Dec 22, 2012, 3:10 PM EDT
Xavier did not take the floor Saturday against Wofford in its traditional navy blue and white uniforms. Instead, the Musketeers wore white and green jerseys with “Sandy Hook” stitched across the chest (pictured at right) to honor the victims of the elementary school shooting in Connecticut last week.
Not only will Xavier wear the uniforms, but the jerseys will be auctioned off online to benefit the Sandy Hook School Support Fund, according to CBSSports.com.
This is one of many public displays in support of or related to the tragedy in Connecticut that have sprung up in its wake. Ed Cooley’s Providence team wore green and white uniforms Tuesday against Colgate. Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim and Wofford coach Pat Kelsey spoke at their team’s respective postgame press conferences about gun control, as well.
After the game, the auction will take place at GoXavier.com.
(Photo via Xavier Athletics)
- Former Villanova guard headed to Oregon for final season 0
- Looking Forward: Seven coaches who’ll enter 2015-16 on the ‘hot seat’ 1
- Looking Forward: The eight most intriguing coaching hires of 2015 2
- John Calipari: ‘If you ask me if I’m ever going to platoon again, my answer is NO’ 6
- Looking Forward: Potential Breakout Stars in 2015-16 8
- How Jaylen Brown’s commitment made a huge impact on the finalists recruiting him 5
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 5
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique (12)
- Looking Forward: Potential Breakout Stars in 2015-16 (8)
- Report: Five-star small forward Jaylen Brown cuts list to four (6)
- John Calipari: ‘If you ask me if I’m ever going to platoon again, my answer is NO’ (6)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (5)