Dec 28, 2012, 10:42 PM EDT
With seven seconds left and trailing by two, 68-66, Tucker Halpern took a pass in the corner, pump faked and drained a 3-pointer to give Brown a 69-68 win over Providence on Friday night (video below).
Halpern had eight 3-pointers on the night for a team-high 28 points, one point shy of his career high. With no Bryce Cotton in the lineup, LaDontae Henton had a game-high 37 points. Vincent Council, in his first game since Nov. 10, had six points, and nine assists in 38 minutes.
For Brown (4-6), this win over Providence gives first-year head coach, Mike Martin – a former four-year starter at Brown – his first signature win as a college coach, less than a month before Ivy League play starts.
An up-and-down season continues to be the theme for Providence. Ed Cooley entered the season with two prized recruits, Ricky Ledo and Kris Dunn, only to have Ledo ruled ineligible and Dunn out until mid-December with a shoulder injury. To make matters worse, Council, a preseason All-Big East first team selection, went down with a hamstring injury in the season-opener against NJIT.
The Friars started out the season with an 8-2 start, the only losses coming to a buzzer beater to UMass and a three-point, overtime loss to Penn State, in a game where PC played only six players.
Providence has dropped back-to-back games to Boston College and Brown by a combined four points and may be without Cotton.
Only gets harder for here for PC. The Friars start the New Year with Big East play against Louisville.
(Photo courtesy BrownBears.com)
- North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham comments on Rashad McCants situation 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? 2
- DePaul’s Purnell loses fifth recruit that signed letter of intent (3)
- Former Ole Miss star Marshall Henderson getting pro tryout in Italy (2)
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? (2)
- Report: Ex-Spartan forward headed to Ohio (1)
- Blue Ribbon releases their Preseason First Team All-Americans (1)