Jan 1, 2013, 12:06 PM EDT
Each day, CollegeBasketballTalk brings you the “Pregame Shootaround,” which will lay out a preview for the slate of games that night. We’ll take a look at some key match-ups and important games, as well as make some predictions and point out what you need to watch for. Take a look below at today’s edition:
Note: The weekend editions of Pregame Shootaround will be published half an hour prior to tip-off of the day’s first game.
Game of the Day: Connecticut vs. Marquette (8:00 p.m. ET, ESPNU)
The college sports landscape will be dominated by college football on Tuesday, but Connecticut-Marquette provides a nice college basketball nightcap.
As Big East play gets underway, the focus for Connecticut will be where it has had success all year–the backcourt. Ryan Boatright and Shabazz Napier make up a duo that accounts for a large chunk of the Huskies’ scoring. Freshman Omar Calhoun has also given a boost, showing that he can be a legitimate third scoring option.
For Marquette, scoring has been about balance. The Golden Eagles are working Todd Mayo into the rotation since he returned Dec. 22 against LSU. Vander Blue and forward Davante Gardner have both boosted their output since Darius Johnson-Odom and Jae Crowder left the program after last season.
Mid-Major Matchup of the Day: Stony Brook vs. Manhattan (2:00 p.m. ET)
By staying close until late with Maryland and nearly upsetting Seton Hall, Stony Brook showed that it will be a force in the America East this season. Guards Anthony Jackson and Dave Coley form a good inside-outside combo with freshman forward Jameel Warney. Warney chose Stony Brook and became a focal point from his first day on campus.
Already averaging 11.8 points and 7.2 rebounds per game, he can only improve.
Manhattan has struggled to a 3-8 start this season, but New York native Rhamel Brown is coming off a 25-point, nine-rebound performance against Columbia.
Five Things to Watch
1. Head coach Kevin Ollie is 1-0 since signing a long-term deal with Connecticut. Will stability help the Huskies continue their early season success?
2. The national focus has shifted away from Iowa State since Royce White headed to the NBA draft, but the Cyclones are off to a 9-3 start and are in the nation’s Top 10 in scoring and rebounding.
3. Maryland has won 11 straight games since losing to Kentucky to open the season. They tip against IUPUI at 3:00 p.m. ET.
4. Clemson hit a speed bump on the road against Coastal Carolina on Dec. 19, but face Citadel Tuesday at home.
5. Hofstra is working with a short bench due to injury and suspension, which hasn’t made the early schedule any easier. They face Florida Atlantic on Tuesday.
Top 25 Games
No Top 25 games
Other Notable Games
IUPUI vs. Maryland (3:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
Yale vs. Iowa State (1:00 p.m. ET)
Citadel vs. Clemson (4:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
Aug 27, 2014, 2:34 PM EDT
The top two is not a surprise. It gets interesting after that.
Aug 27, 2014, 12:28 PM EDT
He’s broached the subject a number of times this summer.
Aug 27, 2014, 11:03 AM EDT
At this point, comparing the two is unfair to Irvin.
Aug 27, 2014, 9:26 AM EDT
It may not be surprising, then, to hear that their new head coach is a product of Shaka Smart’s VCU staff.
Aug 27, 2014, 12:03 AM EDT
Richard Pitino had five recruits scheduled to join the program.
Aug 26, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT
The College of Charleston is looking to replace Doug Wojcik, who was fired on Aug. 5.
Aug 26, 2014, 8:07 PM EDT
This is the first commit in the Beavers’ Class of 2015.
Aug 26, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
The 6-foot-10 big man was dismissed from Missouri on April 10.
Aug 26, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
Some of the best high school players in the country appeared in Elite 24 this weekend in Brooklyn.
Aug 26, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT
Dayton adds depth to its point guard position for the 2014-2015 season.
Aug 26, 2014, 4:26 PM EDT
The younger brother of Enes Kanter will join the favorite to win the Horizon League.
Aug 26, 2014, 3:54 PM EDT
Porter Moser’s team should still take a step forward in the Missouri Valley.
Aug 26, 2014, 3:38 PM EDT
Pastner continues to recruit the state of Tennessee well.
Aug 26, 2014, 2:55 PM EDT
Some teams are unlucky in losses. It’s not bad luck when you blow games you should have won, though.
Aug 26, 2014, 1:09 PM EDT
Our top ten is different, but not by that much.
Aug 26, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
According to a report, there are six sites vying for four Final Fours between 2017 and 2020.
Aug 26, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Value Add is college basketball’s equivalent to WARP.
Aug 25, 2014, 11:10 PM EDT
UTEP took a blow to its 2014-15 season as two freshmen failed to make the roster.
Aug 25, 2014, 10:10 PM EDT
Xavier went 4-0 on a preseason trip to Brazil and got a lot of playing time for its inexperienced team.
Aug 25, 2014, 9:10 PM EDT
UConn gave a scholarship to a former walk-on.
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? 0
- ‘Value Add’ stat projects Utah’s Delon Wright as having a historic season 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Bruce Pearl gets welcomed by Auburn team, students after NCAA show-cause ends (VIDEO) 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- John Calipari can be a great coach with being an x’s-and-o’s mastermind 4
- John Calipari calls Mike Francesa’s radio show to complain about a critique (AUDIO) (6)
- Rupp Arena ranked college hoops’ best home venue, Cameron Indoor 31st? (5)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)
- John Calipari can be a great coach with being an x’s-and-o’s mastermind (4)
- Creighton’s logos draw ire of Major League Baseball franchise (4)