Jan 2, 2013, 1:21 AM EDT
Game of the Day: Marquette 82, UConn 76 OT
While the lasting memory of this game will be the substantial gaffe from the referees at the start of the overtime, it’s worth noting that the sequence that earned the fans in attendance five minutes of free basketball was one of the most entertaining finishes of the young season. With the Huskies up 67-66 and a five second difference on the shot clock and the game clock, Ryan Boatright his a tough fadeaway jumper at the shot clock buzzer to give the Huskies a five point lead. But UConn decided not to foul and no one called a timeout, which allowed Junior Cadougan to get a wide-open look at a three at the other end. He hit it as time expired. It was the first three the Golden Eagles hit on the night.
In the overtime, UConn had a bucket incorrectly waived off, and after Marquette scored and Omar Calhoun answered with a three to give UConn a one point lead, Vander Blue hit Marquette’s second three of the game, banking in a triple from the wing on a shot that Shabazz Napier nearly blocked. The Golden Eagles would go up 74-72 and never look back.
Starred: Greg Gantt, Florida Atlantic
For the sixth consecutive game, Gantt reached the 20 point plateau as he went for 24 in a 61-57 win over Hofstra. The last time Gantt scored less than 20 came against Warner South, when he finished with 19 points. The last time he didn’t break 20 points against a Division I opponent? November 18th. 10 games ago. He’s averaging 22.3 points on the season, good for fifth in the country.
The Jaspers have had a rough season as their star, George Beamon, has struggled to get healthy after injuring his ankle. They lost 50-44 to Stony Brook on Tuesday night, shooting 34.1% from the floor and committing 17 turnovers.
It’s worth noting that Stony Brook now leads the nation in true road wins. They have six of them.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)