Dec 20, 2012, 8:00 AM EDT
Where do we even begin today?
North Carolina got flat-out dominated by a not-so-good Texas team. The same not-so-good Texas team playing without Myck Kabongo, who has been awaiting word from the NCAA. At roughly the same time last night, the NCAA came down with its decision. It wasn’t pretty.
But that’s certainly not all that happened. The Crosstown Classic was renewed and restored. Maurice Creek got injured again. Jabari Parker will make his college decision later today.
I’m done trying to explain why we have a lot to get to. Just know that we have a lot to get to.
Lets hit the links.
Thursday’s Top Games:
7:00 p.m. – Elon @ No. 1 Duke
8:00 p.m. – Lipscomb @ Memphis
8:05 p.m. – Lehigh @ North Texas
8:30 p.m. – Eastern Michigan @ No. 2 Michigan
9:00 p.m. – Cal-Poly @ Washington
11:00 p.m. -UC-Irvine @ USC
Read(s) of the Day:
This one isn’t exactly hoops specific but it’s definitely worth your time. Richard Deitsch of Sports Illustrated hands out his aunnal media awards for 2012. This is must-read stuff. Read it. (Sports Illustrated)
Read(s) of the Day:
A marvelous reaction piece from Eric Adelson on the crisp words spoken by Winthrop head coach Pat Kelsey following his team’s loss to Ohio State on Tuesday. This is tremendous stuff. (Yahoo Sports)
No. 23 North Carolina embarrassed by Texas: Texas is not a good team, especially without Myck Kabongo. This should tell you just how much the Tar Heels are struggling this season. Last night was ugly.
No. 11 Cincinnati outlasts Xavier in the renewal of the Crosstown Classic: Sean Kilpatrick scored 25 points and Cashmere Wright chipped in with 15 as No. 11 Cincinnati jumped all over Xavier in the second half, winning the sanitized Crosstown Shootout, err Crosstown Classic, 60-45.
CBT Podcast Episode Three: Troy Machir and Raphielle Johnson discuss the current state of west coast hoops and dish on thheir favorite Big East and Jim Boeheim moments.
Geno Auriemma sounds off on realignment: It was just a matte of time before the legendary UConn women’s head coach voiced his opinion on the implosion of the Big East. And as expected, he had some choice words.
Holiday wish list for Duke Blue Devils: What exactly does the No. 1 team in the country need this holiday season? Daniel Martin has your answer.
Stetson Hatters provide the craziest buzzer-beater of the season: Just when everybody (including the play-by-play announcer) thinks the game is over, a coast-to-coast drive, air-ball and follow-up steals the show. My man Robbie Aaron kinda steals the show on the mic, too.
- Jabari Parker will make his highly anticipated college decision later today. Here is the final word from many of the top recruiting experts in the country (MLive.com)
- Texas got a statement-win last night, beating North Carolina by 18 points. But while the Longhorns were smacking the Tar Heels, the NCAA was busy suspending guard Myck Kabongo for the entire season. It’s laughable at this point. I’m so done with the NCAA. (Yahoo Sports)
- South Alabama coach Ronnie Arrow abruptly resigned on Wednesday. I believe this is the first coaching change of the season. (Jags Jungle)
- Indiana guard Maurice Creek is injured yet again, this time for an indefinite length. You just hate to see this happens. His heart is in it, but his body keeps failing him. (The Dagger)
- Syracuse University’s athletic department media director Roger Springfield is no longer employed by the school and, according to a newspaper report, is being investigated by police. (CBS Sports)
Observations & Insight:
- Mick Cronin would be happy if the Crosstown Classic continued at an on-campus venue. the Bearcats head coach believe the rivalry game belongs to the city, and as such, should be held not for season ticket holders, but for the entire community. (GoBearcats.com)
- Some interesting quotes from Big East Commissioner Mike Aresco on what lies ahead for his league (The Washington Post)
- Fresh off a tough loss to UNLV, the UTEP Miners got a tough triple-OT win over Oregon in a game where the Ducks tried their hardest to give the game away (Addicted to Quack)
- Louisville routed Florida International last night. Why is this important? Because Rick Pitino squared off against, and defeated his son Richard’s new team. (Lexington Hearld-Leader)
- Some clutch shots made down the stretch sealed Coppin State’s first victory at the Towson Center in 20 years (Baltimore Sun)
- LIU-Brooklyn looked out of sync and out of sorts without Julian Boyd, and it showed. The Blackbirds lost to St. Peter’s by 13. (Big Apple Buckets)
- Texas Southern’s Omar Strong is a mid-major player that show be getting high-major praise. I love this kid. Dude can ball for days. (Mid-Major Madness)
- An awesome-read on the family life of Kansas forward Kevin Young. Really great stuff. Plus the family afros are incredible. (KUsports.com)
Picture of the Day:
Father knows best, as Rick Pitino and the Louisville Cardinals defeated Richard Pitino and the Panthers of Florida International (Card Chronicle)
Dunks(s) of the Day:
Marquette’s Jamil Wilson gets some face time because he followed up a miss. Remember that kids. Always crash the glass.
