Dec 31, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT
Game of the Day: 2:00 p.m.: No. 19 Michigan State at No. 11 Minnesota (ESPN2)
How good are the Gophers this year? Well, they’re ranked in the top 15. And they’re 12-1 on the season. And they’ve beaten … Memphis? Stanford? Florida State? South Dakota State without Nate Wolters? You can only play who is on the schedule, and the Gophers have beaten everyone they’ve lined up against with the exception of the No. 1 team in the country, but that doesn’t change the fact that the Gophers’ ranking is a bit inflated due to the struggles of some of their opponents.
Michigan State is legit. They are big, they have athletic, they have a veteran ball-club and they’re coached by Tom Izzo. Keeping in mind that this game is played in Minneapolis, this may be our best chance to truly gauge how good Minnesota is this season.
Who’s Getting Upset?: 4:00 p.m.: No. 5 Indiana at Iowa (ESPN2)
You want to know how to make some money in Vegas? Bet on ranked teams playing solid unranked teams on the road. Especially in league play. Iowa is better than you think this season, and while they are a young team that is still getting better, I think they have the pieces to give Indiana some trouble. Roy Devyn Marble has been on fire of late, and Hawkeye fans will be hoping that a nine day layoff won’t change that.
Mid-Major Matchup of the Day: 8:00 p.m.: Harvard at St. Mary’s (ESPN2)
Harvard is coming off of a win at Cal in which their star point guard, freshman Siyani Chambers, struggled. St. Mary’s is better than Cal, but Chambers should put on a better performance than he did on Saturday night. Seeing the freshman go up against Matthew Dellavedova should be great entertainment for all those watching.
Five Things to Watch
1. 12:00 p.m.: No. 8 Cincinnati at No. 24 Pitt (ESPN2): Outside of a game against Michigan in the semifinals of the Preseason NIT, Pitt has been wholly untested in the non-conference portion of their schedule. They’ll be hosting a Cincinnati team that is coming off of their first loss of the season, which came at home against New Mexico. Are the Panthers for real? (And don’t call it an upset if they win.)
2. 6:00 p.m.: No. 13 Gonzaga at No. 22 Oklahoma State (ESPN2): Hard to believe that this could end up being the fourth-best game of the day, but that’s the truth. This should be a terrific gauge for both the Zags and the Pokes. Gonzaga finally has a tough road test while Oklahoma State will be playing their best opponent of the season.
3. 7:30 p.m.: New Mexico at St. Louis (CBS Sports Net): We know how good New Mexico is, but St. Louis is still a question mark. A lot of people picked them to win the A-10 this season, but they just got their star point guard Kwamaine Mitchell over the weekend. He had four points, five assists, three turnovers and shot 2-7 from the field in 19 minutes in his season-debut.
4. 4:00 p.m.: St. Joseph’s at Drexel: An intra-city battle between two schools from Philly that both need to prove themselves. Drexel has been a massive disappointment this season, while the Hawks have been far too inconsistent to be considered a threat for an at-large bid.
5. 2:00 p.m.: Bowling Green at Temple: The last time Temple played, they beat Syracuse at Madison Square Garden. The last time Temple played at home, they lost to Canisius. Which team shows up against Bowling Green?
The Rest of the Top 25
- 2:00 p.m.: South Dakota at No. 25 Kansas State
- 3:00 p.m.: Central Connecticut State at No. 9 Syracuse (ESPNU)
- 5:00 p.m.: UNC Greensboro at No. 23 NC State (ESPNU)
Other Notable Games
- 5:00 p.m.: Utah State at Texas State
- 7:00 p.m.: Nevada at Oregon (Pac-12)
- 8:00 p.m.: North Texas at Middle Tennessee State (ESPNU)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Apr 18, 2014, 1:39 PM EDT
Arizona State announced Friday that guard Shaquielle McKissic has been granted an extra season of eligibility by the NCAA.
Apr 18, 2014, 1:03 PM EDT
Duke’s Rodney Hood made the news official Friday, announcing that he’ll be entering the 2014 NBA Draft.
Apr 18, 2014, 12:48 PM EDT
Family and friends of Lacey Holsworth gathered at the Breslin Center to celebrate her life on Thursday.
Apr 18, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
Kansas will hold a groundbreaking ceremony for the DeBruce Center on May 2nd.
Apr 18, 2014, 10:23 AM EDT
With the rise in graduate transfers, the NCAA is looking to change the immediate eligibility process.
Former Nevada forward Cole Huff free to transfer to non-Mountain West schools in southern California
Apr 17, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
The number of schools that former Nevada forward Cole Huff is prohibited from transferring to has been cut down to 38 following an appeals hearing Thursday.
Apr 17, 2014, 9:07 PM EDT
NCAA tournament participants Cincinnati, Creighton and North Carolina Central part of eight-team field in inaugural Emerald Coast Classic.
Apr 17, 2014, 8:16 PM EDT
The order of protection filed against former Missouri forward Zach Price by Earnest Ross was thrown out Thursday.
Apr 17, 2014, 7:17 PM EDT
After leading Green Bay to a 24-win season, head coach Brian Wardle’s been rewarded with a new five-year contract.
Apr 17, 2014, 5:56 PM EDT
Gonzaga’s added a fourth member to its 2014 recruiting class, with the son of Hall of Famer Arvydas Sabonis making his pledge to join the program.
Apr 17, 2014, 5:06 PM EDT
Former Houston players Danuel House and TaShawn Thomas met with an appeals committee Thursday in hopes of getting released from their respective scholarships.
Apr 17, 2014, 4:19 PM EDT
Rodney Hood is following Jabari Parker to the league.
Apr 17, 2014, 4:03 PM EDT
Is Frank Haith getting out of Missouri before they kick him out?
Apr 17, 2014, 3:25 PM EDT
Kentucky is still waiting to hear from four players on their NBA decision.
Apr 17, 2014, 2:33 PM EDT
UCLA will be a contender in the Pac-12 next season with Jordan Adams returning to school.
Apr 17, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
With less than stellar reviews from NBA folks, might the Harrisons be leaning towards a return to Lexington?
Apr 17, 2014, 12:35 PM EDT
Parker will be a top three pick in the draft.
Apr 17, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
Jacksons path from Murray State to Southeastern Louisiana is wild.
Apr 17, 2014, 11:43 AM EDT
Hill wrote a nice note to Marquette fans to thank them.
Apr 17, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
Five protesters from the Westboro Baptist Church showed up at UMass on Wednesday. 1,500 students rallied in response.
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 5
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)