Dec 28, 2012, 10:09 PM EST
Tucker Halpern went off the high screen, fading to the corner. He took a high pass, caught, pump faked Josh Fortune into the air, took a dribble and drained his eighth 3-pointer off the night to give Brown a 69-68 lead with seven seconds remaining. Providence got the ball inside the 3-point line, but Vincent Council fumbled the dribble and missed a three, followed by a miss tip-in, as the Bears took down city rival at home Friday night.
Vincent Council, who returned to the PC lineup for the first time since Nov. 10 due to a hamstring injury, went to the line up 67-66 and sank the first free throw, but missed the second, setting up Halpern’s late-game heroics.
Providence was without leading scorer, Bryce Cotton, but the loss to Brown (4-6) was the headlining act for a forgettable night for three members of the Catholic 7.
Besides the PC loss, Villanova and Seton Hall both struggled with the likes of NJIT and Stony Brook.
Villanova was able to pull away late in the second half to beat NJIT 70-60, but it wasn’t easy. NJIT, who started Division I play in 2006, had the game tied a 52 with just over 10 minutes to play. The Highlanders have played three Catholic 7 schools this season before the Villanova game – Providence, Seton Hall, and St. John’s – and lost all three games by a total of 18 points.
Stony Brook almost sneaked out an upset against Seton Hall, but the Pirates held off the Seawolves 60-59. Stony Brook lead 55-51 with 6:21 to play until Seton Hall put together a 7-0 run to get the lead for good. Stony Brook had a chance to win at the buzzer, but a 3-point attempt from Anthony Jackson was off the mark.
Catholic 7 is back in action when Marquette hosts North Carolina Central and DePaul takes on Loyola (IL) on Saturday.
Jan 29, 2015, 4:42 PM EST
Rasheed Sulaimon played 12 minutes in the Blue Devils’ loss at No. 8 Notre Dame Wednesday night.
Jan 29, 2015, 4:15 PM EST
The Eastern Washington guard has received more attention nationally in recent weeks, and it’s well-deserved.
Jan 29, 2015, 3:28 PM EST
At the very least, he’s the most valuable player in the country.
Jan 29, 2015, 2:30 PM EST
Donnie Tyndall’s trail of destruction in Hattiesburg continues to grow.
Jan 29, 2015, 1:09 PM EST
Melo Trimble vs. D’Angelo Russell will be worth the two hours.
Jan 29, 2015, 11:49 AM EST
That hashtag, though.
Jan 29, 2015, 11:14 AM EST
It looks like T.J.’s got jokes.
Jan 29, 2015, 10:04 AM EST
Cottrill was once ranked above Shabazz Napier and Aaron Craft, among many others.
Jan 29, 2015, 9:08 AM EST
Rysheed Jordan averages 13.4 points.
Jan 29, 2015, 12:14 AM EST
I love this move.
Jan 28, 2015, 11:24 PM EST
Rhode Island moved to 14-5 overall and 6-2 in Atlantic 10 play with the win over Fordham.
Jan 28, 2015, 10:52 PM EST
The Huskies will be short one perimeter option when they take on Cincinnati Thursday night.
Jan 28, 2015, 9:56 PM EST
Jerian Grant was the headliner for the Fighting Irish, but he had plenty of help as they erased a ten-point second half deficit.
Jan 28, 2015, 9:37 PM EST
The night is only getting started.
Jan 28, 2015, 6:25 PM EST
Nine uncommitted players, with Duke and (get this) LSU leading the way with two each.
Jan 28, 2015, 5:54 PM EST
The year of Maryland’s lone national title (2002) and the program’s former home can be seen in the graphics on this special shoe.
Jan 28, 2015, 3:00 PM EST
Johnson was considering some other high major programs.
Jan 28, 2015, 1:27 PM EST
Can you guess who those two are?
Jan 28, 2015, 12:39 PM EST
Travis is a key piece for the Cardinal front court.
Jan 28, 2015, 11:17 AM EST
A thrilling top ten battle highlights the night.
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 0
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 1
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 3
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Iowa’s Fran McCaffery on Dan Dakich’s criticism of a player: ‘He’s a TV guy. If he was a coach, he’d be coaching’ (5)
- Two former North Carolina athletes sue school, NCAA over academic scandal (4)