Dec 22, 2012, 7:13 PM EDT
With the score knotted at 64-all, Sherrod Wright of George Mason rose and fired, dropping in a buzzer-beating three-pointer that led the CAA contender over an A-10 team playing in its hometown. Wright led all scorers with 22 points, and the Patriots as a team shot an incredible 61.5% from deep in the close win.
Darien Brothers and Derrick Williams combined for 34 points for the Spiders in the loss.
The game was the opening stanza of the Governor’s Holiday Classic, which pitted four Virginia-based schools from different leagues against one another in Richmond. The nightcap features Virginia and Old Dominion.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- South Dakota State’s Cody Larson thrives despite return home amidst unmet expectations 2
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)