Dec 31, 2012, 5:45 PM EST
The climb continues for Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim, who got win no. 902 for his career in a 96-62 victory over Central Connecticut State.
The win ties the long-time Syracuse boss with former Indiana, Army and Texas Tech head coach Bobby Knight for second on the all-time wins list, behind Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski.
It was almost a formality for Boeheim, who figured to pass Knight rather quickly.
What (way) more impressive than Boeheim getting no. 902 is that Michael Carter-Williams continues his assault on stat sheets everywhere with an 18-point, 13-assist and nine rebound game for the Orange.
Two other players for the Cuse, C.J. Fair (13 points, 10 boards) and Rakeem Christmas (nine points, 10 rebounds), finished with 10 boards each. Dejuan Coleman (13 points) and James Southerland (11 points) rounded out the five players in double figures.
The Blue Devils pair of 20-plus point scorers were held relatively in check, with Kyle Vinales finishing with 14 points on 5-of-18 shooting and Matt Hunter leading the team with 18 points on 7-of-17 shooting. CCSU was (get this) 9-for-35 from three. Saying they were heavily reliant on the three would be a gross, gross understatement. It made up over have their shots from the field with 66 overall.
But Michael Carter-Williams is currently shooting up draft boards. He’s a big guard with crazy court vision and the ability to do it all. At this point he’s a Top 5 pick, right? At least if he stays consistent. Big East play will be the big determining factor for that.
David Harten is a sportswriter and college basketball blogger. You can follow him on Twitter at @David_Harten.
- Chase for 180: So far, so good for Virginia’s Justin Anderson 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Kansas Jayhawks 0
- Wichita State’s offensive struggles highlighted by come-from-behind win vs. Alabama 1
- Michigan State’s efficient three-point shooting is key for 2014-15 success 0
- No. 11 Wichita State rallies from 11 down to beat Alabama thanks to Van Vleet (VIDEO) 0
- The Ten Most Important Midseason Additions 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: New faces are popping up in our top ten 0
- Dana Altman says Oregon’s hands up, don’t shoot protest not ‘appropriate time’ (20)
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (5)
- Self says No. 10 Kansas is ‘not good right now’, and that should scare you (4)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (4)