Dec 22, 2012, 3:10 PM EDT
Xavier did not take the floor Saturday against Wofford in its traditional navy blue and white uniforms. Instead, the Musketeers wore white and green jerseys with “Sandy Hook” stitched across the chest (pictured at right) to honor the victims of the elementary school shooting in Connecticut last week.
Not only will Xavier wear the uniforms, but the jerseys will be auctioned off online to benefit the Sandy Hook School Support Fund, according to CBSSports.com.
This is one of many public displays in support of or related to the tragedy in Connecticut that have sprung up in its wake. Ed Cooley’s Providence team wore green and white uniforms Tuesday against Colgate. Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim and Wofford coach Pat Kelsey spoke at their team’s respective postgame press conferences about gun control, as well.
After the game, the auction will take place at GoXavier.com.
(Photo via Xavier Athletics)
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)