Dec 24, 2012, 8:00 AM EDT
The Morning Mix hopes you all have a great start to your holiday week. Hopefully all of you survived the Mayan Apocalypse. I had my doubts, but having successfully navigated Y2K, I felt good about our chances.
Saturday featured a bevy of great action on the hardwood and with no games on the docket today, take the time to get caught up on the action.
And of course, enjoy the holidays.
Lets hit the links.
Read(s) of the Day:
Jeff Eisenberg provides the best stock report in the business. Here’s his take following a busy day of Saturday hoops. Read it. (The Dagger)
Read(s) of the Day:
Rob Dauster’s recap of all the Saturday games is must-read stuff. Read it. (Sports Illustrated)
Marquette puts together its version of ‘Twas the Night Before Christmas’: The GOlden Eagles love to create music videos for their fans, and Buzz and his squad didn’t disappoint in their latest rendition of this Christmas classic.
Temple upsets No. 3 Syracuse behind career day from senior Khalif Wyatt: Khalif Wyatt scored a career-high 33 points, including 20 in the first half, en route to a 83-79 win over the Orange at Madison Square Garden.
No. 9 Jayhawks share the ball, beat No. 7 Buckeyes in Columbus: Ben McLemore scored 22 points and look like the best player on a floor loaded with stars, but he was hardly the only Jayhawk to show up in the 74-66 KU victory over Ohio State.
Christmas Wish List for New Mexico: The Lobos will need increased marksmanship and improved played from Demetrius Walker.
Amidst realignment, Mountain West restructures television deal: The Mountain West Conference is solidifying itself amidst constant conference realignment by restructuring its television deal.
Buzzer-beater carries Mason over Richmond in Governor’s Classic: With the score knotted at 64-all, George Mason’s Sherrod Wright hit a three-point buzzer-beater to knock off Richmond in the Virginia Governor’s Classic.
Suspension of Texas guard Myck Kabongo revised down to 23 games by NCAA: The NCAA suspension of Texas guard Myck Kabongo has been revised to 23 games, days after the NCAA ruled that the sophomore would be suspended for the rest of the season for receiving impermissible benefits.
Siena has announced that sophomore Lionel Gomis is no longer with the men’s basketball team and has left Siena for personal family reasons. (4 Guys in a Blazer)
- Miami center Reggie Johnson jammed his thumb preparing for the Diamondhead Classic and was not able to play in the Hurricanes’ first two games of the event. (College Basketball Talk)
- Former-Louisville forward Angel Nunez will visit Gonzaga over the holidays. the Sophomore left the Cardinals early this month after averaging just under fiver minutes per game. (SNY.tv)
Observations & Insight:
- Missouri’s Phil Pressey missed 16 shots on Saturday against Illinois yet was still the game MVP. Why? because he just so happens to be the best facilitator in the country. (Eye on College Basketball)
- Temple was able to force Michael Carter-Williams into a shooter instead of a distributor, and was one of the big reasons the Owls defeated the Orange. (Syracuse Post-Standard)
- South Dakota State took a 1,200-mile bus-trip from Nashville to Albuquerque and promptly handed New Mexico their first loss of the season. (Argus Leader)
- A great-read on Rice head coach Ben Braun and the uncertain future he faces due to the Owls’ struggles. (Rush The Court)
- Oklahoma State has been a pleasant surprise this season. If the Cowboys are to continue their impressive play, they will need to get the right presents for Christmas (The Oklahoman)
Odds & Ends
- A solid Q&A session with Pittsburgh’s Tray Woodhall. (USA Today)
- ESPN play-by-play announcer Mitch Holthus made a racially sensitive remark regarding Kansas State guard Angel Rodriguez. The sophomore guard was also the target of racially charged jeers from the Southern Mississippi student section last season. (Deadspin)
- Maryland players sing “Frosty The Snowman”. These guys need to stick with basketball. (Testudo Times)
- Oklahoma State coach Travis Ford had no clue who he was playing last week. (Pistols Firing)
Picture of the Day:
Laurence Bowers and Sam McLaurin got tied up in the first half the the annual “Bragging Rights Game” between Missouri and Illinois. This tie-up led to a brief altercation between the two teams. Fortunately no punches were thrown and play resumed.
