Dec 28, 2012, 10:42 PM EDT
With seven seconds left and trailing by two, 68-66, Tucker Halpern took a pass in the corner, pump faked and drained a 3-pointer to give Brown a 69-68 win over Providence on Friday night (video below).
Halpern had eight 3-pointers on the night for a team-high 28 points, one point shy of his career high. With no Bryce Cotton in the lineup, LaDontae Henton had a game-high 37 points. Vincent Council, in his first game since Nov. 10, had six points, and nine assists in 38 minutes.
For Brown (4-6), this win over Providence gives first-year head coach, Mike Martin – a former four-year starter at Brown – his first signature win as a college coach, less than a month before Ivy League play starts.
An up-and-down season continues to be the theme for Providence. Ed Cooley entered the season with two prized recruits, Ricky Ledo and Kris Dunn, only to have Ledo ruled ineligible and Dunn out until mid-December with a shoulder injury. To make matters worse, Council, a preseason All-Big East first team selection, went down with a hamstring injury in the season-opener against NJIT.
The Friars started out the season with an 8-2 start, the only losses coming to a buzzer beater to UMass and a three-point, overtime loss to Penn State, in a game where PC played only six players.
Providence has dropped back-to-back games to Boston College and Brown by a combined four points and may be without Cotton.
Only gets harder for here for PC. The Friars start the New Year with Big East play against Louisville.
(Photo courtesy BrownBears.com)
May 28, 2015, 5:46 PM EDT
Video surfaced showing that Alie-Cox wasn’t involved in the incident, contradicting a woman’s claim that he punched her in the face.
May 28, 2015, 4:04 PM EDT
UConn’s now added three transfers to the program this spring, two of whom will be eligible immediately as graduate students.
May 28, 2015, 3:24 PM EDT
Foster led Clemson to their only Elite 8 appearance in program history.
May 28, 2015, 2:07 PM EDT
Paige went to high school an hour from UNI’s campus.
May 28, 2015, 1:15 PM EDT
Iowa State fans shouldn’t freak out too much.
May 28, 2015, 12:24 PM EDT
Dellavedova was a star with the Gaels before he became this year’s NBA Playoff star.
May 28, 2015, 10:47 AM EDT
Byers created the term “student-athlete” and first sold TV rights for NCAA broadcasts, but later wrote a book blasting the NCAA for exploiting athletes.
May 28, 2015, 9:52 AM EDT
This is a step in the right direction by the Big 12.
May 27, 2015, 11:27 PM EDT
It’s safe to say that Sherman is no fan of the NCAA.
May 27, 2015, 9:05 PM EDT
The shot clock won’t have as much of an impact on offenses as lessening the physicality of the game.
May 27, 2015, 7:31 PM EDT
The 6-foot-11 center was originally expected to attend prep school before joining Memphis in 2016.
May 27, 2015, 5:38 PM EDT
The 6-foot-6 southpaw showed off his arm, and was accurate in doing so.
May 27, 2015, 3:20 PM EDT
Matthews is the recruit everyone forgets about.
May 27, 2015, 1:32 PM EDT
That numbers is half what it was in 2015.
May 27, 2015, 12:45 PM EDT
Self and his wife created the Assists Foundation.
May 27, 2015, 11:09 AM EDT
Reed broke a cop’s finger while resisting a shoplifting arrest.
May 27, 2015, 10:28 AM EDT
Miles is 47-49 in three years with Nebraska.
May 27, 2015, 9:27 AM EDT
This swing is ugly.
May 26, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
DeAndre Ayton finally got a chance to play this spring and delivered in a big way.
May 26, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
Point guard CJ Walker is focused on seven schools during the recruiting process.
- #FredHoibergWatch officially commences today, as Bulls fire Thibodeau 3
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 37
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 7
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 3
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (37)
- Four men’s teams banned from 2016 postseason due to APR scores (10)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (7)
- Report: Class of 2016 four-star wing considering college among playing options for next season (5)