Dec 28, 2012, 10:42 PM EDT
With seven seconds left and trailing by two, 68-66, Tucker Halpern took a pass in the corner, pump faked and drained a 3-pointer to give Brown a 69-68 win over Providence on Friday night (video below).
Halpern had eight 3-pointers on the night for a team-high 28 points, one point shy of his career high. With no Bryce Cotton in the lineup, LaDontae Henton had a game-high 37 points. Vincent Council, in his first game since Nov. 10, had six points, and nine assists in 38 minutes.
For Brown (4-6), this win over Providence gives first-year head coach, Mike Martin – a former four-year starter at Brown – his first signature win as a college coach, less than a month before Ivy League play starts.
An up-and-down season continues to be the theme for Providence. Ed Cooley entered the season with two prized recruits, Ricky Ledo and Kris Dunn, only to have Ledo ruled ineligible and Dunn out until mid-December with a shoulder injury. To make matters worse, Council, a preseason All-Big East first team selection, went down with a hamstring injury in the season-opener against NJIT.
The Friars started out the season with an 8-2 start, the only losses coming to a buzzer beater to UMass and a three-point, overtime loss to Penn State, in a game where PC played only six players.
Providence has dropped back-to-back games to Boston College and Brown by a combined four points and may be without Cotton.
Only gets harder for here for PC. The Friars start the New Year with Big East play against Louisville.
(Photo courtesy BrownBears.com)
- Sources: Rick Barnes not expected to return to Texas 5
- Steve Lavin and St. John’s ‘mutually agree’ to part ways 1
- No. 2 Arizona pulls away from No. 6 Xavier, setting up West regional final rematch 0
- No. 3 Notre Dame knocks off No. 7 Wichita State to get to the Elite 8 17
- Tradition of success through change raises expectations at Xavier 1
- Sweet 16 Preview: The top 16 players left in the tournament 11
- Sweet 16 Preview: The x-factor in each game this week 1
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Kentucky moves SEC above .500 (23)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)
- NCAA’s Mark Emmert calls Indiana’s religious freedom bill ‘especially concerning’ (20)