Dec 30, 2012, 12:29 PM EDT
Each day, CollegeBasketballTalk brings you the “Pregame Shootaround,” which will lay out a preview for the slate of games that night. We’ll take a look at some key match-ups and important games, as well as make some predictions and point out what you need to watch for. Take a look below at today’s edition:
Note: The weekend editions of Pregame Shootaround will be published half an hour prior to tip-off of the day’s first game.
Game of the Day: Illinois State vs. Indiana State (1:05 p.m. ET)
On a Sunday that doesn’t have much in the way of high-major marquee games, this might be the centerpiece. Illinois State scores a lot of points, much of that coming from the senior duo of Jackie Carmichael and Tyler Brown. Those two alone average close to 36 of Illinois State’s 81 points per game on the season.
Indiana State won’t be looking to keep pace that way, but had two impressive wins in the Diamond Head Classic over the Christmas holiday. The Sycamores beat Ole Miss in overtime, then beat Miami (though, it is to be noted, without Reggie Johnson) on a late-second shot. They’ll have to shoot the ball well and limit turnovers to get a win Sunday.
Who’s Getting Upset?: USC against Dayton (7:00 p.m. ET, Pac-12 Networks)
Dayton is coming off a win over Isaiah Canaan’s Murray State squad, which gives them momentum against a Pac-12 opponent like USC. This is the perfect recipe for an upset: a down Pac-12 team against a mid-major on the upswing.
Dayton’s biggest concern Sunday will be to push the tempo and score points, forcing the Trojans to take bad shots and turn the ball over. USC shoots just 42 percent from the floor, so getting rebounds off those misses and getting out in transition will be at the center of the Flyers’ attack. Point guard Kevin Dillard won the duel with Canaan in his last time out, and now he’ll match up with another good point guard, Jio Fontan.
Mid-Major Matchup of the Day: Canisius vs. Detroit (3:00 p.m. ET)
Keep an eye on the backcourt in this one. Detroit’s Ray McCallum has been a threat throughout his career with the Titans, while Billy Baron has become Canisius’ best weapon since following his dad from Rhode Island and being granted eligibility to play immediately. Detroit comes in at 7-5, but has losses to Syracuse, St. John’s, Pitt, and Miami.
Both teams like to push the pace and put points on the board, led by Baron and McCallum respectively, so don’t expect a defensive battle.
Five Things to Watch
1. Virginia might be caught in a tough situation. The Cavaliers are coming off a loss to a previously 1-10 Old Dominion team and they meet a Wofford team Sunday that ground out a win over A-10 opponent Xavier. Does Virginia stumble again?
2. Indiana State made use of some late-game heroics to beat Miami in the Diamond Head Classic and now they travel back home to meet Jackie Carmichael and Illinois State. Missouri Valley play starts today.
3. There will be no rest for Northern Iowa. Fresh off a win over a good WCC opponent, St. Mary’s, the Panthers face an 11-1 Wichita State team on Sunday. Keeping the battle on the boards close will be key for UNI.
4. Canisius is an early-season upstart in the MAAC, already having beaten Temple. They travel to Detroit Sunday to face former McDonald’s All-American Ray McCallum. The Titans might be 7-5, but four of their losses have come to BCS-conference schools.
5. Memphis is one of the more notable teams in action Sunday. They take on Loyola (Md.), having won two straight.
Top 25 Games
No Top 25 games
Other Notable Games
Alabama vs. Tulane (6:00 p.m. ET, ESPNU)
Northern Iowa vs. Wichita State (6:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
Canisius vs. Detroit (3:00 p.m. ET)
Eastern Kentucky vs. West Virginia (4:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
Loyola (Md.) vs. Memphis (8:00 p.m. ET)
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- College basketball’s eight most important NBA Draft decisions 2
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 8
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 10
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft 11
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (10)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (8)
- 6-foot-11 center Antonio Vrankovic commits to Duke (6)