Dec 28, 2012, 1:04 AM EDT
Game of the Night: New Mexico 55, No. 8 Cincinnati 54
It’s tough for low-scoring games to be thrillers, especially when the first half ends up being so ugly. But that’s precisely what the battle between the Lobos and the Bearcats ended up being. There was one two minute stretch in the second half where Cincinnati and New Mexico exchanged bucket after bucket for four possessions, which ultimately ended with UNM taking a 55-54 lead with 2:28 left thanks to Tony Snell. Neither team would score again, but it wasn’t for the lack of opportunities. Sean Kilpatrick had a jumper blocked in the final seconds, and while David Nyarsuk grabbed the loose ball and flung it off the glass and in, the shot came after the buzzer. It was Cincinnati’s first loss of the season.
Western Illinois 73, Oakland 63: The Leathernecks were led by 19 points and eight boards from Terell Parks as they shot 62.5% from the floor and moved to 3-0 in the Summit League with the win.
Western Kentucky 76, Florida International 63: George Fant had 24 points and Brandon Harris added 13 points, 10 boards and six assists as the Hilltoppers moved to 3-0 in the Sun Belt despite playing without Jared Crook, their second-leading scorer. WKU had lost three straight games.
Stephen Holt, St. Mary’s: Holy has been sidelined for nearly a month with a bone bruise in his left knee. He sat out four games, returning to the lineup to score four points in just 16 minutes in the Gaels’ loss to Northern Iowa. On Thursday night, Holt led the Gaels with 17 points in a win over Rhode Island.
Cincinnati’s big men: As a team, the Bearcats were 9-38 from inside the arc. The six front court players that saw action on Thursday finished with 13 points in 99 minutes. They were 6-22 from the floor and didn’t attempt a single free throw.
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)
- Wichita State forward working hard to improve offensive repertoire (3)