Dec 28, 2012, 10:42 PM EDT
With seven seconds left and trailing by two, 68-66, Tucker Halpern took a pass in the corner, pump faked and drained a 3-pointer to give Brown a 69-68 win over Providence on Friday night (video below).
Halpern had eight 3-pointers on the night for a team-high 28 points, one point shy of his career high. With no Bryce Cotton in the lineup, LaDontae Henton had a game-high 37 points. Vincent Council, in his first game since Nov. 10, had six points, and nine assists in 38 minutes.
For Brown (4-6), this win over Providence gives first-year head coach, Mike Martin – a former four-year starter at Brown – his first signature win as a college coach, less than a month before Ivy League play starts.
An up-and-down season continues to be the theme for Providence. Ed Cooley entered the season with two prized recruits, Ricky Ledo and Kris Dunn, only to have Ledo ruled ineligible and Dunn out until mid-December with a shoulder injury. To make matters worse, Council, a preseason All-Big East first team selection, went down with a hamstring injury in the season-opener against NJIT.
The Friars started out the season with an 8-2 start, the only losses coming to a buzzer beater to UMass and a three-point, overtime loss to Penn State, in a game where PC played only six players.
Providence has dropped back-to-back games to Boston College and Brown by a combined four points and may be without Cotton.
Only gets harder for here for PC. The Friars start the New Year with Big East play against Louisville.
(Photo courtesy BrownBears.com)
- Jabari Parker on a potential move to two-and-done: ‘I think that’s ridiculous’ 5
- John Calipari appears on ‘The Colbert Report’ (VIDEO) 1
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)
- Indiana grabs commitment from prep school center (VIDEO) (6)
- Harrison twins awaiting feedback from NBA before deciding to return or declare (6)
- Jabari Parker on a potential move to two-and-done: ‘I think that’s ridiculous’ (5)