Jan 2, 2013, 10:18 AM EDT
The California men’s basketball opened 2013 with a New Year’s Day commitment from one of the best available big men on the west coast.
Tuesday evening, 6-foot-11 center Kameron Rooks (Mission Hills High/San Marcos, CA) announced the he had committed to the Golden Bears via his personal Twitter account.
Head coach Mike Montgomery adds some size with to an already solid 2013 recruiting class. Shooting guards Jabari Bird (Salesian High/Richmond, CA) and Jordan Mathews (Santa Monica High/Santa Monica, CA) headline the class, while the Bears also have a commitment from Sam Singer (Ransom Everglades School/Miami, FL).
Rooks is considered one of the top remaining bigs on the west coast, especially after Aaron Gordon (Archbishop Mitty/San Jose, CA) cut California when he cut his list to three back in mid-November.
The newest Cal commit picked the Bears over Arizona, Arizona State, and Washington, according to Rivals.com. Rooks, the son of former NBA veteran, Sean Rooks, picked Cal over his father’s alma mater, Arizona.
The elder Rooks spent 12 seasons in the NBA playing for seven different franchises before retiring in 2004.
Rooks spent this past summer playing with Gamepoint in the AAU circuit.
I want to thank god that I’m able to announce that I’m committing to cal Berkeley GO BEARS!!!!!!!
— Kameron Rooks (@KameronRooks) January 2, 2013
- John Calipari can be a great coach with being an x’s-and-o’s mastermind 0
- Louisville’s Terry Rozier is ready for his bigger role this season 0
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- John Calipari calls Mike Francesa’s radio show to complain about a critique (AUDIO) (7)
- Michigan State’s Tom Izzo takes the #icebucketchallenge (VIDEO) (5)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ (4)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)