Dec 23, 2012, 9:32 AM EST
There’s a lot of conference movement out east, but the Mountain West Conference is solidifying itself by restructuring its television deal with CBS, Dennis Dodd of CBSSports.com is reporting.
The deal still expires after the 2015-16 season, but the conference reportedly has more flexibility to sell game packages to two additional networks. Those networks do not include ESPN, Fox, Turner, or the NBC Sports Network.
This report comes while Boise State is in the toughest position outside of perhaps Connecticut and Cincinnati in terms of being in limbo with conference realignment. The Broncos are slated to join the Big East for football on July 1, but the defection of the Catholic 7 in basketball has reportedly devalued the conference in the television rights market.
Commissioner Mike Aresco and the remaining members of the Big East have reportedly reached out to both UNLV and Fresno State about joining the league, but the Mountain West is likely stable at the moment.
According to Pete Thamel of Sports Illustrated, it is a virtual certainty that Boise State will leave at this point, which would trigger a “renegotiation of rights fees,” according to Dodd.
To read the entire report, click here.
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 4
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 3
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 1
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (13)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)