Dec 23, 2012, 11:36 AM EDT
Each day, CollegeBasketballTalk brings you the “Pregame Shootaround,” which will lay out a preview for the slate of games that night. We’ll take a look at some key match-ups and important games, as well as make some predictions and point out what you need to watch for. Take a look below at today’s edition:
Note: The weekend editions of Pregame Shootaround will be published half an hour prior to tip-off of the day’s first game.
Game of the Day: No. 4 Arizona vs. Miami (Fla.)
Arizona and Miami meet up in Hawaii in what some expect could be the most likely upset to keep us from a San Diego State-Arizona final. The Wildcats took care of East Tennessee State Saturday behind a double-double from freshman Brandon Ashley of 16 points and 10 rebounds. They face a Miami team that handled host school Hawaii with help from Durand Scott’s 20 points.
The Miami backcourt of Scott and Shane Larkin vs. Arizona’s Mark Lyons and Nick Johnson will be at the center of the matchup Sunday night. Also keep an eye on what Miami’s Reggie Johnson can do on the interior against the young front line from Arizona.
Who’s Getting Upset?: Virginia Tech against Colorado State (11:30 p.m. ET, CBS Sports Network)
It might not be your quintessential idea of an upset because these teams have identical records, but the Hokies began the season 7-0, including a big win over then-No. 15 Oklahoma State. They have since gone 2-2, including a loss to Georgia Southern at home. Colorado State, on the other hand, is riding a three-game winning streak. The biggest battle will be on the backboards between CSU’s Pierce Hornung and Colton Iverson and Tech’s Jarell Eddie.
Mid-Major Matchup of the Day: St. Mary’s vs. Northern Iowa (2:00 p.m. ET)
Don’t be fooled by Northern Iowa’s 6-5 record. All five losses have come against quality high-majors (Louisville, Stanford, Memphis, Iowa, UNLV) and UNI has beaten a solid mid-major in George Mason. St. Mary’s comes into Sunday’s game having shaken off two disappointing losses in late November to win four straight. Matthew Dellavedova continues to prove that he is one of the best point guards in the country, averaging 19.5 points and 6.1 assists per game. He’ll face off against Deon Mitchell, who leads UNI with 12.4 points and 3.6 assists per game.
Five Things to Watch
1. San Diego State is expected to be in the Diamond Head Classic final, but they have to get by Indiana State first. The Sycamores upset Ole Miss on Saturday.
2. Clemson traveled on the road to Coastal Carolina and got beaten soundly, 69-46, earlier this week. They now return home to take on South Carolina State Sunday.
3. Ole Miss is in the Top 10 nationally in both points and rebounding, yet lost to Indiana State in overtime on Saturday. They face San Francisco in the Diamond Head Classic.
4. Pittsburgh hasn’t gotten a whole lot of national recognition, despite the fact that the Panthers are 11-1. A win over Kennesaw State on Sunday will likely push them into the Top 25 when polls are released Monday.
5. Boise State is one of the upstart darlings of the early season under coach Leon Rice. Wins over Creighton and LSU have the Broncos on the maps. They face New Orleans Sunday.
The Top 25
No. 4 Arizona vs. Miami (Fla.) (11:30 p.m. ET, ESPN2)
No. 18 San Diego State vs. Indiana State (5:00 p.m. ET, ESPNU)
Other Notable Games
Ole Miss vs. San Francisco (3:00 p.m. ET, ESPNU)
Pittsburgh vs. Kennesaw State (5:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
Sep 20, 2014, 6:18 PM EDT
The South Charleston HS floor general was one of the state’s best players last season, and he could prep for a year before joining the WVU program.
Sep 20, 2014, 5:03 PM EDT
The son of a former national champion has made a name for himself by scoring 28 points per game as a junior.
Sep 20, 2014, 3:35 PM EDT
Mount St. Mary’s rewarded head coach Jamion Christian with an extension.
Sep 20, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Gonzaga has one of its deepest teams of all time and the Bulldogs are challenging themselves with a difficult non-conference schedule.
Sep 20, 2014, 12:45 PM EDT
Bradley forward Auston Barnes has been charged with misdemeanor domestic battery following an August arrest.
Sep 20, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
Pitt and head coach Jamie Dixon no longer hold a commitment from a former 2016 recruit.
Sep 20, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
A three-star forward has four schools that are heavily involved.
Sep 20, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Matt McQuaid can really light it up from the perimeter.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:50 PM EDT
Stephen Zimmerman is ranked the No. 10 overall recruit by Rivals.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Kentucky fans camped out on Monday in order to officially camp out for tickets on Wednesday morning.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT
The Rhode Island forward is eligible after missing the 2013-2014 season.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
The 6-foot-8 forward has two years of eligibility remaining.
Sep 19, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT
He was arrested on Feb. 14.
Sep 19, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT
The Yellow Jackets have added two new assistant to the coaching staff this offseason.
Sep 19, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
The Orange holds the first of two exhibition games on Nov. 2.
Sep 19, 2014, 4:08 PM EDT
The Roselle Catholic (New Jersey) product picked the Gamecocks over Seton Hall and Rhode Island.
Sep 19, 2014, 2:46 PM EDT
Interestingly enough, UAB visits Chattanooga December 22.
Sep 19, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
News and notes from around the world of college basketball recruiting.
Sep 19, 2014, 12:46 PM EDT
Thought the recent debate about USA Basketball and advantages gained by college coaches was getting tiresome?
Sep 19, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Fortune Magazine has the Krzyzewski and Staley ranked 20th (along with San Antonio Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich) on the list.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)