Dec 31, 2012, 5:24 PM EST
Wyoming’s bid to stay undefeated just took a huge hit.
The Cowboys’ second leading scorer Luke Martinez broke his hand in an off-campus incident and is out indefinitely, according to Jason King of ESPN.com.
Wyo is 12-0 right now and Martinez is a big reason for it. He’s poured in 14.5 points per game so far in 30.5 minutes per game so far this season. The fifth-year senior guard also averages three rebounds per and was hitting 86-percent of his shots from the free throw line and was 42.2-percent from three.
With this, Larry Shyatt will have to rely even more on Leonard Washington and his 14.8 points per game, along with getting more out of Derrious Gilmore (12.5 ppg) and Larry Nance, Jr. (11.2 ppg). After that, the next-highest scorer fro Wyoming is Josh Adams’ 5.3 ppg.
But if there was one place the Cowboys could afford this, it’s at the guard spot. No one can replace the efficiency of Martinez, but Gilmore, Adams and Riley Grabau (5.1 ppg) are all guards who are capable of keeping the depth of the rotation, at least to an extent, sound. The Cowboys play SMU on Wednesday.
If there’s one thing to be worried about, really, it’s what is this “off-campus incident”? A fight? Could the authorities get/be involved? What was Martinez’s role in the incident?
The injury is definitely important, but equally as important are the details as to what this incident involves and if there’s any backlash that could also threaten whatever’s left of Martinez’s season if he comes back from the hand injury.
David Harten is a sportswriter and college basketball blogger. You can follow him on Twitter at @David_Harten.
- The Chase for 180: Nic Moore’s hot start 0
- Leslie McDonald has been cleared, while reports say P.J. Hairston unlikely to play this season 3
- Memphis loss shouldn’t feed narrative about Josh Pastner, big games 0
- Casey Prather’s star turn a boon for Florida 1
- South Florida holds on as Florida Gulf Coast’s buzzer-beater in double overtime doesn’t count (VIDEO) 2
- Report: Former North Carolina guard Will Graves arrested on drug charges at home owned by head coach Roy Williams (20)
- Kentucky is a flawed team, but does that mean they can’t contend? (12)
- WATCH: Southern Illinois coach Barry Hinson unloads in press conference (7)
- Weekend Preview: Iowa-Iowa State highlights a rivalry-heavy weekend slate (5)
- Difference between Kentucky, ’12 title team: role players? (5)