Dec 22, 2012, 7:13 PM EST
With the score knotted at 64-all, Sherrod Wright of George Mason rose and fired, dropping in a buzzer-beating three-pointer that led the CAA contender over an A-10 team playing in its hometown. Wright led all scorers with 22 points, and the Patriots as a team shot an incredible 61.5% from deep in the close win.
Darien Brothers and Derrick Williams combined for 34 points for the Spiders in the loss.
The game was the opening stanza of the Governor’s Holiday Classic, which pitted four Virginia-based schools from different leagues against one another in Richmond. The nightcap features Virginia and Old Dominion.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program 12
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 1
- Weekly Awards: LaDontae Henton, West Virginia with notable performances 0
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? 5
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 1
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (12)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- Colorado’s second half run a product of its focus on getting the ball inside (3)