Dec 31, 2012, 6:40 PM EDT
Indiana was able to hold off Iowa in a 69-65 victory at Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Monday, and they did it without anything from Jordan Hulls, offensively. Literally.
The senior guard who has been the deep threat and the offensive stalwart on the perimeter for the Hoosiers finished with no points after missing all 10 of his shots, including four three-pointers.
Hulls had an off-day shooting, and finished with six assists, three rebounds and two steals in the win.
That’s got to be a disconcerting sign for Indiana fans. He’s the most reliable perimeter threat for the team and makes them tick whenever Cody Zeller is off. Hulls averages 11.8 points per game and is hitting a ridiculous 54.4-percent from the three-point line on the season.
Playing their conference opener, that’s a bad way to start. If a team that’s rebuilding like the Hawkeyes are can hold him — which they did. Iowa did a great job of hedging perimeter screens and always keeping an eye on him — what happens when it’s time to play Ohio State? Michigan? It’s nowhere near a time to panic or anything, just a something to watch. Hulls has been the model of consistency in terms of scoring for Indiana over his four seasons, averaging 11 points per game since he was a sophomore.
Zeller, however, did Cody Zeller things on Monday, finishing with 19 points and 10 boards on 7-of-12 shooting in the victory. Victor Oladipo had 14 and Christian Watford finished with 11. Will Sheehey had 13.
Aaron White finished with 15 in 33 minutes and Roy Marble had 14 in 33 minutes for Iowa, who stayed in it despite a 3-for-17 shooting day from three. That has to upset Fran McCaffery, knowing that even an average day from the perimeter could’ve meant an upset. Especially when Marble went 1-for-14 overall from the field. Iowa was 21-for-63 (33.3 percent) overall from the field.
David Harten is a sportswriter and college basketball blogger. You can follow him on Twitter at @David_Harten.
Jul 29, 2015, 9:24 AM EDT
Suhr was on staff with the ‘Bad Boys’.
Jul 28, 2015, 10:04 PM EDT
Elijah Bryant will have three years of eligibility remaining.
Jul 28, 2015, 8:43 PM EDT
The Arkansas forward was charged with one count of forgery last week.
Jul 28, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT
The three-star forward failed to qualify earlier this month.
Jul 28, 2015, 6:21 PM EDT
Bobby Hurley off to a good start in his new gig in Tempe.
Jul 28, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
Tai Wynyard of New Zealand is the only commit currently in Kentucky’s Class of 2016.
Jul 28, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
John Beilein gets his third commitment for 2016.
Jul 28, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
If you can do things like this, you can play for Duke or Kentucky.
Jul 28, 2015, 3:58 PM EDT
The accusations against him include burner phones, hiding IP addresses and his mother’s cell.
Jul 28, 2015, 2:35 PM EDT
Don’t jump, kid!!!!!!
Jul 28, 2015, 1:34 PM EDT
Abrams was projected as the starting point guard for Illinois.
Jul 28, 2015, 1:03 PM EDT
The Bulldogs aren’t guaranteed to play a top 25 team until SEC play.
Jul 28, 2015, 10:49 AM EDT
He is talented, just don’t call him the next Kevin Durant.
Jul 28, 2015, 10:12 AM EDT
Will Wade will have a beautiful facility to recruit to.
Jul 27, 2015, 9:28 PM EDT
First career 3-pointer for Jones?
Jul 27, 2015, 8:12 PM EDT
Potentially four top-25 teams will be in the 2015 field.
Jul 27, 2015, 5:51 PM EDT
Scott averaged 15.7 points per game for Grambling during the 2013-14 season.
Jul 27, 2015, 5:18 PM EDT
The former Big Ten Player of the Year (inaccurately) trolls Ohio State fans
Jul 27, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
It’s pretty obvious why people like Porter.
Jul 27, 2015, 2:17 PM EDT
Gabriel was the biggest stock riser for the month.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)