Jan 1, 2013, 12:06 PM EDT
Each day, CollegeBasketballTalk brings you the “Pregame Shootaround,” which will lay out a preview for the slate of games that night. We’ll take a look at some key match-ups and important games, as well as make some predictions and point out what you need to watch for. Take a look below at today’s edition:
Note: The weekend editions of Pregame Shootaround will be published half an hour prior to tip-off of the day’s first game.
Game of the Day: Connecticut vs. Marquette (8:00 p.m. ET, ESPNU)
The college sports landscape will be dominated by college football on Tuesday, but Connecticut-Marquette provides a nice college basketball nightcap.
As Big East play gets underway, the focus for Connecticut will be where it has had success all year–the backcourt. Ryan Boatright and Shabazz Napier make up a duo that accounts for a large chunk of the Huskies’ scoring. Freshman Omar Calhoun has also given a boost, showing that he can be a legitimate third scoring option.
For Marquette, scoring has been about balance. The Golden Eagles are working Todd Mayo into the rotation since he returned Dec. 22 against LSU. Vander Blue and forward Davante Gardner have both boosted their output since Darius Johnson-Odom and Jae Crowder left the program after last season.
Mid-Major Matchup of the Day: Stony Brook vs. Manhattan (2:00 p.m. ET)
By staying close until late with Maryland and nearly upsetting Seton Hall, Stony Brook showed that it will be a force in the America East this season. Guards Anthony Jackson and Dave Coley form a good inside-outside combo with freshman forward Jameel Warney. Warney chose Stony Brook and became a focal point from his first day on campus.
Already averaging 11.8 points and 7.2 rebounds per game, he can only improve.
Manhattan has struggled to a 3-8 start this season, but New York native Rhamel Brown is coming off a 25-point, nine-rebound performance against Columbia.
Five Things to Watch
1. Head coach Kevin Ollie is 1-0 since signing a long-term deal with Connecticut. Will stability help the Huskies continue their early season success?
2. The national focus has shifted away from Iowa State since Royce White headed to the NBA draft, but the Cyclones are off to a 9-3 start and are in the nation’s Top 10 in scoring and rebounding.
3. Maryland has won 11 straight games since losing to Kentucky to open the season. They tip against IUPUI at 3:00 p.m. ET.
4. Clemson hit a speed bump on the road against Coastal Carolina on Dec. 19, but face Citadel Tuesday at home.
5. Hofstra is working with a short bench due to injury and suspension, which hasn’t made the early schedule any easier. They face Florida Atlantic on Tuesday.
Top 25 Games
No Top 25 games
Other Notable Games
IUPUI vs. Maryland (3:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
Yale vs. Iowa State (1:00 p.m. ET)
Citadel vs. Clemson (4:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
Sep 3, 2015, 9:05 PM EDT
The Bulldogs are guaranteed games against five NCAA tournament teams and could play more based upon what happens in the Battle 4 Atlantis.
Sep 3, 2015, 7:56 PM EDT
Virginia is trying to figure out the academic situation of Mamadi Diakite, who might enroll in 2015.
Sep 3, 2015, 6:51 PM EDT
This comes less than a month after AD Norwood Teague stepped down for his own alleged sexual misconduct.
Sep 3, 2015, 5:22 PM EDT
Joe Struggs, who didn’t enroll until last month, has been dealing with issues with both of his shins.
Sep 3, 2015, 4:15 PM EDT
This year’s Terrapins will look to match what Dixon, Steve Blake and company accomplished just over 13 years ago.
Sep 3, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT
Jalen Johnson is one of the best in-game dunkers in the Class of 2016.
Sep 3, 2015, 1:20 PM EDT
The Atlantic 10 released its full conference schedule. The league has 33 games on NBCSN this season.
Sep 3, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
Michigan State saw the newly-renovated practice facility when they arrived back from a trip to Italy.
Sep 3, 2015, 9:15 AM EDT
Josh Jackson won back-to-back MVP awards at the Under Armour Elite 24.
Sep 2, 2015, 10:05 PM EDT
With two seniors in their current front court, adding a big man helps North Carolina moving forward.
Sep 2, 2015, 8:00 PM EDT
Mullin threw out the first pitch at a Yankees game back in late-May.
Sep 2, 2015, 6:15 PM EDT
The men’s basketball freshmen will meet in New York City September 12 & 13.
Sep 2, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
The ACC is loaded this year, which will make for a fun conference schedule.
Sep 2, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
Mississippi guard Tyson Carter is one of the biggest stock risers of July.
Sep 2, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
Two in the Arkansas forgery case pleaded not guilty.
Sep 2, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
Josh Jackson and Harry Giles are staying on top of the Rivals150 in the Class of 2016.
Sep 2, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
The American has some talented teams entering the 2015-16 race.
Sep 2, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
Randy Kennedy returns in a new season ticket ad for Ole Miss.
Sep 2, 2015, 11:00 AM EDT
Jalen Rose isn’t done telling the story of the Fab Five. A new book is reportedly coming.
Sep 2, 2015, 9:50 AM EDT
Siyani Chambers is leaving Harvard for the year after a torn ACL.
- Jalen Rose planning a book about the Fab Five 2
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 1
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1