Jan 1, 2013, 6:12 PM EDT
Bruce Ellington scored with 11 seconds left as South Carolina knocked off Michigan on New Year’s Day.
This would be huge news in the college hoops world, except for the fact that Ellington, who is arguably the most talented basketball player on the South Carolina roster, did it in the Outback Bowl.
Ellington caught a 32 yard touchdown pass to win the game, closing out a season where he finished with 40 catches for 600 yards and seven touchdowns. All seven of those scores came in the last eight games of the season, including a performance against in-state rival Clemson in the regular season finale where he had seven catches for 72 yards and two touchdowns.
Ellington has played four games for the Gamecocks hoops team this year. He rejoined the team at the end of November, averaging 9.8 points and shooting 39.4% from the floor. South Carolina went 2-2 in those four games, but Ellington sat out wins over Manhattan and Presbyterian over the last two weeks as he went back to work with the football team.
South Carolina has been playing better of late, and the addition of Ellington — a terrific athlete at the point guard spot that should fit in well with Frank Martin’s physical, defensive-minded system — will be a nice boost for a team looking to make some noise in a wide open SEC.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- Karl-Anthony Towns becomes Kentucky’s third top overall pick in program history 1
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Jamal Murray’s commitment a huge boost for Kentucky (4)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)