Jan 2, 2013, 10:50 AM EST
Last Saturday, Kentucky fell to Louisville on the road 80-77. Following the Wildcats loss, it was discovered that Kentucky got a little creative at the free throw line.
Towards the end of the first half, Nerlens Noel got fouled by Russ Smith, trailing 35-27. However, Noel, a 52 percent free throw shooter on the year didn’t take the shots, fellow freshman Alex Poythress did. Poythress is 64 percent from the line this season.
Head coach John Calipari has been criticized for the free throw fraud and on Monday addressed the incident, claiming he had no knowledge of the free throw switch.
“If I thought the wrong guy was on the line, I’d get him off the line,” Calipari told the media on Monday, also stating he has corrected officials in the past.
Calipari went on to joke about the free throw conspiracy, telling reporters that he was not on the grassy knoll, referencing the Nov. 22, 1963 assassination of President John F. Kennedy in Dallas.
He also disputed the idea he had Noel and Poythress switch at the free throw line, due to Poythress’ struggle from the charity stripe. The freshman forward was 2-of-6 on Saturday, while Noel missed his only attempt.
“Why would I put Alex at the line?” said Calipari. “He couldn’t make any shots. I would have had more confidence in Nerlens.”
Nov 21, 2014, 1:39 AM EST
There was also a double-overtime game in Charleston, and a buzzer-beating tip-in in Puerto Rico.
Nov 21, 2014, 12:36 AM EST
One impressive stretch of perimeter shooting may stand out, but Cal’s execution against the Syracuse zone was good for most of the night.
Nov 20, 2014, 11:15 PM EST
Through three games Villanova’s shooting 26.3% from three, but they’ve been able to make up for it in other areas.
Nov 20, 2014, 10:37 PM EST
I don’t know how much they’ll win, but Indiana is going to be a lot of fun to watch this season.
Nov 20, 2014, 9:43 PM EST
Johnathan Holmes sparked the Texas comeback.
Nov 20, 2014, 9:29 PM EST
2015 participants George Mason (2010) and Seton Hall (2011) will play in the Gildan Charleston Classic for the second time in the history of the event.
Nov 20, 2014, 8:36 PM EST
Caris LeVert led the way with 21 points and nine rebounds, and Michigan held Juwan Howard Jr. without a point over the final 5:39.
Nov 20, 2014, 6:59 PM EST
Dominic Woodson injured his left hand in practice Sunday.
Nov 20, 2014, 6:04 PM EST
More than sixty inches of snow have fallen in western New York this week, so it makes little sense to attempt to play a sporting event as scheduled.
Nov 20, 2014, 4:58 PM EST
Arizona, Michigan State and Providence all reached last season’s NCAA tournament.
Nov 20, 2014, 3:32 PM EST
Who is the most clutch player in the country?
Nov 20, 2014, 2:37 PM EST
The 2014 Maui Invitational kicks off on Monday.
Nov 20, 2014, 1:57 PM EST
I cannot respect your intelligence if you think Kentucky beats Philly. I just can’t do it.
Nov 20, 2014, 1:29 PM EST
The last two years, Wichita State, UConn and Kentucky have all made the Final Four as teams seeded outside the top six.
Nov 20, 2014, 12:45 PM EST
You have to love early morning basketball.
Nov 20, 2014, 12:30 PM EST
Sad: One of the sport’s most notorious coaches is struggling with his health.
Nov 20, 2014, 11:50 AM EST
All of today’s college hoops action.
Nov 20, 2014, 11:05 AM EST
There’s more to Shaka Smart than meets the eye.
Nov 20, 2014, 10:32 AM EST
Will we ever see Butler’s head coach on the sideline again?
Nov 20, 2014, 1:05 AM EST
It was a quiet night on the college hoops front, but one ranked team went down.
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 25
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- No. 4 Duke proves No. 19 Michigan State cannot win at elite level if they keep missing on elite talent 3
- Wofford’s grueling start to the season began well before their 7:00 a.m. game 0
- No. 13 Gonzaga makes definitive statement with blowout of No. 22 SMU 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (25)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)