Dec 22, 2012, 10:10 AM EDT
Five Penn players, including the team’s second-leading scorer Miles Cartwright, sat on the sidelines Friday night, held out of the game for an unspecified violation of team rules during the Quakers’ 83-60 loss to Delaware.
Cartwright, who is averaging 14.3 points per game, sat out alongside guard Tony Hicks and Steve Rennard and forwards Darien Nelson-Henry and Henry Brooks.
“It was really no challenge,” Penn head coach Jerome Allen said after the game, as reported by Dave Zeitlin of CSNPhilly.com. “We had a game plan and we expected to go out and execute. It’s a team sport. Whether seven guys played or 15 guys played, I expect the guys to go out and impose their will on the opposing team.”
Without Cartwright in the lineup, the Quakers shot just 39 percent from the floor and turned the ball over 17 times. According to Allen, there is no specific timeline for the players’ return except that the team is taking it “one game at a time.”
With the loss Friday night, Penn falls to 2-8, just one season after finishing 20-13 and being in the race for the Ivy League’s automatic NCAA tournament bid. A big part of the drop-off is the departure of guards Zack Rosen and Tyler Bernadini. The two together averaged more than 30 points and six assists per game, while shooting close to 40 percent from behind the three-point line.
Penn now has a week off before its matches up with Wagner on Dec. 29.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)