Dec 31, 2012, 5:24 PM EDT
Wyoming’s bid to stay undefeated just took a huge hit.
The Cowboys’ second leading scorer Luke Martinez broke his hand in an off-campus incident and is out indefinitely, according to Jason King of ESPN.com.
Wyo is 12-0 right now and Martinez is a big reason for it. He’s poured in 14.5 points per game so far in 30.5 minutes per game so far this season. The fifth-year senior guard also averages three rebounds per and was hitting 86-percent of his shots from the free throw line and was 42.2-percent from three.
With this, Larry Shyatt will have to rely even more on Leonard Washington and his 14.8 points per game, along with getting more out of Derrious Gilmore (12.5 ppg) and Larry Nance, Jr. (11.2 ppg). After that, the next-highest scorer fro Wyoming is Josh Adams’ 5.3 ppg.
But if there was one place the Cowboys could afford this, it’s at the guard spot. No one can replace the efficiency of Martinez, but Gilmore, Adams and Riley Grabau (5.1 ppg) are all guards who are capable of keeping the depth of the rotation, at least to an extent, sound. The Cowboys play SMU on Wednesday.
If there’s one thing to be worried about, really, it’s what is this “off-campus incident”? A fight? Could the authorities get/be involved? What was Martinez’s role in the incident?
The injury is definitely important, but equally as important are the details as to what this incident involves and if there’s any backlash that could also threaten whatever’s left of Martinez’s season if he comes back from the hand injury.
David Harten is a sportswriter and college basketball blogger. You can follow him on Twitter at @David_Harten.
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Everything you need to know about the College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon 0
- Bill Self says Cheick Diallo could wait ‘at least another month’ for eligibility ruling (12)
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Here’s what the new Illinois basketball court will look like (PHOTO) (2)
- Buffalo dismisses Justin Moss, reigning MAC Player of the Year, from team (2)
- Syracuse legend to undergo surgery on a brain tumor this week (2)