Dec 26, 2012, 11:03 AM EST
Before the Diamond Head Classic, not many people in Miami-Dade County knew who Jake Odum was. With one shot on Christmas Day, that is likely to change.
Odum, a 6-4 junior, waved off help from teammates on Indiana State’s final possession before driving into the lane, pump-faking, stepping around a defender, and banking a shot off the glass to give the Sycamores a 57-55 lead with 0.8 seconds remaining. The would prove to be the game-winner, giving Indiana State a third place finish in the annual holiday tournament in Hawaii.
That was one of just two shots that Odum made on the afternoon, finishing 2-of-7 from the floor for nine points. The shot gave Indiana State its second victory in the Diamond Head Classic and an upset over a team that many thought was coming on strong prior to the beginning of ACC play.
With Reggie Johnson sidelined with an injury, Indiana State was able to keep the game close on the backboards, which was aided by an 0-of-15 shooting night from three-point range for Miami. Not that the Sycamores shot well from the field either, because they finished 27 percent from the floor overall, but their 6-of-25 mark from three was part of the difference.
For Miami, Jim Larranaga’s team will continue to fight depth issues and injuries don’t help. The Hurricanes were missing Durand Scott when they lost to Florida Gulf Coast earlier this year, and now drop two in a row without Reggie Johnson.
The Hurricanes have one game remaining before the start of ACC play against Georgia Tech on Jan. 5.
To see the shot, click here.
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)
- Colorado’s second half run a product of its focus on getting the ball inside (3)