Dec 31, 2012, 11:00 PM EST
A few notes from the last day of college basketball in 2012. It’s Late Night Snacks.
Game of the day/night
Gonzaga 69, Oklahoma State 68 – Kelly Olynyk scored all 21 of his points in the second half. Marcus Smart had a chance to tie with nine seconds left, but missed both free throws. Kevin Pangos score 23 in the win and the Bulldogs got their signature win of the young season.
Games of note
Cincinnati 70, Pittsburgh 64 – The Bearcats needed this win after the home loss to New Mexico. They got it thanks to Cashmere Wright’s 18 points and holding the Panthers to 0-for-10 from the three-point arc. Solid job by Mick Cronin’s bunch.
Minnesota 76, Michigan State 63 – Minnesota just keeps doing what they need too. Trevor Mbakwe is all the way back from the torn ACL with 11 points and 12 rebounds. Andre Hollins finished with 22 points and the Golden Gophers hit 56.6-percent of their shots. That’ll get you a good win at home.
Kelly Olynyk, Gonzaga - This guy was headed for the list below this one in the first half, but then got himself 21 second half points and nine rebounds, including some key plays down the stretch, in the Zags win at Okie State.
Cody Zeller, Indiana - Again, Zeller doing Zeller things. 19 points and 10 rebounds in the tight win over Iowa.
Kinu Rochford, Farleigh-Dickinson – When a kid drops 32 points and 11 rebounds, it deserves applause (so long as it is against a Division I opponent). Rochford did it in a win over Longwood. Well done, young man.
Kyle Vinales, Central Connecticut State - One the top scorers in the nation couldn’t get it done against, admittedly, a tough draw in Syracuse. He averages around 21 points per game, but Vinales finished with 14 points on 5-of-18 shooting.
Jordan Hulls, Indiana - The Hoosiers got the win, but a player that averages 11.4 points per game was held scoreless on 0-for-10 shooting.
Stuffing the stat sheet
Michael Carter-Williams, Syracuse - It’s almost not fair when I get a game on a night I’m on here, and it features MCW. 18 points, 13 assists and nine rebounds for the sophomore in a win over CCSU.
Fanbase that can take a breath
Gonzaga – The Bulldogs were fine coming into the game at Oklahoma State. But leaving Stillwater with a win was a whole lot better than a loss, which could’ve brought up the dreaded “are they for real?” question, being that their only other true marquee game this season was a loss at home to Illinois. Great win.
Fanbase that can take a seat
New Mexico - The Lobos could’ve followed a banner win at Cincinnati with a win at St. Louis. They could’ve furthered the theory that the Mountain West Conference was more than a two-team race (and in fairness, they still can). They could’ve showed the world that this team is for real. For tonight though, they didn’t. We’ll see what 2013 brings them.
It’s been a pretty solid start to the college basketball season. Now it’s time to turn the page to 2013 and see what conference play offers us. Unless you’re the fan of an SEC team, which you would gladly take playing non-conference teams (kidding!).
Happy New Year, folks.
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)
- Colorado’s second half run a product of its focus on getting the ball inside (3)