Dec 31, 2012, 5:45 PM EDT
The climb continues for Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim, who got win no. 902 for his career in a 96-62 victory over Central Connecticut State.
The win ties the long-time Syracuse boss with former Indiana, Army and Texas Tech head coach Bobby Knight for second on the all-time wins list, behind Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski.
It was almost a formality for Boeheim, who figured to pass Knight rather quickly.
What (way) more impressive than Boeheim getting no. 902 is that Michael Carter-Williams continues his assault on stat sheets everywhere with an 18-point, 13-assist and nine rebound game for the Orange.
Two other players for the Cuse, C.J. Fair (13 points, 10 boards) and Rakeem Christmas (nine points, 10 rebounds), finished with 10 boards each. Dejuan Coleman (13 points) and James Southerland (11 points) rounded out the five players in double figures.
The Blue Devils pair of 20-plus point scorers were held relatively in check, with Kyle Vinales finishing with 14 points on 5-of-18 shooting and Matt Hunter leading the team with 18 points on 7-of-17 shooting. CCSU was (get this) 9-for-35 from three. Saying they were heavily reliant on the three would be a gross, gross understatement. It made up over have their shots from the field with 66 overall.
But Michael Carter-Williams is currently shooting up draft boards. He’s a big guard with crazy court vision and the ability to do it all. At this point he’s a Top 5 pick, right? At least if he stays consistent. Big East play will be the big determining factor for that.
David Harten is a sportswriter and college basketball blogger. You can follow him on Twitter at @David_Harten.
- Louisville’s Terry Rozier is ready for his bigger role this season 0
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- Four-star shooting guard verbally commits to UCLA 0
- Michigan State’s Tom Izzo takes the #icebucketchallenge (VIDEO) (5)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- John Calipari calls Mike Francesa’s radio show to complain about a critique (AUDIO) (5)
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ (4)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)