Dec 28, 2012, 1:04 AM EST
Game of the Night: New Mexico 55, No. 8 Cincinnati 54
It’s tough for low-scoring games to be thrillers, especially when the first half ends up being so ugly. But that’s precisely what the battle between the Lobos and the Bearcats ended up being. There was one two minute stretch in the second half where Cincinnati and New Mexico exchanged bucket after bucket for four possessions, which ultimately ended with UNM taking a 55-54 lead with 2:28 left thanks to Tony Snell. Neither team would score again, but it wasn’t for the lack of opportunities. Sean Kilpatrick had a jumper blocked in the final seconds, and while David Nyarsuk grabbed the loose ball and flung it off the glass and in, the shot came after the buzzer. It was Cincinnati’s first loss of the season.
Western Illinois 73, Oakland 63: The Leathernecks were led by 19 points and eight boards from Terell Parks as they shot 62.5% from the floor and moved to 3-0 in the Summit League with the win.
Western Kentucky 76, Florida International 63: George Fant had 24 points and Brandon Harris added 13 points, 10 boards and six assists as the Hilltoppers moved to 3-0 in the Sun Belt despite playing without Jared Crook, their second-leading scorer. WKU had lost three straight games.
Stephen Holt, St. Mary’s: Holy has been sidelined for nearly a month with a bone bruise in his left knee. He sat out four games, returning to the lineup to score four points in just 16 minutes in the Gaels’ loss to Northern Iowa. On Thursday night, Holt led the Gaels with 17 points in a win over Rhode Island.
Cincinnati’s big men: As a team, the Bearcats were 9-38 from inside the arc. The six front court players that saw action on Thursday finished with 13 points in 99 minutes. They were 6-22 from the floor and didn’t attempt a single free throw.
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)