Dec 26, 2012, 3:52 PM EDT
Former Villanova guard Ty Johnson, who announced his intent to transfer earlier this year, will continue his collegiate career playing for head coach Frank Martin at South Carolina, CBSSports.com is reporting.
Johnson, a 6-3 native of New Jersey, played in 32 games during his freshman year at Villanova, but was in a crowded Wildcat backcourt that also includes freshman Ryan Arcidiacono and Wake Forest transfer Tony Chennault. Chennault was granted a waiver to play immediately for Villanova this season.
Coming out of high school, Johnson was a Top 75 recruit who chose Villanova over St. John’s, Virginia Tech, Rutgers, and Georgetown. He now becomes presumably the next in line at the point guard spot for the Gamecocks once current junior Bruce Ellington graduates after next season.
Johnson will have to sit out the Spring 2013 semester, as well as the Fall 2013 semester, and will be eligible to play in December of 2013.
Martin is doing his part to turn the South Carolina program around from its 10-21 finish last season with a strong push on the recruiting trail. He has already secured the signature of Top-100 prospect Sindarius Thornwell, as well as two other players from the Class of 2013.
The Gamecocks are 8-3 so far in 2012-13 and return to the floor Saturday against Presbyterian.
- Jabari Parker on a potential move to two-and-done: ‘I think that’s ridiculous’ 1
- John Calipari appears on ‘The Colbert Report’ (VIDEO) 0
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)