Jan 2, 2013, 10:18 AM EST
The California men’s basketball opened 2013 with a New Year’s Day commitment from one of the best available big men on the west coast.
Tuesday evening, 6-foot-11 center Kameron Rooks (Mission Hills High/San Marcos, CA) announced the he had committed to the Golden Bears via his personal Twitter account.
Head coach Mike Montgomery adds some size with to an already solid 2013 recruiting class. Shooting guards Jabari Bird (Salesian High/Richmond, CA) and Jordan Mathews (Santa Monica High/Santa Monica, CA) headline the class, while the Bears also have a commitment from Sam Singer (Ransom Everglades School/Miami, FL).
Rooks is considered one of the top remaining bigs on the west coast, especially after Aaron Gordon (Archbishop Mitty/San Jose, CA) cut California when he cut his list to three back in mid-November.
The newest Cal commit picked the Bears over Arizona, Arizona State, and Washington, according to Rivals.com. Rooks, the son of former NBA veteran, Sean Rooks, picked Cal over his father’s alma mater, Arizona.
The elder Rooks spent 12 seasons in the NBA playing for seven different franchises before retiring in 2004.
Rooks spent this past summer playing with Gamepoint in the AAU circuit.
I want to thank god that I’m able to announce that I’m committing to cal Berkeley GO BEARS!!!!!!!
— Kameron Rooks (@KameronRooks) January 2, 2013
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 25
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- No. 4 Duke proves No. 19 Michigan State cannot win at elite level if they keep missing on elite talent 3
- Wofford’s grueling start to the season began well before their 7:00 a.m. game 0
- No. 13 Gonzaga makes definitive statement with blowout of No. 22 SMU 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (25)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)