Jan 2, 2013, 11:54 AM EST
Two weeks ago, Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim became the third coach in the history of men’s Division I basketball to win 900 games. The milestone by the Hall of Famer has sparked the discussion of what current college coach could someday join Boeheim, Bob Knight and the all-time leader, Mike Krzyzewski.
Bob Huggins, Bill Self, Billy Donovan, Roy Williams, and Thad Matta all have realistic chances at notching 900 victories. Even John Calipari and Rick Pitino, who both spent years as an NBA coach, could someday join the three-man club.
However, Butler head coach Brad Stevens doesn’t believe he will reach that milestone.
“No shot. No shot. No shot,” Stevens told David Woods of the Indianapolis Star. “I’m not much into guarantees, but I guarantee that I will not get to 900.”
Stevens is on the heels of a milestone of his own; his 150th career victory, which he could get Wednesday night against Penn. At 36-years-old, has already been to two Final Fours and through his first five years has averaged 27.8 wins per game. And as Woods reports, is on a great pace to rack up the wins.
Stevens has already set NCAA records for victories in the first three (89), four (117) and five (139) years as a head coach. He would set the six-year record with 25 this season.
If Stevens can keep up the pace from his first five seasons, he would amass over 900 victories by the time he was 60. Vying an early retirement, there is a strong chance that the sixth-year head coach could be up there on the all-time wins list someday.
College coaches have been very modest and have downplayed the 900 win milestone since Boeheim eclipsed that mark on Dec. 17. Last week, Self, who has 487 wins at age 50, said he has no interest in passing Coach K’s record.
- Reductions in scholarship, off-campus recruiting will have significant impact on Syracuse moving forward 5
- NCAA sanctions Syracuse; 12 lost scholarships, nine-game suspension for coach Jim Boeheim 22
- Bracketology: No. 1 seed line remains unsettled 5
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Carolina Part Two, and which bubble teams have the most on the line? 1
- Bubble Banter: Davidson with a big win, Stanford in trouble, and … VCU? 2
- Justin Anderson out this weekend after undergoing appendectomy 0
- West Coast Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- NCAA sanctions Syracuse; 12 lost scholarships, nine-game suspension for coach Jim Boeheim (27)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (26)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (11)
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed (9)