Dec 31, 2012, 1:15 PM EDT
Tennessee State knocked off Eastern Illinois in their OVC opener over the weekend, but it came at the same time as the Tigers released some bad news: star forward and NBA prospect Robert Covington will miss 4-6 weeks after having surgery on his knee to repair a torn meniscus.
Covington underwent the surgery on Friday, but he suffered the injury two weeks ago in a loss to Middle Tennessee State. The injury wasn’t initially thought to be too serious, but an MRI reveled the tear.
TSU has had a tough season, and losing Covington certainly won’t help. The Tigers were expected to be a contender in a conference that also includes Murray State and Belmont, but they went 6-7 in non-conference play.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 3
- College basketball’s eight most important NBA Draft decisions 1
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 8
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 10
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft 11
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft 8
- Bobby Portis announces that he is turning pro 0
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (10)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (8)
- 6-foot-11 center Antonio Vrankovic commits to Duke (6)