Jan 2, 2013, 10:18 AM EDT
The California men’s basketball opened 2013 with a New Year’s Day commitment from one of the best available big men on the west coast.
Tuesday evening, 6-foot-11 center Kameron Rooks (Mission Hills High/San Marcos, CA) announced the he had committed to the Golden Bears via his personal Twitter account.
Head coach Mike Montgomery adds some size with to an already solid 2013 recruiting class. Shooting guards Jabari Bird (Salesian High/Richmond, CA) and Jordan Mathews (Santa Monica High/Santa Monica, CA) headline the class, while the Bears also have a commitment from Sam Singer (Ransom Everglades School/Miami, FL).
Rooks is considered one of the top remaining bigs on the west coast, especially after Aaron Gordon (Archbishop Mitty/San Jose, CA) cut California when he cut his list to three back in mid-November.
The newest Cal commit picked the Bears over Arizona, Arizona State, and Washington, according to Rivals.com. Rooks, the son of former NBA veteran, Sean Rooks, picked Cal over his father’s alma mater, Arizona.
The elder Rooks spent 12 seasons in the NBA playing for seven different franchises before retiring in 2004.
Rooks spent this past summer playing with Gamepoint in the AAU circuit.
I want to thank god that I’m able to announce that I’m committing to cal Berkeley GO BEARS!!!!!!!
— Kameron Rooks (@KameronRooks) January 2, 2013
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)