Dec 31, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT
Game of the Day: 2:00 p.m.: No. 19 Michigan State at No. 11 Minnesota (ESPN2)
How good are the Gophers this year? Well, they’re ranked in the top 15. And they’re 12-1 on the season. And they’ve beaten … Memphis? Stanford? Florida State? South Dakota State without Nate Wolters? You can only play who is on the schedule, and the Gophers have beaten everyone they’ve lined up against with the exception of the No. 1 team in the country, but that doesn’t change the fact that the Gophers’ ranking is a bit inflated due to the struggles of some of their opponents.
Michigan State is legit. They are big, they have athletic, they have a veteran ball-club and they’re coached by Tom Izzo. Keeping in mind that this game is played in Minneapolis, this may be our best chance to truly gauge how good Minnesota is this season.
Who’s Getting Upset?: 4:00 p.m.: No. 5 Indiana at Iowa (ESPN2)
You want to know how to make some money in Vegas? Bet on ranked teams playing solid unranked teams on the road. Especially in league play. Iowa is better than you think this season, and while they are a young team that is still getting better, I think they have the pieces to give Indiana some trouble. Roy Devyn Marble has been on fire of late, and Hawkeye fans will be hoping that a nine day layoff won’t change that.
Mid-Major Matchup of the Day: 8:00 p.m.: Harvard at St. Mary’s (ESPN2)
Harvard is coming off of a win at Cal in which their star point guard, freshman Siyani Chambers, struggled. St. Mary’s is better than Cal, but Chambers should put on a better performance than he did on Saturday night. Seeing the freshman go up against Matthew Dellavedova should be great entertainment for all those watching.
Five Things to Watch
1. 12:00 p.m.: No. 8 Cincinnati at No. 24 Pitt (ESPN2): Outside of a game against Michigan in the semifinals of the Preseason NIT, Pitt has been wholly untested in the non-conference portion of their schedule. They’ll be hosting a Cincinnati team that is coming off of their first loss of the season, which came at home against New Mexico. Are the Panthers for real? (And don’t call it an upset if they win.)
2. 6:00 p.m.: No. 13 Gonzaga at No. 22 Oklahoma State (ESPN2): Hard to believe that this could end up being the fourth-best game of the day, but that’s the truth. This should be a terrific gauge for both the Zags and the Pokes. Gonzaga finally has a tough road test while Oklahoma State will be playing their best opponent of the season.
3. 7:30 p.m.: New Mexico at St. Louis (CBS Sports Net): We know how good New Mexico is, but St. Louis is still a question mark. A lot of people picked them to win the A-10 this season, but they just got their star point guard Kwamaine Mitchell over the weekend. He had four points, five assists, three turnovers and shot 2-7 from the field in 19 minutes in his season-debut.
4. 4:00 p.m.: St. Joseph’s at Drexel: An intra-city battle between two schools from Philly that both need to prove themselves. Drexel has been a massive disappointment this season, while the Hawks have been far too inconsistent to be considered a threat for an at-large bid.
5. 2:00 p.m.: Bowling Green at Temple: The last time Temple played, they beat Syracuse at Madison Square Garden. The last time Temple played at home, they lost to Canisius. Which team shows up against Bowling Green?
The Rest of the Top 25
- 2:00 p.m.: South Dakota at No. 25 Kansas State
- 3:00 p.m.: Central Connecticut State at No. 9 Syracuse (ESPNU)
- 5:00 p.m.: UNC Greensboro at No. 23 NC State (ESPNU)
Other Notable Games
- 5:00 p.m.: Utah State at Texas State
- 7:00 p.m.: Nevada at Oregon (Pac-12)
- 8:00 p.m.: North Texas at Middle Tennessee State (ESPNU)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Tom Izzo blames himself, new Will Ferrell/Kevin Hart movie on Michigan State’s sluggish Sweet 16 start
Mar 28, 2015, 10:55 AM EDT
Michigan State might have been the only people in the country watching “Get Hard” on Friday afternoon.
Former oddsmaker believes Kentucky would be underdog against all-time great college basketball teams
Mar 28, 2015, 9:40 AM EDT
Kentucky might finish the 2014-15 season unblemished, but how do they stack up against some of the best teams in college basketball history?
Mar 28, 2015, 12:52 AM EDT
Get caught up on all of Friday’s NCAA tournament action.
Mar 28, 2015, 12:35 AM EDT
ACC teams went 2-1 Friday night, with Louisville’s win over NC State being the league’s lone defeat.
Mar 28, 2015, 12:27 AM EDT
The schedule for Sunday’s Elite 8 games.
Mar 28, 2015, 12:23 AM EDT
Second straight Elite 8 appearance for Tom Izzo and Co.
Mar 28, 2015, 12:08 AM EDT
No. 1 Duke advanced to the Elite 8 with a win in the South Regional over No. 5 Utah.
Mar 27, 2015, 11:31 PM EDT
This is a pretty nice move from Amile Jefferson.
Mar 27, 2015, 9:58 PM EDT
Wardle spent five seasons as coach at Green Bay.
Mar 27, 2015, 9:47 PM EDT
Will play the winner of Michigan State-Oklahoma.
Mar 27, 2015, 9:39 PM EDT
Caleb Martin’s only two points of the game.
Mar 27, 2015, 9:26 PM EDT
Gonzaga defeated UCLA to advance to the Elite 8 for the first time under head coach Mark Few.
Mar 27, 2015, 9:22 PM EDT
Andy Toole has been with Robert Morris for five seasons.
Mar 27, 2015, 8:53 PM EDT
Nice big man-to-big man pass.
Mar 27, 2015, 8:32 PM EDT
Class of 2015 five-star center Diamond Stone committed during a surprise announcement on Friday night.
Mar 27, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
UNLV freshman Rashad Vaughn addresses NBA Draft rumors.
Mar 27, 2015, 8:28 PM EDT
One of three assists in the first half for Cat Barber.
Mar 27, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT
Aaron Harrison left Thursday night’s game briefly with a finger injury.
Mar 27, 2015, 6:50 PM EDT
For the second time this month, the Indiana athletic director backed the school’s head coach.
Mar 27, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
Arizona hasn’t been to the Final Four since 2001, but all involved are focused on Wisconsin and not that streak.
- Tourney Snacks: Duke-Gonzaga, Louisville-Michigan State advance to Elite 8 3
- No. 1 Duke advances to Elite 8 with win over No. 5 Utah 1
- No. 2 Gonzaga gets past No. 11 UCLA to advance to Elite 8 1
- Sources: Rick Barnes not expected to return to Texas 7
- Steve Lavin and St. John’s ‘mutually agree’ to part ways 1
- No. 2 Arizona pulls away from No. 6 Xavier, setting up West regional final rematch 0
- No. 3 Notre Dame knocks off No. 7 Wichita State to get to the Elite 8 17
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Three ACC, two Big Ten teams in Elite Eight (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)
- NCAA’s Mark Emmert calls Indiana’s religious freedom bill ‘especially concerning’ (20)