Dec 31, 2012, 5:45 PM EDT
The climb continues for Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim, who got win no. 902 for his career in a 96-62 victory over Central Connecticut State.
The win ties the long-time Syracuse boss with former Indiana, Army and Texas Tech head coach Bobby Knight for second on the all-time wins list, behind Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski.
It was almost a formality for Boeheim, who figured to pass Knight rather quickly.
What (way) more impressive than Boeheim getting no. 902 is that Michael Carter-Williams continues his assault on stat sheets everywhere with an 18-point, 13-assist and nine rebound game for the Orange.
Two other players for the Cuse, C.J. Fair (13 points, 10 boards) and Rakeem Christmas (nine points, 10 rebounds), finished with 10 boards each. Dejuan Coleman (13 points) and James Southerland (11 points) rounded out the five players in double figures.
The Blue Devils pair of 20-plus point scorers were held relatively in check, with Kyle Vinales finishing with 14 points on 5-of-18 shooting and Matt Hunter leading the team with 18 points on 7-of-17 shooting. CCSU was (get this) 9-for-35 from three. Saying they were heavily reliant on the three would be a gross, gross understatement. It made up over have their shots from the field with 66 overall.
But Michael Carter-Williams is currently shooting up draft boards. He’s a big guard with crazy court vision and the ability to do it all. At this point he’s a Top 5 pick, right? At least if he stays consistent. Big East play will be the big determining factor for that.
David Harten is a sportswriter and college basketball blogger. You can follow him on Twitter at @David_Harten.
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 0
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status (2)
- The latest allegations against Doug Wojcik involve a physical confrontation (2)
- Coach K: ‘I do not see an end of my road in my college coaching’ (1)