Jan 1, 2013, 8:45 PM EDT
Chane Behanan has been playing some of the best basketball of his career of late.
He had 22 points as Louisville came from behind to knock off Memphis in Memphis two weeks ago. After putting up 28 points and 18 boards in wins over Florida International and Western Kentucky, Behanan went for 20 points, seven boards, three assists and three steals as the Cardinals knocked off in-state rival Kentucky on Saturday afternoon.
Which is why now, with Louisville’s first Big East game tipping off on Wednesday evening, is the worst possible time for Behanan to get sick. But that’s precisely what happened, as head coach Rick Pitino announced on Tuesday that the sophomore forward is doubtful against Providence. Behanan isn’t the only one that’s sick. Redshirt Mangok Mathiang, Pitino and assistant Kevin Keatts are also battling the bug.
“We’re a little under the weather right now, and our practices have not been good,” Pitino said. “I hope it’s not a long bug.”
If Behanan can’t play, freshman forward Montrezl Harrell will likely be starting in his place.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality 7
- Coach K on returning to Team USA: ‘There’s a chance’ 0
- New Mexico, former coach Steve Alford settle buyout dispute 1
- Ben McLemore denies former AAU coach’s allegations 0
- 2014 small forward Jordan Barnett generating buzz in the EYBL 1