Jan 1, 2013, 6:12 PM EST
Bruce Ellington scored with 11 seconds left as South Carolina knocked off Michigan on New Year’s Day.
This would be huge news in the college hoops world, except for the fact that Ellington, who is arguably the most talented basketball player on the South Carolina roster, did it in the Outback Bowl.
Ellington caught a 32 yard touchdown pass to win the game, closing out a season where he finished with 40 catches for 600 yards and seven touchdowns. All seven of those scores came in the last eight games of the season, including a performance against in-state rival Clemson in the regular season finale where he had seven catches for 72 yards and two touchdowns.
Ellington has played four games for the Gamecocks hoops team this year. He rejoined the team at the end of November, averaging 9.8 points and shooting 39.4% from the floor. South Carolina went 2-2 in those four games, but Ellington sat out wins over Manhattan and Presbyterian over the last two weeks as he went back to work with the football team.
South Carolina has been playing better of late, and the addition of Ellington — a terrific athlete at the point guard spot that should fit in well with Frank Martin’s physical, defensive-minded system — will be a nice boost for a team looking to make some noise in a wide open SEC.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 0
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 1
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)