Dec 22, 2012, 3:10 PM EST
Xavier did not take the floor Saturday against Wofford in its traditional navy blue and white uniforms. Instead, the Musketeers wore white and green jerseys with “Sandy Hook” stitched across the chest (pictured at right) to honor the victims of the elementary school shooting in Connecticut last week.
Not only will Xavier wear the uniforms, but the jerseys will be auctioned off online to benefit the Sandy Hook School Support Fund, according to CBSSports.com.
This is one of many public displays in support of or related to the tragedy in Connecticut that have sprung up in its wake. Ed Cooley’s Providence team wore green and white uniforms Tuesday against Colgate. Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim and Wofford coach Pat Kelsey spoke at their team’s respective postgame press conferences about gun control, as well.
After the game, the auction will take place at GoXavier.com.
(Photo via Xavier Athletics)
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 0
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)