Dec 23, 2012, 11:36 AM EDT
Each day, CollegeBasketballTalk brings you the “Pregame Shootaround,” which will lay out a preview for the slate of games that night. We’ll take a look at some key match-ups and important games, as well as make some predictions and point out what you need to watch for. Take a look below at today’s edition:
Note: The weekend editions of Pregame Shootaround will be published half an hour prior to tip-off of the day’s first game.
Game of the Day: No. 4 Arizona vs. Miami (Fla.)
Arizona and Miami meet up in Hawaii in what some expect could be the most likely upset to keep us from a San Diego State-Arizona final. The Wildcats took care of East Tennessee State Saturday behind a double-double from freshman Brandon Ashley of 16 points and 10 rebounds. They face a Miami team that handled host school Hawaii with help from Durand Scott’s 20 points.
The Miami backcourt of Scott and Shane Larkin vs. Arizona’s Mark Lyons and Nick Johnson will be at the center of the matchup Sunday night. Also keep an eye on what Miami’s Reggie Johnson can do on the interior against the young front line from Arizona.
Who’s Getting Upset?: Virginia Tech against Colorado State (11:30 p.m. ET, CBS Sports Network)
It might not be your quintessential idea of an upset because these teams have identical records, but the Hokies began the season 7-0, including a big win over then-No. 15 Oklahoma State. They have since gone 2-2, including a loss to Georgia Southern at home. Colorado State, on the other hand, is riding a three-game winning streak. The biggest battle will be on the backboards between CSU’s Pierce Hornung and Colton Iverson and Tech’s Jarell Eddie.
Mid-Major Matchup of the Day: St. Mary’s vs. Northern Iowa (2:00 p.m. ET)
Don’t be fooled by Northern Iowa’s 6-5 record. All five losses have come against quality high-majors (Louisville, Stanford, Memphis, Iowa, UNLV) and UNI has beaten a solid mid-major in George Mason. St. Mary’s comes into Sunday’s game having shaken off two disappointing losses in late November to win four straight. Matthew Dellavedova continues to prove that he is one of the best point guards in the country, averaging 19.5 points and 6.1 assists per game. He’ll face off against Deon Mitchell, who leads UNI with 12.4 points and 3.6 assists per game.
Five Things to Watch
1. San Diego State is expected to be in the Diamond Head Classic final, but they have to get by Indiana State first. The Sycamores upset Ole Miss on Saturday.
2. Clemson traveled on the road to Coastal Carolina and got beaten soundly, 69-46, earlier this week. They now return home to take on South Carolina State Sunday.
3. Ole Miss is in the Top 10 nationally in both points and rebounding, yet lost to Indiana State in overtime on Saturday. They face San Francisco in the Diamond Head Classic.
4. Pittsburgh hasn’t gotten a whole lot of national recognition, despite the fact that the Panthers are 11-1. A win over Kennesaw State on Sunday will likely push them into the Top 25 when polls are released Monday.
5. Boise State is one of the upstart darlings of the early season under coach Leon Rice. Wins over Creighton and LSU have the Broncos on the maps. They face New Orleans Sunday.
The Top 25
No. 4 Arizona vs. Miami (Fla.) (11:30 p.m. ET, ESPN2)
No. 18 San Diego State vs. Indiana State (5:00 p.m. ET, ESPNU)
Other Notable Games
Ole Miss vs. San Francisco (3:00 p.m. ET, ESPNU)
Pittsburgh vs. Kennesaw State (5:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
Jul 27, 2014, 9:39 PM EDT
Despite not being included among the five official visits, Indiana and UNLV remain options for Zimmerman.
Jul 27, 2014, 5:41 PM EDT
Nearly three months after breaking a backboard during a pickup game, the rising junior took out another one this weekend.
Jul 27, 2014, 3:45 PM EDT
Chase Jeter is down to Arizona, Duke, UCLA and UNLV.
Jul 27, 2014, 3:05 PM EDT
Ray Smith tore his ACL earlier this month.
Jul 27, 2014, 1:35 PM EDT
Ed O’Bannon’s lead attorney didn’t even know who he was when he first met him.
Jul 27, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
It’s been a summer of viral dunks for the 6-foot-2 recruit
Las Vegas Saturday Recap: Bennie Boatwright, Justin Simon lead Dream Vision into adidas Super 64 semis
Jul 27, 2014, 10:29 AM EDT
Also some notes on junior college guard Andre Spight and 2015 guard Justin Foreman.
Jul 27, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Skal Labissiere may want to go to Europe. That does not mean Europe wants him.
AAU Nationals Saturday Recap: Raymond Spalding has upside, Trent Forrest and Gary Trent, Jr. perform at a high level
Jul 27, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
AAU Nationals and the Super Showcase continued on Saturday in Louisville.
Jul 26, 2014, 6:34 PM EDT
North Carolina is the latest school making the positive step of looking to help its former athletes obtain their college degrees.
Jul 26, 2014, 4:54 PM EDT
Meeks has lost nearly 50 pounds.
Jul 26, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
With Saint Louis losing five experienced seniors, the incoming freshman class could be expected to contribute immediately this season.
Jul 26, 2014, 1:42 PM EDT
Two top five players in the Class of 2016 were sent home.
Jul 26, 2014, 12:29 PM EDT
Brown also mentioned plans of taking an unofficial visit to UCLA following adidas Nations.
Jul 26, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
USA Basketball has a lot of talent in the building this week for the U17 World Championship camp.
AAU Nationals Friday Recap: Event moves to Louisville, Bruce Brown plays well, Noah Dickerson updates recruitment
Jul 26, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
AAU Nationals and Super Showcase continued on Friday in Louisville.
Jul 25, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
Florida commit KeVaughn Allen had a great week at Peach Jam.
Jul 25, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Former Delaware guard Jarvis Threatt is turning pro after being dismissed from the program in June.
Jul 25, 2014, 4:47 PM EDT
Didn’t believe Niang when he stated that he’d reshaped his body? Here’s visual evidence that he did.
Jul 25, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
New York City guard Rawle Alkins is one player to monitor in the Class of 2016.
- Skal Labissiere is considering Europe, but that doesn’t mean there’s a market for him 0
- AAU Nationals Saturday Recap: Raymond Spalding has upside, Trent Forrest and Gary Trent, Jr. perform at a high level 0
- Las Vegas Friday Recap: Jaylen Brown, Kobi Simmons among standouts 0
- AAU Nationals Friday Recap: Event moves to Louisville, Bruce Brown plays well, Noah Dickerson updates recruitment 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Class of 2015 Draft 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships 3
- Las Vegas Thursday Recap: Skal Labissiere, Stephen Zimmerman perform well 0
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (5)
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Mixtape for Ben Simmons, who proves he’s 2015′s No. 1 player (VIDEO) (2)