Dec 29, 2012, 3:10 PM EST
Connecticut has signed head coach Kevin Ollie to a five-year extension after he guided the Huskies to a 9-2 record to begin the 2012-13 season, Andy Katz of ESPN.com is reporting.
Ollie took over as the head of the Connecticut program after longtime coach Jim Calhoun retired in September and he was granted a seven-month deal at the time. An official announcement from the school is scheduled for 5 p.m. ET.
Prior to taking over as the head coach, Ollie had long-standing roots with the university. He played for the Huskies from 1991-95 and graduated from the school before going undrafted in the 1995 NBA Draft. He would later play in the NBA for more than a decade.
Ollie then joined the UConn staff as an assistant in 2010 and was the heavy favorite to become Calhoun’s successor when he retired.
Connecticut guard Shabazz Napier told NBCSports.com at Big East media day that players on the team were motivated in part to help Ollie earn a long-term deal.
Ollie has helped the Huskies to a strong start, despite no possibility of postseason play. Connecticut is barred from the Big East tournament and the NCAA tournament due to an NCAA ban that stems from a low APR score.
“I don’t see obstacles, I see opportunity,” Ollie said at Big East media day. “It’s always been tough. I don’t see it like a lot of other people see it.
“Whether it’s seven months, seven years, or 27 years [at Connecticut], I’m going to take it one day at a time and I’m not going to take it for granted.”
- For the first time in months, No. 22 Michigan State and Keith Appling look healthy 0
- Senior starters once again lead the way for No. 15 Cincinnati 0
- Doug McDermott’s career still missing the most important part: His One Shining Moment 2
- Bryce Cotton, Providence’s marathon man, looking to lead the Friars on a run to the NCAA tournament 2
- Bubble Banter: Colorado, Dayton the day’s biggest winners 2
- After win at No. 18 SMU, No. 11 Louisville is once again peaking in March 0
- Wake Forest beats No. 4 Duke as Blue Devils struggle to score again 1
- Undefeated regular season says all we need to know about No. 2 Wichita State (9)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- Finally at full strength, Michigan State sleepwalks through loss to Illinois (6)
- Kentucky hits rock bottom, loses at South Carolina (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest Top 25 (6)