Dec 29, 2012, 3:10 PM EDT
Connecticut has signed head coach Kevin Ollie to a five-year extension after he guided the Huskies to a 9-2 record to begin the 2012-13 season, Andy Katz of ESPN.com is reporting.
Ollie took over as the head of the Connecticut program after longtime coach Jim Calhoun retired in September and he was granted a seven-month deal at the time. An official announcement from the school is scheduled for 5 p.m. ET.
Prior to taking over as the head coach, Ollie had long-standing roots with the university. He played for the Huskies from 1991-95 and graduated from the school before going undrafted in the 1995 NBA Draft. He would later play in the NBA for more than a decade.
Ollie then joined the UConn staff as an assistant in 2010 and was the heavy favorite to become Calhoun’s successor when he retired.
Connecticut guard Shabazz Napier told NBCSports.com at Big East media day that players on the team were motivated in part to help Ollie earn a long-term deal.
Ollie has helped the Huskies to a strong start, despite no possibility of postseason play. Connecticut is barred from the Big East tournament and the NCAA tournament due to an NCAA ban that stems from a low APR score.
“I don’t see obstacles, I see opportunity,” Ollie said at Big East media day. “It’s always been tough. I don’t see it like a lot of other people see it.
“Whether it’s seven months, seven years, or 27 years [at Connecticut], I’m going to take it one day at a time and I’m not going to take it for granted.”
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)