Jan 2, 2013, 10:18 AM EDT
The California men’s basketball opened 2013 with a New Year’s Day commitment from one of the best available big men on the west coast.
Tuesday evening, 6-foot-11 center Kameron Rooks (Mission Hills High/San Marcos, CA) announced the he had committed to the Golden Bears via his personal Twitter account.
Head coach Mike Montgomery adds some size with to an already solid 2013 recruiting class. Shooting guards Jabari Bird (Salesian High/Richmond, CA) and Jordan Mathews (Santa Monica High/Santa Monica, CA) headline the class, while the Bears also have a commitment from Sam Singer (Ransom Everglades School/Miami, FL).
Rooks is considered one of the top remaining bigs on the west coast, especially after Aaron Gordon (Archbishop Mitty/San Jose, CA) cut California when he cut his list to three back in mid-November.
The newest Cal commit picked the Bears over Arizona, Arizona State, and Washington, according to Rivals.com. Rooks, the son of former NBA veteran, Sean Rooks, picked Cal over his father’s alma mater, Arizona.
The elder Rooks spent 12 seasons in the NBA playing for seven different franchises before retiring in 2004.
Rooks spent this past summer playing with Gamepoint in the AAU circuit.
I want to thank god that I’m able to announce that I’m committing to cal Berkeley GO BEARS!!!!!!!
— Kameron Rooks (@KameronRooks) January 2, 2013
- #FredHoibergWatch officially commences today, as Bulls fire Thibodeau 3
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 40
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 7
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 3
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (40)
- Four men’s teams banned from 2016 postseason due to APR scores (10)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (7)
- Report: Class of 2016 four-star wing considering college among playing options for next season (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)