Dec 27, 2012, 8:00 AM EDT
I hope you all had an excellent holiday. The Diamondhead Classic provided a great accompaniment of college hoops to your holiday festivities. While the hardwood action today is sparse, consider this a tune-up for another solid weekend slate of college hoops.
Today’s Morning Mix goes out to Creighton’s Josh Jones (@62JJonsey), whose basketball career was cut short due to heart complications.
Lets hit the links.
Thursday’s Top Games:
7:00 p.m. – New Mexico @ No. 8 Cincinnati
8:00 p.m. – Oakland @ Western Illinois
10:00 p.m. – Rhode Island @ Saint Mary’s
Read(s) of the Day:
Josh Jones’ career at Creighton has been cut short due to heart troubles. In honor of his accomplishments, the White 7 Blue Review put together an awesome career retrospective. Read it. (White & Blue Review)
Is Murray State an elite mid-major program, or just a good team? Isaiah Canaan has put Murray State on the map, but much of the Racers success came before Canaan was the featured star. In order to gauge the Murray State program as a whole, we need to see how the Racers do when their current crop of stars departs.
San Diego State’s size, versatility makes them more dangerous than a year ago:
San Diego State lost their second game of the season on Christmas night, but the Aztecs’ versatile frontcourt should actually make them more dangerous than a year ago.
Who is the best college basketball team in the West? While the Pac-12 is way down, west coast hoops is being supported by MWC and WCC teams. It’s clear that Arizona is the best team out west, but which teams are next in line?
10 tidbits to know: Bearcats boarding, Baron scoring and more: NBC Sports’ College Basketball Insider Vin Parise stops by to dish on ten tidbits you need to know heading in to the next week.
Ryan Harrow, as good as any point guard in the country? Kentucky guard Ryan Harrow had a rough start to the season. He was benched in favor of a walk-on, sat out with an illness, and took a leave of absence to deal with personal matters. But in the last three weeks, the Ryan Harrow we all expected to see early in the season has emerged.
– The career of Creighton’s Josh Jones has come to halt due to heart conditions. The Senior guard collapsed momentarily prior to a November 9 game against Nebraska. (Omaha World-Herald)
- Nebraska redshirt freshman Deverell Biggs was charged with DUI and leaving the scene following a traffic stop early Sunday morning. (Corn Nation)
- Louisville center Gorgui Dieng has been cleared for practice and got an x-ray on his injured wrist. The Junior won’t play against Kentucky, but should return to action shortly after January 1. (The Cardinal Connect)
- Scratch that, it looks like Gorgui Dieng will give it a go against Kentucky, per Jeff “Two Scoops” Goodman. (Eye on College Basketball)
- UNLV forward Mike Moser returned to practice yesterday but is unlikely to play against North Carolina this weekend. (Las Vegas Sun)
- South Carolina has landed former-Villanova point guard Ty Johnson. (SNY.tv)
- The injury bug has turned into an epidemic for the Seton Hall Pirates. This time around, it’s backup forward Kevin Johnson, who will miss 2-3 weeks after undergoing arthroscopic knee surgery yesterday morning. (Sporting News)
Observations & Insight:
– Miami went to Maui and learned that they will only go as far as Reggie Johnson can take them. (Busting Brackets)
- Jeff Eisenberg provides a conference reset for the ACC. It’s Duke or bust. (The Dagger)
- A good-read on Dyami Starks, the little-known difference maker for the Bryant Bulldogs. (Big Apple Buckets)
- An excellent-read on the development of Kyisean Reed and his new found leadership. (Salt Lake Tribune)
Video(s) of the Day:
Here is Casey Prather performing the single sloppiest in-bounds pass of all time.
Do you like the new Morning Mix? Hate it? Have a suggestion or want something featured? Troy Machir will take all your praise, insults and inquiries via Twitter (@TroyMachir)
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska invades Chicago, Wake Forest lands big recruit, Wisconsin gets another system fit 0
- Four-star forward becomes Nebraska’s third 2015 commitment 0
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)
- Watch Kentucky fans sprinting to line up for Big Blue Madness tickets (VIDEO) (2)
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference (2)