Dec 31, 2012, 5:45 PM EDT
The climb continues for Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim, who got win no. 902 for his career in a 96-62 victory over Central Connecticut State.
The win ties the long-time Syracuse boss with former Indiana, Army and Texas Tech head coach Bobby Knight for second on the all-time wins list, behind Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski.
It was almost a formality for Boeheim, who figured to pass Knight rather quickly.
What (way) more impressive than Boeheim getting no. 902 is that Michael Carter-Williams continues his assault on stat sheets everywhere with an 18-point, 13-assist and nine rebound game for the Orange.
Two other players for the Cuse, C.J. Fair (13 points, 10 boards) and Rakeem Christmas (nine points, 10 rebounds), finished with 10 boards each. Dejuan Coleman (13 points) and James Southerland (11 points) rounded out the five players in double figures.
The Blue Devils pair of 20-plus point scorers were held relatively in check, with Kyle Vinales finishing with 14 points on 5-of-18 shooting and Matt Hunter leading the team with 18 points on 7-of-17 shooting. CCSU was (get this) 9-for-35 from three. Saying they were heavily reliant on the three would be a gross, gross understatement. It made up over have their shots from the field with 66 overall.
But Michael Carter-Williams is currently shooting up draft boards. He’s a big guard with crazy court vision and the ability to do it all. At this point he’s a Top 5 pick, right? At least if he stays consistent. Big East play will be the big determining factor for that.
David Harten is a sportswriter and college basketball blogger. You can follow him on Twitter at @David_Harten.
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 3
- College basketball’s eight most important NBA Draft decisions 1
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 8
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 10
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft 11
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft 8
- Bobby Portis announces that he is turning pro 0
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (10)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (8)
- 6-foot-11 center Antonio Vrankovic commits to Duke (6)