Dec 28, 2012, 10:42 PM EST
With seven seconds left and trailing by two, 68-66, Tucker Halpern took a pass in the corner, pump faked and drained a 3-pointer to give Brown a 69-68 win over Providence on Friday night (video below).
Halpern had eight 3-pointers on the night for a team-high 28 points, one point shy of his career high. With no Bryce Cotton in the lineup, LaDontae Henton had a game-high 37 points. Vincent Council, in his first game since Nov. 10, had six points, and nine assists in 38 minutes.
For Brown (4-6), this win over Providence gives first-year head coach, Mike Martin – a former four-year starter at Brown – his first signature win as a college coach, less than a month before Ivy League play starts.
An up-and-down season continues to be the theme for Providence. Ed Cooley entered the season with two prized recruits, Ricky Ledo and Kris Dunn, only to have Ledo ruled ineligible and Dunn out until mid-December with a shoulder injury. To make matters worse, Council, a preseason All-Big East first team selection, went down with a hamstring injury in the season-opener against NJIT.
The Friars started out the season with an 8-2 start, the only losses coming to a buzzer beater to UMass and a three-point, overtime loss to Penn State, in a game where PC played only six players.
Providence has dropped back-to-back games to Boston College and Brown by a combined four points and may be without Cotton.
Only gets harder for here for PC. The Friars start the New Year with Big East play against Louisville.
(Photo courtesy BrownBears.com)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 5
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 1
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 1
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 2
- Heartbreak fuels Renardo Sidney’s new sense of purpose 1
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- Iowa’s Fran McCaffery on Dan Dakich’s criticism of a player: ‘He’s a TV guy. If he was a coach, he’d be coaching’ (5)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (5)
- Two former North Carolina athletes sue school, NCAA over academic scandal (4)