Dec 31, 2012, 1:15 PM EST
Tennessee State knocked off Eastern Illinois in their OVC opener over the weekend, but it came at the same time as the Tigers released some bad news: star forward and NBA prospect Robert Covington will miss 4-6 weeks after having surgery on his knee to repair a torn meniscus.
Covington underwent the surgery on Friday, but he suffered the injury two weeks ago in a loss to Middle Tennessee State. The injury wasn’t initially thought to be too serious, but an MRI reveled the tear.
TSU has had a tough season, and losing Covington certainly won’t help. The Tigers were expected to be a contender in a conference that also includes Murray State and Belmont, but they went 6-7 in non-conference play.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 2
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 1
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)