UNC-Wilmington’s Keith Rendlemen goes hard in the paint as well
Oh, it’s nothing really, just a 360 ally-oop from Markel Brown
Do you like the new Morning Mix? Hate it? Have a suggestion or want something featured? Troy Machir will take all your praise, insults and inquiries via Twitter (@TroyMachir)
May 25, 2013, 10:20 PM EDT
We know the road to the 2014 national championship will end in Dallas (Arlington, whatevs) next season. Now we also know that the title chase will begin there as well. ESPN’s Jason King is reporting that eight teams will meet at American Airlines Center on November 8, headlined by a potential Top 25 matchup between…
May 25, 2013, 9:10 PM EDT
Former Virginia guard Paul Jesperson has made his transfer decision today, and he’ll be joining the Northern Iowa Panthers. Jesperson, a former Wisconsin Mr. Basketball, got off to a slow start in Charlottesville, seeing little playing time as a freshman. As a sophomore, his defensive prowess earned him more minutes, but his offensive skills still…
May 25, 2013, 5:06 PM EDT
Jesse Morgan had a rough season at UMass last season, to say the least. Morgan, along with teammates Cady Lalanne and Trey Davis, was suspended from a preseason exhibition game for undisclosed disciplinary reasons. Then he went down with a season-ending ACL injury on January 10, in the midst of his strongest season to date.…
May 25, 2013, 4:00 PM EDT
We just found out that Mike Krzyzewski will continue to shepherd America’s elite international basketball squad. Amid a tacit assertion of predictability in the coaching ranks, Coach K paid lip service to the notion that it’s time for USA Basketball to physically move out of its current offices in Colorado Springs. “I think in the near future…
May 25, 2013, 2:05 PM EDT
Former Texas Tech and Santa Clara guard Decensae White was arrested on murder charges stemming from the death of a rapper from Georgia named Lil’ Phat. White played at Texas Tech from 2006-2008 and was a member of the Santa Clara program during the 2008-2009 season. After a hiatus from the sport, White returned this…
May 25, 2013, 1:48 PM EDT
Myles Turner is one of the hottest names on the AAU circuit this spring. The 6-foot-11 center Euless, TX, has the kind of length and athleticism that makes scouts drool, and he just so happens to have a face-up game and the ability to knock down a jump shot in pick-and-pop actions. That’s why he’s…
May 25, 2013, 12:10 PM EDT
EAGAN, Mn. — As the EYBL nears the end of its regular season over Memorial Day weekend near Minneapolis, many of the top uncommitted players in the 2014 class are seeing their recruitments pick up before the summer months begin. One player drawing tons of attention is Alabama Challenge shooting guard Devin Booker. The 6-5…
May 25, 2013, 11:15 AM EDT
Lamar and head coach Pat Knight announced on Friday the signing of three junior college players to add to Lamar’s latest recruiting class. The Cardinals will add a pair of forwards in Octavius Green and Tyran de Lattibeaudiere, and also add potential All-Name Team member and point guard Nimrod Hilliard. Lamar had previously signed junior…
May 25, 2013, 10:34 AM EDT
Oregon State senior forward Joe Burton will graduate from the school in June after a four-year career and over 1,000 points scored. But although many college players with such a pedigree look to play professional basketball after their careers end — as Burton will also do — Burton’s mother said that he could also go…
May 24, 2013, 8:55 PM EDT
With Javon McCrea and Cameron Downing entering their senior campaign at Buffalo, first-year head coach Bobby Hurley can use some additional front court depth that will benefit the Bulls in 2014. Hurley’s numbers received a boost on Friday afternoon, as it was reported by Adam Zagoria of ZagsBlog.com that former Marshall forward Jamir Hanner has…
May 24, 2013, 7:30 PM EDT
According to the Idaho Statesman, Boise State freshman forward Vukasin Vujovic has decided to leave the program. In his one season at Boise State, the native of Serbia saw action in just nine of the Broncos’ 32 games. In those nine games the 6-9 Vujovic averaged just 4.0 minutes and 1.4 points per game. Vujovic’s…
May 24, 2013, 6:00 PM EDT
When it was announced just over a month ago that Central Connecticut State leading scorer Kyle Vinales would look to transfer, the biggest factor in his decision was a desire to reach postseason play. Vinales, who averaged nearly 22 points per game as a sophomore, at one point tweeted his decision to transfer to Toledo only…
May 24, 2013, 4:38 PM EDT
With the recent news that former Purdue forward Sandi Marcius would transfer to DePaul, it was only a matter of time before the other shoe dropped in this scenario. That would be Donnavan Kirk looking to finish his collegiate career at another institution. On Friday the school announced that it has granted Kirk permission to…
May 24, 2013, 2:37 PM EDT
Last November the organizers of the Puerto Rico Tip-Off announced its completed eight-team field, with programs such as Florida State, Georgetown and Michigan being confirmed participants. Also among the eight teams: Auburn. But apparently something changed with the Tigers’ schedule, leading to a report from Andy Katz of ESPN.com that Northeastern would be the eighth…
May 24, 2013, 1:40 PM EDT
During the spring multiple allegations surfaced regarding Green Bay head coach Brian Wardle’s treatment of some of his players, and some of the charges went well beyond the use of profane language. In one instance former center Ryan Bross alleged that he was forced to run sprints until ultimately soiling his shorts, despite stating the…
May 24, 2013, 12:45 PM EDT
In an appearance on “The Dan Patrick Show” this morning, Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski discusses topics such as his decision to return as head coach of the US men’s national team for the 2016 Summer Olympics and his future at Duke. Also of note were Krzyzewski’s comments on incoming freshman Jabari Parker, stating that…
May 24, 2013, 11:54 AM EDT
Earlier this week an advertisement for Calhoun’s BBQ done by former Tennessee basketball player Steven Pearl hit the airwaves, and it included a reference to current Ohio State point guard Aaron Craft. But that reference has led to the compliance department at Ohio State getting involved, looking to make sure it’s clear that there was…
May 24, 2013, 10:20 AM EDT
In the aftermath of Sheldon Jeter’s decision to transfer from Vanderbilt it was reported that Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings was blocking Pittsburgh as a possible destination. Some assumed that tampering was the reason for the move, but according to a report by Andy Katz of ESPN.com that may not be the case. Regardless of…
May 24, 2013, 8:52 AM EDT
With the graduation of leading scorers Brandon Paul and D.J. Richardson, there was a chance that 6-6 forward Myke Henry would see more opportunities to produce for Illinois in 2013-14. However it seems as if the Chicago native won’t be around to realize such possibilities, as it was reported by the Champaign News-Gazette that Henry…
May 23, 2013, 10:50 PM EDT
Head coach Alan Major led the Charlotte basketball program to its first 20-win season since 2008 this past year, as the 49ers won 21 games and received a bid to the Postseason NIT. Next up for Major’s program is Conference USA, and the former Ohio State assistant will make the move with a new contract…
- Next college hoops season will begin and end in Texas 0
- The key to recruiting Myles Turner: a good psychology department? 0
- Green Bay will retain head coach Brian Wardle 2
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 5
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ (5)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (4)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Bill Self, redshirts, and the Power of Andrew Wiggins (4)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona