Predictions ranged from a 10-15 games suspension to having his amateur status permanently revoked.
But Muhammad ended up sitting out just three games, and perhaps the biggest catalyst for the 6-foot-5 swingman was the boyfriend of Abigail Grantstein.
Grantstein has been a lead investigator for a number of the NCAA’s more high-profile cases, including, among other, Josh Selby. But a lawyer sent an email to the NCAA saying that she had overheard a man claiming to be the boyfriend of an NCAA investigator named Abigail bragging about how the NCAA would never clear Muhammad.
And according to Baxter Holmes, the UCLA beat reporter for the LA Times who has been all over this story, that has cost Abigail her job:
Sources say the NCAA has fired Abigail Grantstein, its lead investigator in the Shabazz Muhammad case.—
Baxter Holmes (@BaxterHolmes) December 21, 2012
I bet it cost her a boyfriend, as well.
- Reductions in scholarship, off-campus recruiting will have significant impact on Syracuse moving forward 5
- NCAA sanctions Syracuse; 12 lost scholarships, nine-game suspension for coach Jim Boeheim 22
- Bracketology: No. 1 seed line remains unsettled 5
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Carolina Part Two, and which bubble teams have the most on the line? 1
- Bubble Banter: Davidson with a big win, Stanford in trouble, and … VCU? 2
- Justin Anderson out this weekend after undergoing appendectomy 0
- West Coast Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (26)
- NCAA sanctions Syracuse; 12 lost scholarships, nine-game suspension for coach Jim Boeheim (26)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (11)
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed (9)