Dec 31, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT
Game of the Day: 2:00 p.m.: No. 19 Michigan State at No. 11 Minnesota (ESPN2)
How good are the Gophers this year? Well, they’re ranked in the top 15. And they’re 12-1 on the season. And they’ve beaten … Memphis? Stanford? Florida State? South Dakota State without Nate Wolters? You can only play who is on the schedule, and the Gophers have beaten everyone they’ve lined up against with the exception of the No. 1 team in the country, but that doesn’t change the fact that the Gophers’ ranking is a bit inflated due to the struggles of some of their opponents.
Michigan State is legit. They are big, they have athletic, they have a veteran ball-club and they’re coached by Tom Izzo. Keeping in mind that this game is played in Minneapolis, this may be our best chance to truly gauge how good Minnesota is this season.
Who’s Getting Upset?: 4:00 p.m.: No. 5 Indiana at Iowa (ESPN2)
You want to know how to make some money in Vegas? Bet on ranked teams playing solid unranked teams on the road. Especially in league play. Iowa is better than you think this season, and while they are a young team that is still getting better, I think they have the pieces to give Indiana some trouble. Roy Devyn Marble has been on fire of late, and Hawkeye fans will be hoping that a nine day layoff won’t change that.
Mid-Major Matchup of the Day: 8:00 p.m.: Harvard at St. Mary’s (ESPN2)
Harvard is coming off of a win at Cal in which their star point guard, freshman Siyani Chambers, struggled. St. Mary’s is better than Cal, but Chambers should put on a better performance than he did on Saturday night. Seeing the freshman go up against Matthew Dellavedova should be great entertainment for all those watching.
Five Things to Watch
1. 12:00 p.m.: No. 8 Cincinnati at No. 24 Pitt (ESPN2): Outside of a game against Michigan in the semifinals of the Preseason NIT, Pitt has been wholly untested in the non-conference portion of their schedule. They’ll be hosting a Cincinnati team that is coming off of their first loss of the season, which came at home against New Mexico. Are the Panthers for real? (And don’t call it an upset if they win.)
2. 6:00 p.m.: No. 13 Gonzaga at No. 22 Oklahoma State (ESPN2): Hard to believe that this could end up being the fourth-best game of the day, but that’s the truth. This should be a terrific gauge for both the Zags and the Pokes. Gonzaga finally has a tough road test while Oklahoma State will be playing their best opponent of the season.
3. 7:30 p.m.: New Mexico at St. Louis (CBS Sports Net): We know how good New Mexico is, but St. Louis is still a question mark. A lot of people picked them to win the A-10 this season, but they just got their star point guard Kwamaine Mitchell over the weekend. He had four points, five assists, three turnovers and shot 2-7 from the field in 19 minutes in his season-debut.
4. 4:00 p.m.: St. Joseph’s at Drexel: An intra-city battle between two schools from Philly that both need to prove themselves. Drexel has been a massive disappointment this season, while the Hawks have been far too inconsistent to be considered a threat for an at-large bid.
5. 2:00 p.m.: Bowling Green at Temple: The last time Temple played, they beat Syracuse at Madison Square Garden. The last time Temple played at home, they lost to Canisius. Which team shows up against Bowling Green?
The Rest of the Top 25
- 2:00 p.m.: South Dakota at No. 25 Kansas State
- 3:00 p.m.: Central Connecticut State at No. 9 Syracuse (ESPNU)
- 5:00 p.m.: UNC Greensboro at No. 23 NC State (ESPNU)
Other Notable Games
- 5:00 p.m.: Utah State at Texas State
- 7:00 p.m.: Nevada at Oregon (Pac-12)
- 8:00 p.m.: North Texas at Middle Tennessee State (ESPNU)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Sep 23, 2014, 3:57 PM EDT
The Final Four hasn’t been played in the western United States since 1995.
Sep 23, 2014, 2:32 PM EDT
Illinois now has three commitments in the Class of 2015, and there’s still a five-star point guard on the board that they’re pursuing.
Sep 23, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT
The 6-foot-8 forward has two years of eligibility remaining.
Sep 23, 2014, 2:05 PM EDT
This facility is a nice boost for a basketball program that has made one NCAA tournament appearance since 1992.
Sep 23, 2014, 12:55 PM EDT
The two-day camp will be held October 4-5 in Colorado Springs, Colorado.
Sep 23, 2014, 11:27 AM EDT
Breanna Stewart is the lone current college player among the finalists, with the team playing one final exhibition before the world championships begin September 27.
Sep 23, 2014, 10:10 AM EDT
The former Virginia Tech big man will work hard in 2014-15 with an eye towards being a primary option in 2015-16.
Sep 22, 2014, 10:40 PM EDT
De’Aaron Fox is one to watch in the 2016 class.
Sep 22, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
Purdue is offering to sell old game films using a company that hopes to do the same with over 600 colleges.
Sep 22, 2014, 7:47 PM EDT
Florida State added a big man in 2015 to go along with its three talented perimeter threats.
Sep 22, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
The Wolfpack have some new threads for the upcoming season.
Sep 22, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Creighton picked up a point guard in the 2015 class on Monday.
CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska invades Chicago, Wake Forest lands big recruit, Wisconsin gets another system fit
Sep 22, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
News and notes from around the world of college basketball recruiting.
Sep 22, 2014, 3:54 PM EDT
The image places alongside a column on the recent USA Basketball debate caused an uproar in the Bluegrass State.
Sep 22, 2014, 3:44 PM EDT
Kevin Stallings’ young team will play away from Nashville three times before the start of SEC play, with two of those games being played on a neutral court.
Sep 22, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT
The St. Anthony product is a valuable recruit for each of the remaining schools, as they all have the eventual loss of current seniors to account for.
Sep 22, 2014, 12:39 PM EDT
Having landed commitments from three forwards, the Flyers added a piece for their backcourt on Monday.
Sep 22, 2014, 11:58 AM EDT
The Simeon HS forward officially visited Nebraska this weekend, and both of his parents attended the school as well.
Sep 22, 2014, 10:26 AM EDT
Fans have three different designs from which to choose, with the winning option scheduled to be revealed next Monday.
Sep 21, 2014, 11:15 PM EDT
The Tigers, who won 25 games last season, landed their first commitment in the Class of 2015 Sunday night.
- Four-star 2015 shooting guard commits to Illinois 0
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 1
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska invades Chicago, Wake Forest lands big recruit, Wisconsin gets another system fit 0
- Four-star forward becomes Nebraska’s third 2015 commitment 0
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)
- Watch Kentucky fans sprinting to line up for Big Blue Madness tickets (VIDEO) (2)
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference (2)