Dec 23, 2012, 9:32 AM EDT
There’s a lot of conference movement out east, but the Mountain West Conference is solidifying itself by restructuring its television deal with CBS, Dennis Dodd of CBSSports.com is reporting.
The deal still expires after the 2015-16 season, but the conference reportedly has more flexibility to sell game packages to two additional networks. Those networks do not include ESPN, Fox, Turner, or the NBC Sports Network.
This report comes while Boise State is in the toughest position outside of perhaps Connecticut and Cincinnati in terms of being in limbo with conference realignment. The Broncos are slated to join the Big East for football on July 1, but the defection of the Catholic 7 in basketball has reportedly devalued the conference in the television rights market.
Commissioner Mike Aresco and the remaining members of the Big East have reportedly reached out to both UNLV and Fresno State about joining the league, but the Mountain West is likely stable at the moment.
According to Pete Thamel of Sports Illustrated, it is a virtual certainty that Boise State will leave at this point, which would trigger a “renegotiation of rights fees,” according to Dodd.
To read the entire report, click here.
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 4
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 7
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (16)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)