Dec 21, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT
Who’s Getting Upset?: Fri 8:00 p.m.: Stony Brook at Maryland (ESPN3)
The Seawolves are one of the better mid-major teams in the country this season. They have a pair of good guards in Dave Coley and Anthony Jackson and one of the nation’s preeminent glue guys in Tommy Brenton, who averages 7.7 points, 8.5 boards, 4.8 assists and 2.2 steals. And while we can talk about a myriad of different matchups with Maryland in this game, the key is going to come down to one thing: the paint. Can freshman Jameel Warney hold his own against future lottery pick Alex Len? Can Stony Brook keep the nation’s second-best offensive rebounding team off the class? If they can, they have a shot at winning this thing. If they can’t, they don’t. It’s quite simple, actually.
Who else is on Upset Alert?
- Fri. 9:00 p.m.: Middle Tennessee State at Vanderbilt (ESPNU): Frankly, I’m not even sure if this should truly count as an upset, but since it’s a mid-major program playing at an SEC program, I’ll allow. MTSU is a grizzled, veteran team while Vandy is young and learning how to cope with the talent they lost last year.
- Sat. 2:00 p.m.: Florida State at Charlotte (CBS College Sports): Will Michael Snaer play? That might be the biggest question for the Seminoles heading into this game. Snaer was held out of a game last week, which is a big problem; FSU doesn’t have the kind of depth or perimeter talent to survive losing a preseason all-american. Especially if Ian Miller’s not healthy yet. Charlotte got a reality check last weekend when they lost by 31 to Miami, but there is a reason this team only has one loss on the season.
- Sat. 8:00 p.m.: Bradley at Virginia Tech: The Hokies started out the season so well, but they’ve come back to earth a bit in their last three games, losing two of them to the likes of West Virginia and Georgia State. They are also now dealing with having an even shorter bench, as Marshall Wood is sidelined with a foot injury. Bradley is no pushover this year. Ask Michigan, who struggled to get control against the Braves. If Jarell Eddie has another off night, James Johnson’s team could be in trouble.
- Sat. 8:00 p.m.: No. 8 Florida vs. Kansas State in Kansas City (ESPN2): Kansas State is going to have their hands full with the Gators, who have proven to be one of the nation’s best defensive teams this season. But the Wildcats can matchup them pound-for-pound on the front line, even if those bigs aren’t great at defending pick-and-roll actions. The key is going to end up being Rodney McGruder. He started the season slowly but had 26 points the last time out. Has he finally found his rhythm in Bruce Weber’s offense?
- Sat. 10:00 p.m.: Canisius at No. 21 UNLV: Canisius is coming off of a win at Temple. That win at Temple came just a couple of days after the Golden Griffins gave Syracuse all they could handle in the Carrier Dome. Canisius has a couple of really good guards, led by Rhode Island transfer Billy Baron, that can get hot. They will have no answer for UNLV’s front line, but if the Rebels overlook Canisius and don’t come out with the kind of energy they need to — something UNLV has done in the past — we could be looking at an upset in the making.
Apr 24, 2014, 4:49 PM EDT
Arizona State lands its seventh newcomer for the 2014-15 season as forward Willie Atwood picked the Sun Devils over Florida State and Iowa.
Apr 24, 2014, 4:13 PM EDT
The NCAA’s Board of Directors released some key decisions on Thursday.
Apr 24, 2014, 4:12 PM EDT
Colorado junior guard Spencer Dinwiddie has decided to enter the 2014 NBA Draft.
Apr 24, 2014, 3:12 PM EDT
Dan D’Antoni spent 30 years as a high school coach in South Carolina.
Apr 24, 2014, 2:23 PM EDT
Parker is not a fan of forcing players to stay in school for two years.
Apr 24, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
There are reports he’s already signed with an agent.
Apr 24, 2014, 12:35 PM EDT
The seven-footer will miss some time getting a torn labrum repaired.
Apr 24, 2014, 11:56 AM EDT
Roy Williams is not the world’s greatest dancer.
Apr 24, 2014, 11:25 AM EDT
Kentucky, Kansas and just about every elite program in the country is on the trail of the Haitian.
Apr 24, 2014, 10:39 AM EDT
It’s pretty funnyl
Apr 24, 2014, 12:57 AM EDT
According to multiple reports, former Georgetown big Moses Ayegba has decided to transfer to Nebraska.
Apr 24, 2014, 12:17 AM EDT
According to a report, UConn center Amida Brimah will need to undergo surgery on his left shoulder.
Apr 23, 2014, 10:38 PM EDT
Shaka Smart filled a vacancy on his staff Wednesday, hiring former Vanderbilt assistant David Cason.
Apr 23, 2014, 9:04 PM EDT
Less than a week after making an official visit to the school, it was reported that Malek Harris had committed to Kansas State. But that may not be the case.
Apr 23, 2014, 7:49 PM EDT
Frank Haith announced his coaching staff Wednesday, with the trio combining to have more than 90 seasons of coaching experience.
Apr 23, 2014, 6:33 PM EDT
UConn and Duke will reportedly play each other just before Christmas in New Jersey.
Apr 23, 2014, 5:23 PM EDT
Former St. John’s commit Darrick Wood verbally committed to attend DePaul on Wednesday.
Apr 23, 2014, 4:22 PM EDT
After playing well in Kentucky’s run to the national title game, Dakari Johnson has decided to return for his sophomore season.
Apr 23, 2014, 3:52 PM EDT
LSU should have the pieces to be a tournament team in 2014-2015.
Apr 23, 2014, 2:54 PM EDT
Minnesota landed a commitment from a 6-foot-11 three-star recruit.
- Jabari Parker on a potential move to two-and-done: ‘I think that’s ridiculous’ 4
- John Calipari appears on ‘The Colbert Report’ (VIDEO) 0
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)