Dec 26, 2012, 11:03 AM EDT
Before the Diamond Head Classic, not many people in Miami-Dade County knew who Jake Odum was. With one shot on Christmas Day, that is likely to change.
Odum, a 6-4 junior, waved off help from teammates on Indiana State’s final possession before driving into the lane, pump-faking, stepping around a defender, and banking a shot off the glass to give the Sycamores a 57-55 lead with 0.8 seconds remaining. The would prove to be the game-winner, giving Indiana State a third place finish in the annual holiday tournament in Hawaii.
That was one of just two shots that Odum made on the afternoon, finishing 2-of-7 from the floor for nine points. The shot gave Indiana State its second victory in the Diamond Head Classic and an upset over a team that many thought was coming on strong prior to the beginning of ACC play.
With Reggie Johnson sidelined with an injury, Indiana State was able to keep the game close on the backboards, which was aided by an 0-of-15 shooting night from three-point range for Miami. Not that the Sycamores shot well from the field either, because they finished 27 percent from the floor overall, but their 6-of-25 mark from three was part of the difference.
For Miami, Jim Larranaga’s team will continue to fight depth issues and injuries don’t help. The Hurricanes were missing Durand Scott when they lost to Florida Gulf Coast earlier this year, and now drop two in a row without Reggie Johnson.
The Hurricanes have one game remaining before the start of ACC play against Georgia Tech on Jan. 5.
To see the shot, click here.
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 4
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 7
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (17)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)