Jan 2, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
Episode four of the College Basketball Podcast is here to ring in the new year. Host Troy Machir is joined by expert college hoops insider Jeff Goodman of CBSsports.com to check the pulse of the college basketball world.
The show opens up with a reminder of the podcast’s core values: We’re here to talk hoops. We didn’t bring Jeff on to ask him about his Christmas presents or his New Years plans. The CBT Podcast is dubbed “The best 30 minutes in college basketball” for a reason.
We dive right in to recapping the action and setting the tables for conference play. The Big-10, Big East and SEC are all discussed and Jeff tries his best to predict the top-5 in each conference.
But the overarching theme of the podcast is “leadership”. Michigan State is trying to replace Draymond Green, one of the greatest leaders in college hoops history. Louisville, who Jeff still thinks is the best team in the country, has a terrific leader in senior guard Peyton Siva. Across the state in Lexington, the Wildcats are looking for leadership out of freshman Alex Poythress, who has struggled recently to get himself involved in important moments in games.
Finally, we hand out some awards for the first two months. You will be surprised to hear who Jeff thinks is “most improved”.
So if you’re ready for the best 30 minutes in college basketball, click “play” or open the link below and let’s get things started.
What did you think about the podcast? Have a question you want featured on the next episode? Have suggestions about the format? Let Troy Machir know by contacting him on Twitter at @TroyMachir
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed 4
- Jabari Parker, Rodney Hood score 54 in No. 4 Duke’s win over No. 14 UNC 0
- Bubble Banter: Oregon, Tennessee headline Saturday’s early winners 0
- Creighton’s Doug McDermott scores his 3,000th point (VIDEO) 0
- Oregon’s big win over No. 3 Arizona caps impressive regular season turnaround 1
- No. 8 Kansas loses, but The Andrew Wiggins Show is what’s important 1
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league 5
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest Top 25 (6)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- For the first time in months, No. 22 Michigan State and Keith Appling look healthy (6)
- Bracketology: Eight teams in play for No. 1 seeds (6)