Dec 22, 2012, 3:10 PM EDT
Xavier did not take the floor Saturday against Wofford in its traditional navy blue and white uniforms. Instead, the Musketeers wore white and green jerseys with “Sandy Hook” stitched across the chest (pictured at right) to honor the victims of the elementary school shooting in Connecticut last week.
Not only will Xavier wear the uniforms, but the jerseys will be auctioned off online to benefit the Sandy Hook School Support Fund, according to CBSSports.com.
This is one of many public displays in support of or related to the tragedy in Connecticut that have sprung up in its wake. Ed Cooley’s Providence team wore green and white uniforms Tuesday against Colgate. Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim and Wofford coach Pat Kelsey spoke at their team’s respective postgame press conferences about gun control, as well.
After the game, the auction will take place at GoXavier.com.
(Photo via Xavier Athletics)
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 0
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 2
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 23
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (86)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (23)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)