Dec 28, 2012, 1:04 AM EDT
Game of the Night: New Mexico 55, No. 8 Cincinnati 54
It’s tough for low-scoring games to be thrillers, especially when the first half ends up being so ugly. But that’s precisely what the battle between the Lobos and the Bearcats ended up being. There was one two minute stretch in the second half where Cincinnati and New Mexico exchanged bucket after bucket for four possessions, which ultimately ended with UNM taking a 55-54 lead with 2:28 left thanks to Tony Snell. Neither team would score again, but it wasn’t for the lack of opportunities. Sean Kilpatrick had a jumper blocked in the final seconds, and while David Nyarsuk grabbed the loose ball and flung it off the glass and in, the shot came after the buzzer. It was Cincinnati’s first loss of the season.
Western Illinois 73, Oakland 63: The Leathernecks were led by 19 points and eight boards from Terell Parks as they shot 62.5% from the floor and moved to 3-0 in the Summit League with the win.
Western Kentucky 76, Florida International 63: George Fant had 24 points and Brandon Harris added 13 points, 10 boards and six assists as the Hilltoppers moved to 3-0 in the Sun Belt despite playing without Jared Crook, their second-leading scorer. WKU had lost three straight games.
Stephen Holt, St. Mary’s: Holy has been sidelined for nearly a month with a bone bruise in his left knee. He sat out four games, returning to the lineup to score four points in just 16 minutes in the Gaels’ loss to Northern Iowa. On Thursday night, Holt led the Gaels with 17 points in a win over Rhode Island.
Cincinnati’s big men: As a team, the Bearcats were 9-38 from inside the arc. The six front court players that saw action on Thursday finished with 13 points in 99 minutes. They were 6-22 from the floor and didn’t attempt a single free throw.
- Jalen Rose planning a book about the Fab Five 2
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 1
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1