Dec 21, 2012, 5:02 PM EDT
Some freshmen are just looking to make it into the team’s rotation in their first year on campus. Others are looking to get a starting spot. Auburn’s Jordan Price has his sights set on something else: the NCAA’s consecutive made three-pointers record.
The 6-5 native of Decatur, Ga., has hit 11 straight over his last three games, four shy of the record 15 in a row hit by Northwestern’s Todd Leslie in 1990. Price went 4-of-4 from behind the arc in back-to-back games, wins over Grambling State and Furman, then posted a 3-of-3 night from three in a win over Tennessee Tech on Tuesday.
”He has been shooting the ball unbelievable,” Auburn coach Tony Barbee told the AP. ”As a scorer whenever you get on a roll like that, you get in that zone, and he is in one of those zones right now. He has been working hard in practice, and it has been paying off in the games.”
Before his streak began on Dec. 11, Price hadn’t been shooting the ball particularly well from three-point range, having gone 8-of-23. Now three games in, he’s shooting 55 percent from distance on the year and is averaging 7.7 points in a modest 16.5 minutes per game.
“I really don’t believe that I am a 3-point shooter,” said Price, who was praised more for his athleticism by scouts as a Top 100 prospect from the Class of 2012. ”I can shoot. It’s just a blessing that I haven’t missed. I’ve been settling for the 3 because I’m open. I can hit the mid-range shot and get to the basket. If they just tell me to keep shooting, that’s what I’m going to do.”
Price has already tied the 20-year-old SEC record of 11, set by Vanderbilt’s Kevin Anglin. His next chance to break that record and go for the NCAA mark will be Saturday when Auburn takes on Winthrop.
Jul 7, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
See, he’s just a creepy fanboy like the rest of us!
Jul 7, 2015, 12:18 PM EDT
Michigan State will be hosting Florida, with a return game in Gainesville in two years.
Jul 7, 2015, 11:16 AM EDT
The Jayhawks … err, Americans … are now 3-0 in the event.
Jul 7, 2015, 8:50 AM EDT
Read through my column on Georges Niang and Iowa State.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:47 PM EDT
Four-star point guard Payton Pritchard is going to explore his options heading into the July live evaluation period.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:25 PM EDT
Northwestern continues to get good local pick-ups in the 2016 class.
Jul 6, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
La Salle is losing an experienced guard to transfer.
Jul 6, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
One of Tennessee’s only options at point guard is enrolling closer to the school year.
Jul 6, 2015, 5:45 PM EDT
One of the better shooting guards in the country is focused on 10 schools.
Jul 6, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Michigan is going with the Jumpman under its new apparel agreement.
Jul 6, 2015, 2:48 PM EDT
Kentucky had led the nation in average attendance for eight straight years.
Jul 6, 2015, 1:32 PM EDT
The top three in this group is debatable.
Jul 6, 2015, 12:53 PM EDT
Jonathan Isaac is loaded with potential.
Jul 6, 2015, 11:23 AM EDT
The front of the jersey said Kansas before.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:13 AM EDT
Two of the nation’s best high schoolers square off.
Jul 5, 2015, 10:03 PM EDT
Thibodeaux’s decision came eight days after he began basic training.
Jul 5, 2015, 8:05 PM EDT
All of the violations were deemed to be Level III or Level IV violations, which isn’t a big deal at all.
Jul 5, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Plenty of college basketball players were in the FIBA U19 World Championships besides the Americans.
Jul 5, 2015, 3:37 PM EDT
The USA U19 team captured back-to-back FIBA World Championships for the first time since 1983.
Jul 5, 2015, 2:20 PM EDT
Mississippi State landed a commitment on Sunday from a transfer.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Bill Self impresses South Korean students with jumper (VIDEO) (3)
- Michigan basketball will change to Jordan Brand from adidas as school announces new Nike deal (3)
- Senior mixtape of 7-foot-6 UCF incoming freshman Tacko Fall (VIDEO) (2)
- Rick Barnes finally addresses accusations against Texas (2)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)