Jan 1, 2013, 12:06 PM EDT
Each day, CollegeBasketballTalk brings you the “Pregame Shootaround,” which will lay out a preview for the slate of games that night. We’ll take a look at some key match-ups and important games, as well as make some predictions and point out what you need to watch for. Take a look below at today’s edition:
Note: The weekend editions of Pregame Shootaround will be published half an hour prior to tip-off of the day’s first game.
Game of the Day: Connecticut vs. Marquette (8:00 p.m. ET, ESPNU)
The college sports landscape will be dominated by college football on Tuesday, but Connecticut-Marquette provides a nice college basketball nightcap.
As Big East play gets underway, the focus for Connecticut will be where it has had success all year–the backcourt. Ryan Boatright and Shabazz Napier make up a duo that accounts for a large chunk of the Huskies’ scoring. Freshman Omar Calhoun has also given a boost, showing that he can be a legitimate third scoring option.
For Marquette, scoring has been about balance. The Golden Eagles are working Todd Mayo into the rotation since he returned Dec. 22 against LSU. Vander Blue and forward Davante Gardner have both boosted their output since Darius Johnson-Odom and Jae Crowder left the program after last season.
Mid-Major Matchup of the Day: Stony Brook vs. Manhattan (2:00 p.m. ET)
By staying close until late with Maryland and nearly upsetting Seton Hall, Stony Brook showed that it will be a force in the America East this season. Guards Anthony Jackson and Dave Coley form a good inside-outside combo with freshman forward Jameel Warney. Warney chose Stony Brook and became a focal point from his first day on campus.
Already averaging 11.8 points and 7.2 rebounds per game, he can only improve.
Manhattan has struggled to a 3-8 start this season, but New York native Rhamel Brown is coming off a 25-point, nine-rebound performance against Columbia.
Five Things to Watch
1. Head coach Kevin Ollie is 1-0 since signing a long-term deal with Connecticut. Will stability help the Huskies continue their early season success?
2. The national focus has shifted away from Iowa State since Royce White headed to the NBA draft, but the Cyclones are off to a 9-3 start and are in the nation’s Top 10 in scoring and rebounding.
3. Maryland has won 11 straight games since losing to Kentucky to open the season. They tip against IUPUI at 3:00 p.m. ET.
4. Clemson hit a speed bump on the road against Coastal Carolina on Dec. 19, but face Citadel Tuesday at home.
5. Hofstra is working with a short bench due to injury and suspension, which hasn’t made the early schedule any easier. They face Florida Atlantic on Tuesday.
Top 25 Games
No Top 25 games
Other Notable Games
IUPUI vs. Maryland (3:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
Yale vs. Iowa State (1:00 p.m. ET)
Citadel vs. Clemson (4:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
Oct 24, 2014, 10:55 PM EDT
Tom Izzo does it again. Add it to the long line of amazing midnight madness entrances.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:24 PM EDT
Chris Mack and his daughters performed ‘Paul Revere’ at Musketeer Madness on Friday night.
Oct 24, 2014, 8:05 PM EDT
The Wisconsin forward is likely to miss a week or two
Oct 24, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
Ed Cooley adds a 6-foot-8 forward to the Friars’ front court.
Oct 24, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
The former Virginia Tech Hokie will be a big boost to SMU’s perimeter.
Oct 24, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
Manhattan and head coach Steve Masiello had some issues to address this spring, but thanks in part to their departed senior class the Jaspers are well-positioned to once again contend in the MAAC.
Oct 24, 2014, 5:05 PM EDT
One of the nation’s highly-touted bigs is closer to making a decision after eliminating two programs from his list.
Oct 24, 2014, 4:22 PM EDT
Jones became the second coach to lead LSU to postseason appearances in his first two years this past spring.
Oct 24, 2014, 1:52 PM EDT
Kellogg’s led his alma mater to 21 wins or more in each of the last three seasons.
Oct 24, 2014, 12:39 PM EDT
Georgetown holds a 35-29 lead in their all-time series with UConn.
Oct 24, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
Villanova went 29-5 last season and return essentially the same lineup. Why aren’t more people talking about them?
Oct 24, 2014, 12:13 PM EDT
Texas now has two four-star commitments, with Kerwin Roach joining Eric Davis on Friday.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
Of Baylor’s five verbal commitments in the Class of 2015 four are guards, including their latest commit.
Oct 24, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Kentucky’s on top, but who’s next in line?
Oct 24, 2014, 12:06 AM EDT
Syracuse’s men’s basketball and football programs are under investigation, with the stakes being higher for Jim Boeheim’s program.
Oct 23, 2014, 11:20 PM EDT
Joshua Smith averaged 11.5 points per game before being ruled academically ineligible last season.
Oct 23, 2014, 10:49 PM EDT
Cam Payne became the star of Murray State as a freshman, but he wouldn’t have gotten there if he had a back up. Why?
Oct 23, 2014, 9:53 PM EDT
The preseason favorites to win the Atlantic 10 added a new teammate Thursday.
Oct 23, 2014, 8:03 PM EDT
Shawn Lester averaged 11.9 points and 4.2 rebounds per game in the sixth man role last season.
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)