Dec 31, 2012, 5:45 PM EST
The climb continues for Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim, who got win no. 902 for his career in a 96-62 victory over Central Connecticut State.
The win ties the long-time Syracuse boss with former Indiana, Army and Texas Tech head coach Bobby Knight for second on the all-time wins list, behind Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski.
It was almost a formality for Boeheim, who figured to pass Knight rather quickly.
What (way) more impressive than Boeheim getting no. 902 is that Michael Carter-Williams continues his assault on stat sheets everywhere with an 18-point, 13-assist and nine rebound game for the Orange.
Two other players for the Cuse, C.J. Fair (13 points, 10 boards) and Rakeem Christmas (nine points, 10 rebounds), finished with 10 boards each. Dejuan Coleman (13 points) and James Southerland (11 points) rounded out the five players in double figures.
The Blue Devils pair of 20-plus point scorers were held relatively in check, with Kyle Vinales finishing with 14 points on 5-of-18 shooting and Matt Hunter leading the team with 18 points on 7-of-17 shooting. CCSU was (get this) 9-for-35 from three. Saying they were heavily reliant on the three would be a gross, gross understatement. It made up over have their shots from the field with 66 overall.
But Michael Carter-Williams is currently shooting up draft boards. He’s a big guard with crazy court vision and the ability to do it all. At this point he’s a Top 5 pick, right? At least if he stays consistent. Big East play will be the big determining factor for that.
David Harten is a sportswriter and college basketball blogger. You can follow him on Twitter at @David_Harten.
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 1
- Heartbreak fuels Renardo Sidney’s new sense of purpose 1
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- Iowa’s Fran McCaffery on Dan Dakich’s criticism of a player: ‘He’s a TV guy. If he was a coach, he’d be coaching’ (5)
- Two former North Carolina athletes sue school, NCAA over academic scandal (4)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)