Dec 22, 2012, 7:13 PM EDT
With the score knotted at 64-all, Sherrod Wright of George Mason rose and fired, dropping in a buzzer-beating three-pointer that led the CAA contender over an A-10 team playing in its hometown. Wright led all scorers with 22 points, and the Patriots as a team shot an incredible 61.5% from deep in the close win.
Darien Brothers and Derrick Williams combined for 34 points for the Spiders in the loss.
The game was the opening stanza of the Governor’s Holiday Classic, which pitted four Virginia-based schools from different leagues against one another in Richmond. The nightcap features Virginia and Old Dominion.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Bubble Banter: Nebraska’s marquee win, St. Joseph’s problematic loss 0
- Turnovers help Ohio State beat No. 22 Michigan State in regular season finale 1
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed 7
- Jabari Parker, Rodney Hood score 54 in No. 4 Duke’s win over No. 14 UNC 0
- Bubble Banter: Oregon, Tennessee headline Saturday’s early winners 0
- Creighton’s Doug McDermott scores his 3,000th point (VIDEO) 0
- Oregon’s big win over No. 3 Arizona caps impressive regular season turnaround 1
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (8)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest Top 25 (6)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- South Carolina suspends Frank Martin for regular season finale at Mississippi State (5)