Dec 21, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT
Who’s Getting Upset?: Fri 8:00 p.m.: Stony Brook at Maryland (ESPN3)
The Seawolves are one of the better mid-major teams in the country this season. They have a pair of good guards in Dave Coley and Anthony Jackson and one of the nation’s preeminent glue guys in Tommy Brenton, who averages 7.7 points, 8.5 boards, 4.8 assists and 2.2 steals. And while we can talk about a myriad of different matchups with Maryland in this game, the key is going to come down to one thing: the paint. Can freshman Jameel Warney hold his own against future lottery pick Alex Len? Can Stony Brook keep the nation’s second-best offensive rebounding team off the class? If they can, they have a shot at winning this thing. If they can’t, they don’t. It’s quite simple, actually.
Who else is on Upset Alert?
- Fri. 9:00 p.m.: Middle Tennessee State at Vanderbilt (ESPNU): Frankly, I’m not even sure if this should truly count as an upset, but since it’s a mid-major program playing at an SEC program, I’ll allow. MTSU is a grizzled, veteran team while Vandy is young and learning how to cope with the talent they lost last year.
- Sat. 2:00 p.m.: Florida State at Charlotte (CBS College Sports): Will Michael Snaer play? That might be the biggest question for the Seminoles heading into this game. Snaer was held out of a game last week, which is a big problem; FSU doesn’t have the kind of depth or perimeter talent to survive losing a preseason all-american. Especially if Ian Miller’s not healthy yet. Charlotte got a reality check last weekend when they lost by 31 to Miami, but there is a reason this team only has one loss on the season.
- Sat. 8:00 p.m.: Bradley at Virginia Tech: The Hokies started out the season so well, but they’ve come back to earth a bit in their last three games, losing two of them to the likes of West Virginia and Georgia State. They are also now dealing with having an even shorter bench, as Marshall Wood is sidelined with a foot injury. Bradley is no pushover this year. Ask Michigan, who struggled to get control against the Braves. If Jarell Eddie has another off night, James Johnson’s team could be in trouble.
- Sat. 8:00 p.m.: No. 8 Florida vs. Kansas State in Kansas City (ESPN2): Kansas State is going to have their hands full with the Gators, who have proven to be one of the nation’s best defensive teams this season. But the Wildcats can matchup them pound-for-pound on the front line, even if those bigs aren’t great at defending pick-and-roll actions. The key is going to end up being Rodney McGruder. He started the season slowly but had 26 points the last time out. Has he finally found his rhythm in Bruce Weber’s offense?
- Sat. 10:00 p.m.: Canisius at No. 21 UNLV: Canisius is coming off of a win at Temple. That win at Temple came just a couple of days after the Golden Griffins gave Syracuse all they could handle in the Carrier Dome. Canisius has a couple of really good guards, led by Rhode Island transfer Billy Baron, that can get hot. They will have no answer for UNLV’s front line, but if the Rebels overlook Canisius and don’t come out with the kind of energy they need to — something UNLV has done in the past — we could be looking at an upset in the making.
Jul 28, 2015, 10:49 AM EDT
He is talented, just don’t call him the next Kevin Durant.
Jul 28, 2015, 10:12 AM EDT
Will Wade will have a beautiful facility to recruit to.
Jul 27, 2015, 9:28 PM EDT
First career 3-pointer for Jones?
Jul 27, 2015, 8:12 PM EDT
Potentially four top-25 teams will be in the 2015 field.
Jul 27, 2015, 5:51 PM EDT
Scott averaged 15.7 points per game for Grambling during the 2013-14 season.
Jul 27, 2015, 5:18 PM EDT
The former Big Ten Player of the Year (inaccurately) trolls Ohio State fans
Jul 27, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
It’s pretty obvious why people like Porter.
Jul 27, 2015, 2:17 PM EDT
Gabriel was the biggest stock riser for the month.
Jul 27, 2015, 1:51 PM EDT
Denzel Valentine and Taurean Waller-Prince also played well in stretches.
Jul 27, 2015, 12:26 PM EDT
Stefan Moody was the leading scorer last season for Ole Miss.
Jul 27, 2015, 10:50 AM EDT
Dick Tarrant also led Richmond to the 1988 Sweet 16.
Jul 27, 2015, 9:39 AM EDT
The hype surrounding Murray as a prospect has never been higher.
Jul 26, 2015, 7:50 PM EDT
Rashard Kelly averaged just 2.9 points per game last season. With Darius Carter and Tekele Cotton gone, he’ll need to do more in 2015-16.
Jul 26, 2015, 6:35 PM EDT
Villanova had been Jalen’s favorite for a long time according to his father Rick.
Jul 26, 2015, 2:10 PM EDT
Nichols picked Memphis over Virginia the first time around, and once the Tigers dropped their transfer restrictions many expected him to land in Charlottesville.
Jul 26, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
Norvell hit a staggering 14 three-pointers…in one game.
Four-star Class of 2016 guard Zach Norvell scores 53 points, drops 14 3-pointers in Las Vegas (VIDEO)
Jul 26, 2015, 10:22 AM EDT
Chicago native Zach Norvell had one of the best games of the July live evaluation period on Saturday night by scoring 53 points and knocking down 14 3-pointers.
Jul 26, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
The lesson here is don’t smack talk Devonte’ Graham if he’s your camp counselor.
Jul 25, 2015, 5:46 PM EDT
Ron Baker and Taurean Waller-Prince played well for the Americans.
Jul 25, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT
UMass commit Unique McLean threw down a ridiculous dunk contest slam in front of a sea of people.
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- July Live Period Preview: The events to keep an eye on in Vegas this week 0
- Contender for No. 1 in 2016 class, Harry Giles, cuts list to five 10
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- Maryland fans still hate Mike Krzyzewski (8)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Are college teams going to be available on NBA 2K? (3)