Do you like the new Morning Mix? Hate it? Have a suggestion or want something featured? Troy Machir will take all your praise, insults and inquiries via Twitter (@TroyMachir)
Jul 21, 2014, 11:43 PM EDT
DePaul redshirt freshman forward DeJuan Marrero will play his sophomore season at Chipola.
Malik Newman, Ivan Rabb, Jayson Tatum, Malik Monk among 33 members battling for USA U17 roster spots this week
Jul 21, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
The USA U17 tryouts have a lot of big names and it will also be important for the last week of the July live evaluation period.
Jul 21, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
Isaiah Briscoe helped lead the New Jersey Playaz to a title at Peach Jam.
Jul 21, 2014, 7:45 PM EDT
Bruce Brown was a promising two-sport athlete, but gave up football to focus on basketball.
Jul 21, 2014, 6:10 PM EDT
Walker is the second commitment for the Cardinal this spring.
Jul 21, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT
Seven additional thoughts on Nike’s Peach Jam, including Ben Simmons’ one weakness, Malik Monk and how college coaches look at parents
Jul 21, 2014, 3:46 PM EDT
The whole situation regarding Jacksons recruitment is weird.
Jul 21, 2014, 2:54 PM EDT
Tatum is the best player in the class.
Jul 21, 2014, 1:54 PM EDT
Seven thoughts from my time in Augusta
Jul 21, 2014, 12:28 PM EDT
The Hoosiers will be in shape come September, that’s for sure.
Jul 21, 2014, 11:26 AM EDT
The latest in our series of anonymous quotes from coaches on the players they recruit.
Jul 21, 2014, 10:09 AM EDT
Simmons is a much better passer than you’ll see in this video.
Jul 20, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
After playing sparingly last season, Lucas is hoping to take a significant step forward in 2014-15.
Jul 20, 2014, 10:10 PM EDT
Fans may look to compare Gary Payton II to his father, something both hope to avoid this season, but his role as point guard is an important one.
Jul 20, 2014, 7:46 PM EDT
Djambo’s playing time was unlikely to increase had he remained at Clemson, where he played 9.2 minutes per game last season.
Jul 20, 2014, 6:46 PM EDT
McQuaid’s de-commitment leaves SMU with one verbal pledge in its 2015 recruiting class.
Jul 20, 2014, 5:39 PM EDT
Apparently there were some questions at the Peach Jam regarding the possibility of Simmons returning to Australia in 2015 to play professionally instead of attending LSU.
Jul 20, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
Brown won Pac-12 Most Improved Player honors last season, helping lead the Cardinal to the Sweet 16.
Jul 20, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
The 6-foot-4 Walker played just one season at Stony Brook.
Jul 20, 2014, 2:36 PM EDT
It’s the second commit for Rick Pitino this week.
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Seven Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 1
- CBT Quotables Part IV: The Lawsons, Stephen Zimmerman, Malik Monk 1
- Peach Jam Saturday Recap: Rabb, Zimmerman go big, Chris Clarke goes hard, Lawson bros advance 0
- Nike Peach Jam Saturday Recap: Jayson Tatum, DeAndre Ayton and Briscoe vs. Trier 0
- Peach Jam Recruiting Notebook: Jamal Murray plays well, Tyler Davis has big day, Juwan Morgan likes two 0
- Skipping college makes Emmanuel Mudiay the most important player in 2014 class (5)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (5)
- Study says Louisville has the best fanbase for second straight season (4)
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)