Dec 26, 2012, 3:52 PM EST
Former Villanova guard Ty Johnson, who announced his intent to transfer earlier this year, will continue his collegiate career playing for head coach Frank Martin at South Carolina, CBSSports.com is reporting.
Johnson, a 6-3 native of New Jersey, played in 32 games during his freshman year at Villanova, but was in a crowded Wildcat backcourt that also includes freshman Ryan Arcidiacono and Wake Forest transfer Tony Chennault. Chennault was granted a waiver to play immediately for Villanova this season.
Coming out of high school, Johnson was a Top 75 recruit who chose Villanova over St. John’s, Virginia Tech, Rutgers, and Georgetown. He now becomes presumably the next in line at the point guard spot for the Gamecocks once current junior Bruce Ellington graduates after next season.
Johnson will have to sit out the Spring 2013 semester, as well as the Fall 2013 semester, and will be eligible to play in December of 2013.
Martin is doing his part to turn the South Carolina program around from its 10-21 finish last season with a strong push on the recruiting trail. He has already secured the signature of Top-100 prospect Sindarius Thornwell, as well as two other players from the Class of 2013.
The Gamecocks are 8-3 so far in 2012-13 and return to the floor Saturday against Presbyterian.
- Weekly Awards: LaDontae Henton, West Virginia with notable performances 0
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? 3
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 1
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 1
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)
- Colorado’s second half run a product of its focus on getting the ball inside (3)