Dec 29, 2012, 6:00 PM EST
Game of the Day
No. 12 Illinois 81, Auburn 79: The Illini struggled to score inside over Auburn’s sizable frontcourt, and Tiger guard Frankie Sullivan poured in 5 of 12 from deep in a game that was closer than it rightly should have been. Brandon Paul was a tad turnover-prone in this one, and scored just 13 points, but he and the Illini were bailed out by Tracy Abrams’ huge 29-point day.
North Carolina 79, No. 20 UNLV 73: Carolina still doesn’t look like the speed merchants of old, but the Tar Heels are edging closer to finding the point guard they need this season. Freshman Marcus Paige put in 34 minutes, dropped off four assists and scored 12 points in mostly half-court sets to help Carolina get back on track. P.J. Hairston showed some defensive chops with four steals, and Brice Johnson scored 12 points in 15 minutes, subbing in for a temporarily hobbled James McAdoo (leg cramps). Mike Moser’s return for UNLV was spoiled by five quick fouls that sent him right back to the bench for most of this one.
No. 1 Duke 90, Santa Clara 77: Kevin Foster saves his biggest games for Santa Clara’s toughest opponents. He scored 30 at St. Louis earlier this season, and poured in 29 in a serious upset bid in the unfriendly environs of Cameron Indoor Stadium. The Broncos raced out to a 5-0 lead to start this game, and regained the lead several times throughout an up-and-down game. In the end, Duke’s starters regained control, paced by double-doubles from Kelly and Plumlee on the front line, and 31 points from a hot-shooting Seth Curry.
Games of the Night
Xavier at Tennessee, 6:00 pm ET
George Mason at South Florida, 7:00 pm ET
UMKC at No. 25 Kansas State, 7:00 pm ET
Washington at Connecticut, 7:30 pm ET
No. 18 Butler at Vanderbilt, 8:00 pm ET (ESPNU)
- Weekend Preview: Iowa-Iowa State highlights a rivalry-heavy weekend slate 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Ten Most Disappointing Teams 0
- CBT Weekly Roundtable: Who are the top five teams as of today? 1
- The Chase for 180: Jahii Carson’s improved jump shot 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Top Ten Most Surprising Teams 1
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games (4)
- Why is Kentucky’s attendance going down? UK writer says Rupp is ‘stale’ (4)
- Turnovers, rebounding woes plague No. 3 Kentucky again (3)
- Late Night Snacks: Rhode Island rivalry and VCU’s overtime (2)
- Wisconsin guard George Marshall seeking transfer (2)