Dec 30, 2012, 12:29 PM EST
Each day, CollegeBasketballTalk brings you the “Pregame Shootaround,” which will lay out a preview for the slate of games that night. We’ll take a look at some key match-ups and important games, as well as make some predictions and point out what you need to watch for. Take a look below at today’s edition:
Note: The weekend editions of Pregame Shootaround will be published half an hour prior to tip-off of the day’s first game.
Game of the Day: Illinois State vs. Indiana State (1:05 p.m. ET)
On a Sunday that doesn’t have much in the way of high-major marquee games, this might be the centerpiece. Illinois State scores a lot of points, much of that coming from the senior duo of Jackie Carmichael and Tyler Brown. Those two alone average close to 36 of Illinois State’s 81 points per game on the season.
Indiana State won’t be looking to keep pace that way, but had two impressive wins in the Diamond Head Classic over the Christmas holiday. The Sycamores beat Ole Miss in overtime, then beat Miami (though, it is to be noted, without Reggie Johnson) on a late-second shot. They’ll have to shoot the ball well and limit turnovers to get a win Sunday.
Who’s Getting Upset?: USC against Dayton (7:00 p.m. ET, Pac-12 Networks)
Dayton is coming off a win over Isaiah Canaan’s Murray State squad, which gives them momentum against a Pac-12 opponent like USC. This is the perfect recipe for an upset: a down Pac-12 team against a mid-major on the upswing.
Dayton’s biggest concern Sunday will be to push the tempo and score points, forcing the Trojans to take bad shots and turn the ball over. USC shoots just 42 percent from the floor, so getting rebounds off those misses and getting out in transition will be at the center of the Flyers’ attack. Point guard Kevin Dillard won the duel with Canaan in his last time out, and now he’ll match up with another good point guard, Jio Fontan.
Mid-Major Matchup of the Day: Canisius vs. Detroit (3:00 p.m. ET)
Keep an eye on the backcourt in this one. Detroit’s Ray McCallum has been a threat throughout his career with the Titans, while Billy Baron has become Canisius’ best weapon since following his dad from Rhode Island and being granted eligibility to play immediately. Detroit comes in at 7-5, but has losses to Syracuse, St. John’s, Pitt, and Miami.
Both teams like to push the pace and put points on the board, led by Baron and McCallum respectively, so don’t expect a defensive battle.
Five Things to Watch
1. Virginia might be caught in a tough situation. The Cavaliers are coming off a loss to a previously 1-10 Old Dominion team and they meet a Wofford team Sunday that ground out a win over A-10 opponent Xavier. Does Virginia stumble again?
2. Indiana State made use of some late-game heroics to beat Miami in the Diamond Head Classic and now they travel back home to meet Jackie Carmichael and Illinois State. Missouri Valley play starts today.
3. There will be no rest for Northern Iowa. Fresh off a win over a good WCC opponent, St. Mary’s, the Panthers face an 11-1 Wichita State team on Sunday. Keeping the battle on the boards close will be key for UNI.
4. Canisius is an early-season upstart in the MAAC, already having beaten Temple. They travel to Detroit Sunday to face former McDonald’s All-American Ray McCallum. The Titans might be 7-5, but four of their losses have come to BCS-conference schools.
5. Memphis is one of the more notable teams in action Sunday. They take on Loyola (Md.), having won two straight.
Top 25 Games
No Top 25 games
Other Notable Games
Alabama vs. Tulane (6:00 p.m. ET, ESPNU)
Northern Iowa vs. Wichita State (6:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
Canisius vs. Detroit (3:00 p.m. ET)
Eastern Kentucky vs. West Virginia (4:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
Loyola (Md.) vs. Memphis (8:00 p.m. ET)
Feb 28, 2015, 7:35 PM EST
No. 1 Kentucky moved to 29-0, and No. 6 Villanova came back to win at Xavier.
Feb 28, 2015, 7:03 PM EST
The Cyclones lost at home against Baylor and then lost at Kansas State.
Feb 28, 2015, 7:01 PM EST
Kentucky has now won 46 SEC titles, and this group looks poised to add more hardware to the trophy case before the season concludes.
Feb 28, 2015, 5:13 PM EST
Having just seven scholarship players hasn’t kept the Flyers from playing a major role in the Atlantic 10 race.
Feb 28, 2015, 4:48 PM EST
The Shockers are once again champions of the Valley.
Feb 28, 2015, 3:45 PM EST
Kansas will be without Cliff Alexander against Texas on Saturday.
Feb 28, 2015, 2:27 PM EST
All the bubble winners and losers from Saturday’s college hoops action.
Feb 28, 2015, 1:55 PM EST
Jake Layman didn’t want to get dunked on.
Feb 28, 2015, 12:21 PM EST
Robbie Berwick is not going to like seeing this highlight.
Feb 28, 2015, 11:15 AM EST
Auburn will be without second-leading scorer Antoine Mason as he deals with the death of his father.
Feb 28, 2015, 10:00 AM EST
Marist’s Khallid Hart made the game-winning layup with 1.5 seconds left for the win.
Feb 28, 2015, 9:00 AM EST
A huge Saturday with 150 games and a lot of bubble action.
Feb 28, 2015, 12:17 AM EST
Here’s the rundown from Friday night.
Feb 27, 2015, 10:20 PM EST
An off-campus altercation back in 2010 led to a year-long suspension for the Villanova forward.
Feb 27, 2015, 9:15 PM EST
Jim Boeheim goes back almost nine years to describe Rakeem Christmas’ importance to this year’s team.
Feb 27, 2015, 7:20 PM EST
The starting guard has missed the last 11 games.
Feb 27, 2015, 6:00 PM EST
This isn’t the first time he’s done this in a game.
Feb 27, 2015, 4:45 PM EST
The Vandy coach was quick to apology following last night’s incident.
Feb 27, 2015, 4:25 PM EST
Derrick Walton Jr. hasn’t played in just over a month, but he’s still bothered by an issue with his right foot.
Feb 27, 2015, 3:20 PM EST
Floyd was ejected with 10:05 remaining in the Miners’ 77-60 loss at Louisiana Tech, and he failed to leave the court in a timely manner.
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 11 Wichita State, No. 19 Baylor among winners in games matching ranked teams 0
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 0
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- Bubble Banter: St. John’s with a huge win, N.C. State with an ugly loss 1
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 5
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)