Jan 1, 2013, 6:12 PM EST
Bruce Ellington scored with 11 seconds left as South Carolina knocked off Michigan on New Year’s Day.
This would be huge news in the college hoops world, except for the fact that Ellington, who is arguably the most talented basketball player on the South Carolina roster, did it in the Outback Bowl.
Ellington caught a 32 yard touchdown pass to win the game, closing out a season where he finished with 40 catches for 600 yards and seven touchdowns. All seven of those scores came in the last eight games of the season, including a performance against in-state rival Clemson in the regular season finale where he had seven catches for 72 yards and two touchdowns.
Ellington has played four games for the Gamecocks hoops team this year. He rejoined the team at the end of November, averaging 9.8 points and shooting 39.4% from the floor. South Carolina went 2-2 in those four games, but Ellington sat out wins over Manhattan and Presbyterian over the last two weeks as he went back to work with the football team.
South Carolina has been playing better of late, and the addition of Ellington — a terrific athlete at the point guard spot that should fit in well with Frank Martin’s physical, defensive-minded system — will be a nice boost for a team looking to make some noise in a wide open SEC.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 1
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 13
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)