Dec 26, 2012, 3:52 PM EST
Former Villanova guard Ty Johnson, who announced his intent to transfer earlier this year, will continue his collegiate career playing for head coach Frank Martin at South Carolina, CBSSports.com is reporting.
Johnson, a 6-3 native of New Jersey, played in 32 games during his freshman year at Villanova, but was in a crowded Wildcat backcourt that also includes freshman Ryan Arcidiacono and Wake Forest transfer Tony Chennault. Chennault was granted a waiver to play immediately for Villanova this season.
Coming out of high school, Johnson was a Top 75 recruit who chose Villanova over St. John’s, Virginia Tech, Rutgers, and Georgetown. He now becomes presumably the next in line at the point guard spot for the Gamecocks once current junior Bruce Ellington graduates after next season.
Johnson will have to sit out the Spring 2013 semester, as well as the Fall 2013 semester, and will be eligible to play in December of 2013.
Martin is doing his part to turn the South Carolina program around from its 10-21 finish last season with a strong push on the recruiting trail. He has already secured the signature of Top-100 prospect Sindarius Thornwell, as well as two other players from the Class of 2013.
The Gamecocks are 8-3 so far in 2012-13 and return to the floor Saturday against Presbyterian.
- Bubble Banter: Whose tournament hopes are on the line on Tuesday night? 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s Frank Kaminsky’s award to win 1
- Ohio Valley Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 10
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 20
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (20)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)