Dec 27, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT
Each day, CollegeBasketballTalk brings you the “Pregame Shootaround,” which will lay out a preview for the slate of games that night. We’ll take a look at some key match-ups and important games, as well as make some predictions and point out what you need to watch for. Take a look below at today’s edition:
Note: The weekend editions of Pregame Shootaround will be published half an hour prior to tip-off of the day’s first game.
Game of the Day: New Mexico at No. 8 Cincinnati (9 PM)
This was destined to be a matchup of ranked (and undefeated) teams…until the Lobos ran into a South Dakota State team that released those travel-related frustrations in a 70-65 win at The Pit on Saturday. The task for Steve Alford’s team is to rebound from that defeat, and in order to do so the Lobos have to keep Cincinnati off the offensive glass. The Bearcats are averaging 17.0 offensive rebounds per game, managing to grab 43% of their own misses (ranking 8th nationally). A good amount of the responsibility in that regard will fall upon the shoulders of Alex Kirk (7.5 rpg) and Cameron Bairstow (5.0 rpg), and UNM has done a solid job in this department as they’re allowing opponents to rebound just 26.5% of their missed shots.
The matchups on the perimeter should be outstanding, with UNM boasting Hugh Greenwood, Kendall Williams and Tony Snell while the Bearcats will counter with Cashmere Wright, JaQuon Parker and Sean Kilpatrick. Keep an eye on Cincinnati forward Titus Rubles (7.3 ppg, 6.2 rpg), who bounced back from a four-game slump to provide 11 points and nine rebounds in Saturday’s 68-58 win over Wright State. The better he performs as Cincinnati’s “fourth” scoring option the better the chances are of the Bearcats contending in the Big East.
Mid-Major Matchup of the Day: Oakland at Western Illinois (8 PM)
Western Illinois is off to a 2-0 start in Summit League play, as they picked up road victories at Kansas City and Eastern Illinois at the beginning of the month. But the return to league play brings about a significant challenge, as Greg Kampe’s Golden Grizzlies visit Macomb. Oakland may be 5-8 on the season but ten of those games have been played on the road (2-8 record) and they haven’t ducked many challenges from a scheduling standpoint either. WIU will need to slow down junior guard Travis Bader, who is averaging 20.2 points per game, but they can’t ignore Corey Petros or Duke Mondy either. Offensively the Leathernecks will counter with guard Ceola Clark III and forward Terrell Parks, and tempo will be a factor in the outcome as well (Oakland averages nine more possessions per game).
Five Things to Watch
1) Busy night in the Sun Belt as there are three conference games on the slate. Two teams in need of a win tonight are Troy and Arkansas State, with both sitting at 0-2 in Sun Belt play. Both teams are at home tonight, with Troy hosting FAU and Arkansas State hosting Louisiana-Lafayette.
2) Texas Southern (1-11) looks to end a nine-game losing streak but the task will be a difficult one, as they visit Akron at the JAR. Omar Strong and Raymond Penn lead the way for Mike Davis’ team, but the Tigers will need to have an answer for Akron’s Zeke Marshall in the paint if they’re to win.
3) Fellow SWAC member Alcorn State plays the first of two tough games in New York tonight when they visit 8-3 Canisius. If the Braves are the end their seven-game skid one thinks they better handle it tonight, as a trip to No. 7 Syracuse on Saturday is next.
4) Saint Mary’s looks to get back on the right track (and remain undefeated at home) with Rhode Island visiting McKeon Pavilion. Matthew Dellavedova struggled in Sunday’s loss at Northern Iowa, and this week is an opportunity not only for him to get going but for the Gaels to have other offensive options step up (Jorden Page scored 26 points on Sunday) in advance of WCC play.
5) Interestingly enough the Gaels aren’t the only WCC team looking to rebound from losses last weekend, as both BYU (Northern Arizona) and Loyola Marymount (Morgan State) return to action. The Cougars would be wise to keep NAU freshman point guard DeWayne Russell under wraps, but it remains to be seen if the Lumberjacks have an answer for BYU’s Brandon Davies inside.
The Rest of the Top 25
No games scheduled.
Other Notable Games
Fort Wayne at IUPUI (7 PM)
Florida International at Western Kentucky (8 PM)
Northern Arizona at BYU (9 PM)
Rhode Island at Saint Mary’s (10 PM)
Stats courtesy of statsheet.com
Apr 20, 2014, 10:43 PM EDT
Late Sunday Vanderbilt landed its first commitment in the 2015 class, with shooting guard Camron Justice announcing his pledge via Twitter.
Apr 20, 2014, 9:02 PM EDT
USF lost two more players Saturday as guards Javontae Hawkins and Musa Abdul-Aleem decided to transfer.
Apr 20, 2014, 8:03 PM EDT
UConn guard Ryan Boatright is still weighing whether or not to enter the 2014 NBA Draft.
Apr 20, 2014, 6:20 PM EDT
The 62nd annual Portsmouth Invitational Tournament wrapped up Saturday night, with former Marquette big man Davante Gardner winning MVP honors.
Apr 20, 2014, 4:50 PM EDT
Houston landed a second junior college transfer Sunday, with Howard College product Eric Weary announcing his decision to commit to the program.
Apr 20, 2014, 4:07 PM EDT
More than three years later, Nick Resavy is still making ridiculous shots.
Apr 20, 2014, 1:51 PM EDT
The electrifying point guard has put his name into the NBA draft.
Apr 20, 2014, 12:51 PM EDT
The Harrison twins are halfway through deciding on returning to Lexington or declaring for the NBA draft.
Apr 20, 2014, 12:02 PM EDT
Garrett becomes the fourth member of the Crimson Tide’s incoming class.
Apr 20, 2014, 11:17 AM EDT
The Cougars landed a former top 100 recruit on Sunday morning.
Apr 20, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
Just over a week after his appeal to be released from his scholarship at Marshall was granted, Kareem Canty’s decided to transfer to Auburn.
Apr 20, 2014, 9:45 AM EDT
Watch the incoming class showcase their talents in Brooklyn on Friday night.
Apr 20, 2014, 12:58 AM EDT
According to a report, Louisiana Tech’s Michael White is the focus of Tennessee’s search for a new head coach.
Apr 19, 2014, 9:17 PM EDT
A Kentucky fan promised to get a tattoo of Willie Cauley-Stein if the 7-footer returned to Lexington for his junior season. Saturday, Michael Gray followed through.
Apr 19, 2014, 7:36 PM EDT
UNLV has added another player to its 2014 recruiting class, as shooting guard Patrick McCaw verbally committed to the Mountain West program.
Apr 19, 2014, 6:24 PM EDT
Arizona State has made another addition to its roster, landing a commitment from former UNLV forward Savon Goodman.
Apr 19, 2014, 5:45 PM EDT
Forward Zach LeDay has decided to leave the USF program after spending two seasons in Tampa.
Apr 19, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
New Florida A&M AD Kellen Winslow Sr. has already decided that the basketball program needs a new leader, as head coach Clemon Johnson was relieved of his duties Friday.
Apr 19, 2014, 4:25 PM EDT
Will highly-touted Colombian center Tonny Trocha-Morelos finally be joining the Texas A&M program?
Apr 19, 2014, 2:39 PM EDT
Michigan had some open scholarships following the 2014 NBA Draft departures of Nik Stauskas and Glenn Robinson III and they filled one of those on Saturday with a commitment from senior guard Muhammad Ali Abdur-Rahkman.
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 4
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 7
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (17)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)