Dec 26, 2012, 11:03 AM EDT
Before the Diamond Head Classic, not many people in Miami-Dade County knew who Jake Odum was. With one shot on Christmas Day, that is likely to change.
Odum, a 6-4 junior, waved off help from teammates on Indiana State’s final possession before driving into the lane, pump-faking, stepping around a defender, and banking a shot off the glass to give the Sycamores a 57-55 lead with 0.8 seconds remaining. The would prove to be the game-winner, giving Indiana State a third place finish in the annual holiday tournament in Hawaii.
That was one of just two shots that Odum made on the afternoon, finishing 2-of-7 from the floor for nine points. The shot gave Indiana State its second victory in the Diamond Head Classic and an upset over a team that many thought was coming on strong prior to the beginning of ACC play.
With Reggie Johnson sidelined with an injury, Indiana State was able to keep the game close on the backboards, which was aided by an 0-of-15 shooting night from three-point range for Miami. Not that the Sycamores shot well from the field either, because they finished 27 percent from the floor overall, but their 6-of-25 mark from three was part of the difference.
For Miami, Jim Larranaga’s team will continue to fight depth issues and injuries don’t help. The Hurricanes were missing Durand Scott when they lost to Florida Gulf Coast earlier this year, and now drop two in a row without Reggie Johnson.
The Hurricanes have one game remaining before the start of ACC play against Georgia Tech on Jan. 5.
To see the shot, click here.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)