Jan 2, 2013, 10:18 AM EDT
The California men’s basketball opened 2013 with a New Year’s Day commitment from one of the best available big men on the west coast.
Tuesday evening, 6-foot-11 center Kameron Rooks (Mission Hills High/San Marcos, CA) announced the he had committed to the Golden Bears via his personal Twitter account.
Head coach Mike Montgomery adds some size with to an already solid 2013 recruiting class. Shooting guards Jabari Bird (Salesian High/Richmond, CA) and Jordan Mathews (Santa Monica High/Santa Monica, CA) headline the class, while the Bears also have a commitment from Sam Singer (Ransom Everglades School/Miami, FL).
Rooks is considered one of the top remaining bigs on the west coast, especially after Aaron Gordon (Archbishop Mitty/San Jose, CA) cut California when he cut his list to three back in mid-November.
The newest Cal commit picked the Bears over Arizona, Arizona State, and Washington, according to Rivals.com. Rooks, the son of former NBA veteran, Sean Rooks, picked Cal over his father’s alma mater, Arizona.
The elder Rooks spent 12 seasons in the NBA playing for seven different franchises before retiring in 2004.
Rooks spent this past summer playing with Gamepoint in the AAU circuit.
I want to thank god that I’m able to announce that I’m committing to cal Berkeley GO BEARS!!!!!!!
— Kameron Rooks (@KameronRooks) January 2, 2013
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 1
- The bond between Rick Byrd and Casey Alexander crosses rivalry lines 1
- How did Bill Self learn about Andrew Wiggins’ commitment? Twitter 0
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality 13
- John Calipari: ‘We’re chasing perfection’ (14)
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Big Ten considering ‘protected rivalries’ for basketball schedule (9)
- Federal tax documents reveal that Mike Krzyzewski made $9.7 million in 2011 (4)
- Evan Gordon is transferring to Indiana (4)
- Live Extra: Watch Sharks-Kings, Game 4
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Andy Murray out of French Open due to back injury
- PFT: Woodson returns to Raiders for up to $4.3M