Dec 26, 2012, 11:03 AM EDT
Before the Diamond Head Classic, not many people in Miami-Dade County knew who Jake Odum was. With one shot on Christmas Day, that is likely to change.
Odum, a 6-4 junior, waved off help from teammates on Indiana State’s final possession before driving into the lane, pump-faking, stepping around a defender, and banking a shot off the glass to give the Sycamores a 57-55 lead with 0.8 seconds remaining. The would prove to be the game-winner, giving Indiana State a third place finish in the annual holiday tournament in Hawaii.
That was one of just two shots that Odum made on the afternoon, finishing 2-of-7 from the floor for nine points. The shot gave Indiana State its second victory in the Diamond Head Classic and an upset over a team that many thought was coming on strong prior to the beginning of ACC play.
With Reggie Johnson sidelined with an injury, Indiana State was able to keep the game close on the backboards, which was aided by an 0-of-15 shooting night from three-point range for Miami. Not that the Sycamores shot well from the field either, because they finished 27 percent from the floor overall, but their 6-of-25 mark from three was part of the difference.
For Miami, Jim Larranaga’s team will continue to fight depth issues and injuries don’t help. The Hurricanes were missing Durand Scott when they lost to Florida Gulf Coast earlier this year, and now drop two in a row without Reggie Johnson.
The Hurricanes have one game remaining before the start of ACC play against Georgia Tech on Jan. 5.
To see the shot, click here.
Sep 1, 2015, 10:45 PM EDT
Bryce Alford is UCLA’s top returning scorer.
Sep 1, 2015, 8:42 PM EDT
Denzel Valentine will be in contention for Big Ten Player of the Year this season.
Sep 1, 2015, 7:16 PM EDT
Malik Monk is rated as the sixth-best player in 2016.
Sep 1, 2015, 6:33 PM EDT
Duke gets another five-star recruit.
Sep 1, 2015, 5:18 PM EDT
UConn landed its second four-star recruit in the Class of 2016.
Sep 1, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
The GW senior finished with 19 points.
Sep 1, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT
Jayce Johnson is focusing on five schools as he’s set four official visits.
Sep 1, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
Georgetown has some very intriguing games on the non-conference slate.
Sep 1, 2015, 12:45 PM EDT
Arkansas won’t be getting a boost from the four-star big man.
Sep 1, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
Pitt bolsters its backcourt with the late addition of a junior college guard.
Sep 1, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
Conference realignment is still happening at the lower levels as Coastal Carolina makes a move to the Sun Belt.
Sep 1, 2015, 9:05 AM EDT
Shamorie Ponds is one of the best bucket-getting guards in the 2016 class.
Aug 31, 2015, 11:15 PM EDT
Malik Monk is rated No. 6 overall in the Class of 2016 by Rivals.
Aug 31, 2015, 9:44 PM EDT
It’s the second commit in as many nights for the Cyclones.
Aug 31, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT
Javion Ogunyemi averaged 9.3 points and 4.8 rebounds per game in 2014-15.
Aug 31, 2015, 6:10 PM EDT
The two teams last met in the 2013 Big East Tournament
Aug 31, 2015, 4:44 PM EDT
Indiana dismissed the forward after his second alcohol-related incident.
Aug 31, 2015, 4:35 PM EDT
Cheick Diallo is still waiting to hear from the NCAA Eligibility Center.
Aug 31, 2015, 2:05 PM EDT
Frank Jackson will make his college decision on Tuesday.
Aug 31, 2015, 12:45 PM EDT
Rawle Alkins is one of the best players to come out of New York in years.
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- 10 year old Ohio State fan worried heart surgery would make him love Michigan (1)
- Seton Hall to give scholarship basketball players $2,600 towards cost of attendance (1)
- Indiana president none too pleased with recent legal issues involving student-athletes (1)
- Throwback Thursday: When we realized Russell Westbrook was a freak (VIDEO) (1)