Dec 22, 2012, 7:13 PM EST
With the score knotted at 64-all, Sherrod Wright of George Mason rose and fired, dropping in a buzzer-beating three-pointer that led the CAA contender over an A-10 team playing in its hometown. Wright led all scorers with 22 points, and the Patriots as a team shot an incredible 61.5% from deep in the close win.
Darien Brothers and Derrick Williams combined for 34 points for the Spiders in the loss.
The game was the opening stanza of the Governor’s Holiday Classic, which pitted four Virginia-based schools from different leagues against one another in Richmond. The nightcap features Virginia and Old Dominion.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Bubble Banter: Why LSU losing is bad news for Texas A&M 1
- Bonzie Colson continues hot streak as No. 12 Notre Dame wins at No. 16 Louisville 1
- Potential Cinderellas you want to win their automatic bid 2
- Virginia’s Justin Anderson could return as early as Saturday 0
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how bad was Indiana’s loss to Iowa? 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (24)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)