Dec 22, 2012, 10:10 AM EDT
Five Penn players, including the team’s second-leading scorer Miles Cartwright, sat on the sidelines Friday night, held out of the game for an unspecified violation of team rules during the Quakers’ 83-60 loss to Delaware.
Cartwright, who is averaging 14.3 points per game, sat out alongside guard Tony Hicks and Steve Rennard and forwards Darien Nelson-Henry and Henry Brooks.
“It was really no challenge,” Penn head coach Jerome Allen said after the game, as reported by Dave Zeitlin of CSNPhilly.com. “We had a game plan and we expected to go out and execute. It’s a team sport. Whether seven guys played or 15 guys played, I expect the guys to go out and impose their will on the opposing team.”
Without Cartwright in the lineup, the Quakers shot just 39 percent from the floor and turned the ball over 17 times. According to Allen, there is no specific timeline for the players’ return except that the team is taking it “one game at a time.”
With the loss Friday night, Penn falls to 2-8, just one season after finishing 20-13 and being in the race for the Ivy League’s automatic NCAA tournament bid. A big part of the drop-off is the departure of guards Zack Rosen and Tyler Bernadini. The two together averaged more than 30 points and six assists per game, while shooting close to 40 percent from behind the three-point line.
Penn now has a week off before its matches up with Wagner on Dec. 29.
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ 2
- Arizona lands four-star center to potential No. 1 recruiting class in 2015 0
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility 3
- In-state power forward verbally commits to UConn 0
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight 6
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)
- Arizona State commit arrested for allegedly shoplifting less than $20 in DVDs from Walmart (3)
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility (3)
- Villanova lands commitment from five-star point guard Jalen Brunson (2)