Dec 23, 2012, 11:36 AM EDT
Each day, CollegeBasketballTalk brings you the “Pregame Shootaround,” which will lay out a preview for the slate of games that night. We’ll take a look at some key match-ups and important games, as well as make some predictions and point out what you need to watch for. Take a look below at today’s edition:
Note: The weekend editions of Pregame Shootaround will be published half an hour prior to tip-off of the day’s first game.
Game of the Day: No. 4 Arizona vs. Miami (Fla.)
Arizona and Miami meet up in Hawaii in what some expect could be the most likely upset to keep us from a San Diego State-Arizona final. The Wildcats took care of East Tennessee State Saturday behind a double-double from freshman Brandon Ashley of 16 points and 10 rebounds. They face a Miami team that handled host school Hawaii with help from Durand Scott’s 20 points.
The Miami backcourt of Scott and Shane Larkin vs. Arizona’s Mark Lyons and Nick Johnson will be at the center of the matchup Sunday night. Also keep an eye on what Miami’s Reggie Johnson can do on the interior against the young front line from Arizona.
Who’s Getting Upset?: Virginia Tech against Colorado State (11:30 p.m. ET, CBS Sports Network)
It might not be your quintessential idea of an upset because these teams have identical records, but the Hokies began the season 7-0, including a big win over then-No. 15 Oklahoma State. They have since gone 2-2, including a loss to Georgia Southern at home. Colorado State, on the other hand, is riding a three-game winning streak. The biggest battle will be on the backboards between CSU’s Pierce Hornung and Colton Iverson and Tech’s Jarell Eddie.
Mid-Major Matchup of the Day: St. Mary’s vs. Northern Iowa (2:00 p.m. ET)
Don’t be fooled by Northern Iowa’s 6-5 record. All five losses have come against quality high-majors (Louisville, Stanford, Memphis, Iowa, UNLV) and UNI has beaten a solid mid-major in George Mason. St. Mary’s comes into Sunday’s game having shaken off two disappointing losses in late November to win four straight. Matthew Dellavedova continues to prove that he is one of the best point guards in the country, averaging 19.5 points and 6.1 assists per game. He’ll face off against Deon Mitchell, who leads UNI with 12.4 points and 3.6 assists per game.
Five Things to Watch
1. San Diego State is expected to be in the Diamond Head Classic final, but they have to get by Indiana State first. The Sycamores upset Ole Miss on Saturday.
2. Clemson traveled on the road to Coastal Carolina and got beaten soundly, 69-46, earlier this week. They now return home to take on South Carolina State Sunday.
3. Ole Miss is in the Top 10 nationally in both points and rebounding, yet lost to Indiana State in overtime on Saturday. They face San Francisco in the Diamond Head Classic.
4. Pittsburgh hasn’t gotten a whole lot of national recognition, despite the fact that the Panthers are 11-1. A win over Kennesaw State on Sunday will likely push them into the Top 25 when polls are released Monday.
5. Boise State is one of the upstart darlings of the early season under coach Leon Rice. Wins over Creighton and LSU have the Broncos on the maps. They face New Orleans Sunday.
The Top 25
No. 4 Arizona vs. Miami (Fla.) (11:30 p.m. ET, ESPN2)
No. 18 San Diego State vs. Indiana State (5:00 p.m. ET, ESPNU)
Other Notable Games
Ole Miss vs. San Francisco (3:00 p.m. ET, ESPNU)
Pittsburgh vs. Kennesaw State (5:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
Apr 18, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
Kansas will hold a groundbreaking ceremony for the DeBruce Center on May 2nd.
Apr 18, 2014, 10:23 AM EDT
With the rise in graduate transfers, the NCAA is looking to change the immediate eligibility process.
Former Nevada forward Cole Huff free to transfer to non-Mountain West schools in southern California
Apr 17, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
The number of schools that former Nevada forward Cole Huff is prohibited from transferring to has been cut down to 38 following an appeals hearing Thursday.
Apr 17, 2014, 9:07 PM EDT
NCAA tournament participants Cincinnati, Creighton and North Carolina Central part of eight-team field in inaugural Emerald Coast Classic.
Apr 17, 2014, 8:16 PM EDT
The order of protection filed against former Missouri forward Zach Price by Earnest Ross was thrown out Thursday.
Apr 17, 2014, 7:17 PM EDT
After leading Green Bay to a 24-win season, head coach Brian Wardle’s been rewarded with a new five-year contract.
Apr 17, 2014, 5:56 PM EDT
Gonzaga’s added a fourth member to its 2014 recruiting class, with the son of Hall of Famer Arvydas Sabonis making his pledge to join the program.
Apr 17, 2014, 5:06 PM EDT
Former Houston players Danuel House and TaShawn Thomas met with an appeals committee Thursday in hopes of getting released from their respective scholarships.
Apr 17, 2014, 4:19 PM EDT
Rodney Hood is following Jabari Parker to the league.
Apr 17, 2014, 4:03 PM EDT
Is Frank Haith getting out of Missouri before they kick him out?
Apr 17, 2014, 3:25 PM EDT
Kentucky is still waiting to hear from four players on their NBA decision.
Apr 17, 2014, 2:33 PM EDT
UCLA will be a contender in the Pac-12 next season with Jordan Adams returning to school.
Apr 17, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
With less than stellar reviews from NBA folks, might the Harrisons be leaning towards a return to Lexington?
Apr 17, 2014, 12:35 PM EDT
Parker will be a top three pick in the draft.
Apr 17, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
Jacksons path from Murray State to Southeastern Louisiana is wild.
Apr 17, 2014, 11:43 AM EDT
Hill wrote a nice note to Marquette fans to thank them.
Apr 17, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
Five protesters from the Westboro Baptist Church showed up at UMass on Wednesday. 1,500 students rallied in response.
Apr 16, 2014, 10:59 PM EDT
Caris LeVert reiterated his decision to return to Michigan for his junior year at the team’s postseason banquet Wednesday.
Apr 16, 2014, 8:57 PM EDT
According to a report, New Mexico State center Sim Bhullar will forego his final two seasons of eligibility to turn pro.
Apr 16, 2014, 8:24 PM EDT
After leading USC in scoring last season, Byron Wesley announced that he’ll be transferring after graduating this summer.
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 5
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)