Dec 29, 2012, 9:32 AM EST
After Missouri’s overtime loss to UCLA Friday night at Pauley Pavilion, Phil Pressey probably isn’t focused on anything other than the 97-94 final score. Rest assured that many others are looking at his record-breaking 19-assist performance, which accompanied his 19 points.
Pressey is perhaps the nation’s best pass-first point guard, which makes the 19 assists against UCLA impressive, but not surprising. His ability to penetrate off the dribble collapses the defense and creates opportunities for the weapons Missouri has on the floor, including Laurence Bowers, Keion Bell, and newcomer Jabari Brown.
To put the numbers in perspective, courtesy of ESPN Stats & Info:
- Pressey had equaled his career high with 12 assists by halftime. That was one away from the school record, which he roared past in the second half.
- The 19 assists is the season-high for any player in Division I, passing a mark set by Syracuse’s Michael Carter-Williams (16 assists vs. Monmouth)
- The Missouri guard tied an SEC record of 19 assists, which was equaled only in 1976-77 by LSU’s Kenny Higgs and in 1967-68 by Tennessee’s Bill Hann.
- He was three shy of the NCAA assists mark of 22, held by Avery Johnson, Tony Fairley, and Sherman Douglas.
- Pressey’s 19 assists were the most by a member of a team from a BCS conference since Michigan State’s Mateen Cleaves had 20 assists in a game in 2000.
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 0
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 0
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)
- Colorado’s second half run a product of its focus on getting the ball inside (3)